2009 Cooper Clubman- 2 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife always wanted a Mini, and this one popped up about two years ago; it belonged to a friend's daughter who was selling it because a second child was on the way. We picked it up for a good price, and it became my wife's daily driver. We bought it just after the customary flurry of work that the N12 motor requires at @100,000 miles- timing chain/guides, vacuum pump, thermostat, etc. Early on I had to replace a VANOS solenoid, but aside from that, no major issues. It's optioned a bit oddly for a base Cooper, in that it has Comfort Access, Navigation, Sirius XM, and heated sport seats, but that's it. I do wish that it had Xenon headlamps, but I rarely drive it at night so that's kind of a moot point. 15" conventional tires give it a fairly compliant ride; I fitted Quatrac 5 tires and I really like them, good grip in the wet, dry, and light snow.

Last December SXM was hot to get the radio in the Clubman reactivated; they sent me an email offering three years for $124 with NO automatic renewal. needless to say, I took the deal.

When I got talked into going back to work full time(six years and out) my wife and I decided the Cooper could serve as my DD, as she had found a CPO X1. So far, the Clubman has proven to be the perfect car for my daily 24 mile round trip commute. In early January I installed new spark plugs, replaced a bad coolant temperature sensor, and finished it off with new engine and cabin air filters from FCP Euro. Depending on traffic I generally average 38 mpg or better- on a couple of days I hit 45 mpg. I'm putting about 6000 miles per year on it so the BMW TPT 0W-30 and Mini OEM filter gets changed once per year. Coolant gets changed every couple of years, as does the brake fluid. While it's definitely the slowest car in my garage,it's still fast enough to keep up with any traffic I encounter. On the open road it can build speed without the driver realizing it; on a couple of longer jaunts I've found myself cruising at 85-90. I'm normally not a big fan of FWD cars(my old Mazdaspeed 3 excepted), but I don't mind it as much in cars the size of the Clubman. The current plan is to run it to the end of my term, at which point it will have a bit over 150,000 miles on it. So far I've come to like it a lot more that I expected. Who knows? Perhaps my next two seater will be a JCW GP.

Stranger things have happened...

Loved my 2010. It had 110k, and needed timing chain guides. I ended up selling it, but not for that reason.... great little car, a blast to drive and only a thermostat housing at 89k.

Had the opportunity to drive a ~2013 Cooper Clubman manual (120hp) for a few months and didn't like it much, so so engine, tiny gas tank, average handling on local roads. I see you mention headlights...well they were pretty bad
laugh.gif

Honestly had the feeling it was all look and no guts. Don't know if we get the exact same models as in US, but apart from nice look and interior, I found it seriously lacking, especially on the confort and handling area. Car was almost brand new at that time, and the owner sold it with less than 20000Km.

The engine was somewhat disappointing, maybe it's better in a lighter, shorter regular Mini ? For a daily commuter it's probably ok, but for what I did with it (highway at 130Kmh and countryside roads (90Kmh limit), it just didn't cut it with three persons on board. Probably put something like 5000Km only on that car, but was happy to go back to my 100hp diesel beater after that.

Fuel economy was ok, but tiny tank mitigated that impression.

These cars were/are highly prized and successful here, and I'm glad you're enjoying yours, it just wasn't for me. Always had a teeth against that French engine, in any car equipped with it, so maybe I'm a bit partial...

It's perfect as a DD for me; that said, if I wanted a Mini to drive all the time I would want a newer F54 Cooper S or JCW Clubman.

Thanks for the great review. We just picked up the VW JEtta but at some point we're going to upgrade the Rio and Mini is on the shortlist along with a Golf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Thanks for the great review. We just picked up the VW JEtta but at some point we're going to upgrade the Rio and Mini is on the shortlist along with a Golf.

You are welcome! The Jetta is a great car as well. My wife and I tend to prefer smaller cars than average, so the Mini is perfect.

Mini requires that the timing chain and guides be replaced at 100k miles? Really? That's ridiculous! I'll bet that they don't mention this on the new car sales floor. They would have been far better off putting a timing belt on that engine (IMO a belt is better anyway), at least the owner would know going in that it will need to be replaced at 100k miles, and for FAR less money.

Mini does not require that the chain and guides be replaced, but once they get noisy you should have it done. As I've said many times before, if I had to leave my office(after a day dealing with the usual craziness) and then slide behind the wheel of a soul-crushing appliance I'd soon be looking for the nearest high bridge to jump off.
So the Mini costs a bit more to run?
I could not care less- life is too short to drive boring cars.

Did you see on YouTube the Ericthecarguy serie on the Mini ? Interesting videos, including one with the timing chain replacement.
Around 100k Miles seems to be the average value. Interestingly, here it's mostly the turbocharged engines that seem affected.

I also suspect most mechanics and dealerships to use 5W40 on non turbo, at least on PSA models.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Mini does not require that the chain and guides be replaced, but once they get noisy you should have it done. As I've said many times before, if I had to leave my office(after a day dealing with the usual craziness) and then slide behind the wheel of a soul-crushing appliance I'd soon be looking for the nearest high bridge to jump off.
So the Mini costs a bit more to run?
I could not care less- life is too short to drive boring cars.
My comment was not about the Mini's driving dynamics. I very much like the way that Minis (and BMWs in general) drive and handle. My comment was pointed directly at needing to replace the timing chain at 100k miles, which is something that is ludicrous IMO. VW/Audi also suffers from poor timing chain engineering on some models. Personally, I would never buy a vehicle that I knew going-in was going to need to have the timing chain replaced at 100k miles, I don't care how much fun it is to drive.
Surely there are other entertaining cars on the market that don't need regular timing chain replacements.

Originally Posted by wag123
Surely there are other entertaining cars on the market that don't need regular timing chain replacements.

Name one. Name any other car like a MINI. That's kinda their appeal.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Name one. Name any other car like a MINI. That's kinda their appeal.

There are lots of cars I don't like and/or would not want to own- however, I choose not to waste my time commenting in the topics about those cars. Nevertheless, it seems that there are always a few individuals who just have to jump into most every BMW/Mini/Porsche/VW thread to express an unsolicited opinion that is most often based on third or fourth hand hearsay.
I don't know what motivates them; bitterness? jealousy? sour grapes? Beats me- I just know that I have better things to do than harangue the owners and enthusiasts of automotive brands that I'm less than enamored with.

Who knows why people say what they say?

Why get outraged at maintenance you'll never have to worry about?

Why dump on people's choice of car? "It's nice, but..."

Why do they care what people spend their money on, whether it is a MINI or a K&N filter or a $4,000 laptop?

Lately I have been giving serious consideration to leaving this place behind. Negativity and ignorance is rampant and the value is diminishing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Lately I have been giving serious consideration to leaving this place behind. Negativity and ignorance is rampant and the value is diminishing.

Agreed; negativity and ignorance is a toxic combination. In a thread asking about a good car for track days I-just for giggles-posted a comment admonishing the OP to buy a nice MGM, put the money that they would waste on racing in an IRA, and to pay cash for everything.
Some people actually agreed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back