2008 Sequoia 5.7 - 5w-30 make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased our 2008 Sequoia 5.7 early last year with 94k miles on it. The owners manual recommends 0w-20 or 5w-20 but states higher viscosity ok for severe duty. My '07 Prius and my '03 Chevy 3500 both use 5w-30. Should I just use that? Or should I start stocking 0w/5w- 30?

I've got both M1 and PUP in stock. I looked at the vehicles service record and they took it to the dealership for all their service

Use what they recommend. If you do severe duty like boat pulling, short trips and not long runs, then use severe service. But in IL in winter with many COLD starts, I would use the 0w20 type oils for good flow on start up. Go heavier in summer when towing stuff.

If you are not falling into the severe duty category you might enjoy the 0w20 in your climate for easier starting.

That being said your prius should be using 0w20 as well per the back spec.

Your Chevy uses a 5w30 because it's a different engine design.

Use what you have on hand. It wont hurt anything as it's already speced for it anyway.

The actual difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is really not very significant, if you already have 5w30 use it and sleep well at night.

I have couple of cases of PUP 5w-20. I'll use the that during the winter and use 5w-30 during the summer. As for cold weather starting, luckily my garage is heated
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you are not falling into the severe duty category you might enjoy the 0w20 in your climate for easier starting.

That being said your prius should be using 0w20 as well per the back spec.

Your Chevy uses a 5w30 because it's a different engine design.

Maybe the newer Prii spec 0w20.. mine specs 5w30. Here is the manual in pdf.. check page 432

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47568U/pdf/09.pdf

All Prius back to 2004 are approved to use 0w20. Even the oldest prius is approved for 5w20. You can probably find a TSB on it if you search. Plenty of people have put over 300k on those egines with nothing but 20 grade oils.

It was shipped with the 5w30 spec in the manual and on the fill cap but they put a lot of money into making that 0w20 and making sure it was the proper oil for many engines too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3054190

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back