2009 Honda Odyssey-- first oil change at 3.5K ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister got a brand new 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L (she got it for 32K + Tax = 35K, in case you're curious about the current market)

The dealer print-out sheet saids the FIRST oil change should be at 3,500 miles and then every *3,000* miles after that.

First. I learned from this forum that every 3,000 miles is unnecessarily often.

The maintenance schedule does not state what the OCI should be, which I find funny but it's true.

So, here's my question.

Is it true that the factory-fill oil is some kind of special break-in oil?? Is this why the first oil change should be of a longer interval (3.5K vs. every 3K after that)???

I was under the impression that Honda's call for Oil change every 7.5K.

thx.

Perhaps an unnecessary addendum: Owner's manual calls for 5W20 oil (it's a 3.5L V6 engine)

If the factory-fill oil is some kinda special oil, then I'll keep it in there longer.

If not, then I intend to do the first change at perhaps 500 miles, then 1,500 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that.

mareakin...

I have a 2005 Element with the 2.4l 4 banger...

I asked my dealer the same question about the special oil. According to him and the service manager, Honda doesn't do a "special" oil at factory fill.

I currently have around 40K on the car and have used Castrol Synthetic Blend (5W20) with great success.

This is my second Honda vehicle using Castrol Synthetic Blend in that weight. First car was a civic with 150K on the Odo with no repairs at all.

hope this helps..

Jeffreaux

dealer is on crack,
yes, honda has special factory juice, leave it in for 3k.
follow severe maint schedule for oil change, 3700 miles is for my accord with the v-6
remember, stealerships are not the best to read their own manuals.

Chevy dealer put in a 3k miles sticker on my duramax diesel. :)

There isn't a maintenance schedule on Honda's anymore because they have a Maintenance Minder system built in.

It will get down to 0% in about 8000 miles. Not 3000.

I wouldn't change as often as you plan. How about 5000 and then whenever the MM hits 20%?

Before the MM system came about, it was 3750 severe, 7500 normal OCI. 5w20 since ~2000.

Use the Oil Change Reminder light and wait until the oil life reaches 15%. Honda specifically recommends not chnaging out the factory fill early. The dealer is trying to make a buck off of her to bring her in for an early oil change.

The maintenance minder system on these vans takes all the 'guesswork' out of oil change intervals. Follow it, and change the oil before it gets to 0%, somewhere between 15% and 0% (I think you get a 'warning' at 15%)

keep the car owner in the DARK about the OCI! cant even open a hood in the dark anymore, its dark underneath it!
the service light can come on at anytime for a slew of different reasons.
it is just a light maybe it breaks and never comes on? maybe it comes on every 500 miles? maybe you cant turn it off? LOL LOL LOL!!!

My dealership tried to do the same thing with changes every 6000km when the manual clearly states every 8000km. Every 24000km they get $ for another oil change that was not needed...forget that, I do my own changes and pocket all the savings.

The first oil change should be done when the Maintenance Minder shows 15% oil life remaining or one-year, whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
keep the car owner in the DARK about the OCI! cant even open a hood in the dark anymore, its dark underneath it!
it is just a light maybe it breaks and never comes on? maybe it comes on every 500 miles? maybe you cant turn it off? LOL LOL LOL!!!

You're ridiculous. The OP asked an honest, serious question and you respond with this kind of garbage? What's wrong with you?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The first oil change should be done when the Maintenance Minder shows 15% oil life remaining or one-year, whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted By: lazaro

You're ridiculous. The OP asked an honest, serious question and you respond with this kind of garbage? What's wrong with you?

well I read the OP post and cause he wrote this>>>
Quote:
The maintenance schedule does not state what the OCI should be, which I find funny but it's true.

I was jus thinking along the same lines, sorry I offended you, I was not trying to
11.gif

I also follow the OLM. Right now, the OLM on our 05 Ody is at 15% (and annoying me at every start-up staring at me funny). I have around 6500 miles on this oil.

I plan on waiting a little longer to change out the oil.

BTW, I tried to get the dealer to do the first oil change at around 3000 miles. The dealer actually said NO, wait for the MM to get to at least 15%.

Originally Posted By: mareakin
If the factory-fill oil is some kinda special oil, then I'll keep it in there longer.

If not, then I intend to do the first change at perhaps 500 miles, then 1,500 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that.

True...depends on Warranty...

Originally Posted By: mareakin

Really???
If people cannot read vehicle owner manual they deserved be ripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back