2009 Honda CRV - End Links Rusted on

I usually break them loose with the 17mm impact socket then cut off the stud (From the backside) using my milwaukee sawzall.

Not sure he can drill it easily. Once he has used a grinder on that side, it's probably heat hardened and the metal will be tough to drill.

Last edited:
i too live in the rust belt Pa + although i DIY it a lot i am fortunate to have a good independent a few blocks away, he does good work for fair prices!!! getting older 72 now but good shape things dont get any easier, but being retired it dont matter if it takes me 3 hrs or 3 days!! depending on your area auto DIY repairs can be cheeper even if you need to skip a days work + i actually enjoy doing it if time is not an issue.

Last edited:
Here is the thread about my saga with a stubborn end link. Start off with a small drill and try to get it as close to center as possible. Then go with a bigger drill bit, but smaller than the shaft. I drilled maybe a 1/4 inch into it and that was enough to twist the remains off. You still have a good nut, in my case I rounded it off.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/just-when-you-think-a-repair-will-be-easy.309422/

Oh man - I actually commented in that thread. I have officially lost my mind. I blame the rust penetrant.

Not sure he can drill it easily. Once he has used a grinder on that side, it's probably heat hardened and the metal will be tough to drill.
This is true - it is pretty well hardened. Even if I break the nut off, I'm going to be stuck grinding the rest of the flange off.

I don't know you guys do this for a living. I can't imagine trying to fix this with a bunch of other cars on the lot waiting.

Update. I managed to cut a slot in the stud and turn it with a thin screw driver. After cutting a couple additional slots, and hitting it with a chisel it finally broke free.

On to the other side.

Update 2. The other side went a little better. The lower nut is really the challenge. It took a bit, but I was able to cut it, turn it, and hit with a chisel. (Broke my thin screwdriver in the process).

The 3 year old end links were surprisingly loose. Good news is that I finally was able to use the honda links that I bought a few years back.

For the price, there is no beating the 3in Harbor freight cutter. It's easier to use than a grinder.

Back