2009 CRV Recall - Frame Stiffeners

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in-law got a letter in the mail today from Honda telling him that their 2009 CRV might have an issue with the frame stiffeners and that it must be brought in for inspection. This will involve taking the rear of the vehicle apart to properly inspect it and that a courtesy vehicle will be provided while they have it for up to 2 days.

If the vehicle is found to have this defect they will offer to purchase the vehicle back from him at fair market value considering the age, condition and options the vehicle has and will have a bonus added to this amount. He can choose to purchase a new or used vehicle at Honda or opt for reimbursement by cheque from Honda Canada.

I hadn't heard about this on the '09 CRV's. Interesting...

I thought I would post here for informational purposes for others that may have this model / year vehicle. It seems to affect 2007 - 2011 CRV's

http://hondanews.ca/en/news/release...Regarding-Safety-Recall-200711-Honda-CRV

Statement by Honda Canada Inc. Regarding Safety Recall: 2007-11 Honda CR-V
Honda has voluntarily recalled approximately 83,953 2007-2011 CR-V vehicles in Canada to address potential excessive corrosion to the rear frame stiffener(s).

On affected vehicles, one or both rear frame stiffener(s) may become excessively corroded over time. Such excessive corrosion may be more prevalent where a vehicle is regularly operated in regions where road de-icing salt is frequently used during the winter season. Although a certain amount of corrosion is expected to occur from everyday operation of the vehicle, excessive corrosion to the rear frame may result in frame stiffener perforation and, in extreme cases, cause the rear-trailing arm to separate from the vehicle's frame structure. A separated rear-trailing arm may cause the vehicle to be difficult to control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Mailed notification to customers is expected to begin in late-January 2019. Additionally, owners of affected vehicles can immediately determine if their vehicles are included in this safety recall campaign by going to www.honda.ca/recalls, or by calling Honda Canada Customer Relations at 1-888-946-6329.

Last edited:
I would wonder what the total amount would be if Honda decides to buy it back? Whatever the amount it's still going to cost the owner money to get another vehicle.

Sounds like it may be an OK deal , depending on how it works out .

Personally , I would probably take the cash offer & then do my own shopping for a replacement vehicle . Whether new or used . Are the dealer / factory incentives still available for left over 2018 models ?

Yea I would take the cash as well as the newer CR-Vs and Civics are having issues still from what I have seen.

Shine it up real well before going in to get the best estimate if it does fail.

I already advised him that if they are going to buy it back that he should either buy a used one of the same model year that is unaffected (because it has been great to them) or go to a new Rav-4 instead over the 1.5T.

I'll update the thread with the details once the inspection is done.

Last edited:
My MIL hit the lottery with a Windstar and similar recall. She purchase it 6 years old with 40k miles for $3500 drove it to 160k and got a nice $2100 check from Ford Motor company despite having worn out brakes, muffler noisy and general mediocre condition.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yea I would take the cash as well as the newer CR-Vs and Civics are having issues still from what I have seen.

Shine it up real well before going in to get the best estimate if it does fail.

+1. A full detailing will likely pay for itself a few times over.

Agree with the Rav4 over CR-V for a new replacement; the 1.5T apparently is a huge diluter.

They look after their vehicles. They are always pristine. The CRV is loaded with all the toys... They bought used from the first owner so they should do ok on what Honda offers them if it comes to that.

Last edited:
Update: Father in law got his CRV inspected and it was found not to have corrosion of the frame stiffeners so he won't be getting a Buy-Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back