2009 Honda Civic Oil/Filter Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uunfews
24mpg on a V6??? Forgive me for being doubtful but I am getting 24-26 on mine Civic 2001 and I am a very easy on the pedal with gas being what it is. Also check tires and change air filter at 30k mile interval.

I had a 2006 3.5L Honda V-6 and I only got around 18 city/24 highway, and that was driving real easy like a grandma and getting honked at.

24mpg on a V6??? Forgive me for being doubtful but I am getting 24-26 on mine Civic 2001 and I am a very easy on the pedal with gas being what it is. Also check tires and change air filter at 30k mile interval.

My dad has a 3.5l V6 Honda powered Vue AWD and gets 27 average. On the highway 28-30mpg and around town 24-26mpg.

Its the right foot.

On his 2001 civic auto he averaged in the high 30's with it.

You should be EASY in the mid to high 30s with your car.

bill

He must do alot of city.

FYI based on the same car and engine (my mother's), she gets a mix of about 30mpg. Although my mom does not know what efficiency means.
LOL.gif

Run any oil of your choosing, as long as its in the recommend range.. then follow oil maintenance minder.

When your warantee runs out, come back and ask the question again =)

So do you think it's best for me to just get the oil changed at the dealer until the warantee runs out? Since I can get away with running any oil and will be following the MM anyway?

OKC, but by the time of the first oil change I will probably be in good enough shape to do it myself. Will it matter for the warantee records if I decide to get it done myself or at another independent shop?

The 1.8L engine in your Honda will run for thousands and thousands of miles using Honda oil. (Which happens to be conventional). Seriously. No need to sweat it out. You pretty much have a lot of options available =)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

My dad has a 3.5l V6 Honda powered Vue AWD and gets 27 average. On the highway 28-30mpg and around town 24-26mpg.

Its the right foot.

On his 2001 civic auto he averaged in the high 30's with it.

You should be EASY in the mid to high 30s with your car.

bill

Bill I get 24-26 in city and about 32-34 freeway. I drive like Grand pappie and my result matches up to fueleconomy.com so I am doubtfull when I seen people reporting 42 at fueleconomy.com

I might add that I am still on the original ox sensor and plugs at 85k and my partially cracking the window open in hiway speed due to ac compressor issue will affect mpg but I don't think it would affect by 42mpg nor should it affect city driving speed of under 40pmh.

When I drive like an old person in my Integra, I get 33-38 mpg... and that's with a larger engine than the Civic. You should be getting higher than 32-34 on the freeway... something must be wrong?

I just purchased a OEM Honda filter, and i am shocked it is made by Honeywell (cough...fram)and made in Canada. How's the quality of this honeywell? Is it just the same junk as Fram Extra Guard?

Last edited:
You pretty much cant lose, as long as you change the oil. If Havoline is convinient, I second thirdeye's recommendation for 5K oil changes.

I'm not sure who this was addressed to when you originally posted it but I am getting 24-26 mpg out of my V6 with A/C use and this is all with a air filter that probably needs replacement. Perhaps if I used it non stop then I would be getting less but you have to give a little to get a (LOT) when you start beating some of the best V6s out there like the Supra Inline 6(competes with V8s)

Last edited:
I'd believe it, if it was the non-turbo Supra. The turbo Supra should be able to beat the 244HP V6 your Accord has, however, if the driver knows how to control the car. The turbo Supra makes ~280HP. By the way, slightly off-topic, but still no consumption with the Pennzoil Platinum after over 1,500 miles. I think you owe me that meal.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: will77
So should I just go to the dealer for oil changes until it's out of warranty so I have a record of them? I usually like to change the oil myself and thought I might use a synthetic like PP or M1 since I'm make short trips often but on the other hand it might make more since to just use dino since I won't be driving that much.

No reason to go to the dealer. Continue to change it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back