2009 Honda Civic ATF "flush".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my 2009 Honda Civic EX Auto ATF fluid today. I did 5 drain and fills with OEM Honda DW-1 ATF. The car came with Honda Z-1 from the factory. The factory fill was pretty dark maroon. I didn't notice any abnormal shifting before the "flush" and I don't notice any difference with the DW-1 fluid in shift quality. It feels pretty much the same. I am glad I changed the fluid now though, as I know Z-1 doesn't hold up for very long. The car has 22k miles and I plan on doing the exact same thing every 20k from this point on. I plan on keeping the car for about 10 years, which would be about 200k miles for me.

2.5 each drain and fill. I would HIGHLY recommend doing it at 20k by the look of the fluid that came out of mine. I did it 5 times because the factory fill was Z-1 and I put DW-1 in it. I bought a case on the bay for cheap.

The owners manual says only 3 fill/refills are necessary to flush out system. They only recommend this if you have to use other than approved fluid.

Other than that, they recommend drain and refill every 60,000 miles (after initial 90,000 miles).

Last edited:
every 20k? thats a little too obsessive. i would dump factory fill atf at about 20k but everytime after that i would just do a single single drain and refill every 25k not 3 drain and refill.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
The owners manual says only 3 fill/refills are necessary to flush out system. They only recommend this if you have to use other than approved fluid.

Other than that, they recommend drain and refill every 60,000 miles (after initial 90,000 miles).

I don't see a reason why the OP is changing the tranny fluid so often. (Of course there won't be a noticeable difference in shift quality, you're basically replacing good fluid with new juice)

I replaced the FF on my 07 Civic EX auto @ 60,000 with Amsoil's lube. (did 3 drain and fills) Shift quality was good before the change and got quite a bit better with the synthetic oil in there, esp when the tranny was cold.

The Civic now has 120,000 miles and the fluid is pink as can be. Shift quality is excellent and i honestly don't see a reason to change the fluid but i'll change it any in a few weeks, in time for winter.

You can't go by oil color when judging the oil life. (just like engine oil)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why do people say Z-1 fluid sucks ?

I didn't say it sucks, I don't think anyone did in this thread. I did say the DW-1 is a better fluid. Which it is.

Sounds like a real good flush [for that type of change].
So OK.. a real nice start with new fluid.
But 5 flushes at a time seems excessive for the future, esp at 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back