2008 Scion xD?

I’ve been looking for a car with an automatic transmission for a little while. Both of my cars are manuals and I would like one I can drive when the arthritis in my left knee flares up. I’m going to test drive a 2008 Scion xD tomorrow. It has the same 1.8L engine as the Corolla of that era and those seem to be pretty good for reliability. it has 138k miles and the photos look clean inside and out.

Any particular quirks or things to look for on this year and model?

Not many. Check the oil level as they can burn a bit if they haven't been maintained perfectly. Also check the coolant level. Check body panel gaps and for abnormal welds in the engine bay. That's with any car not the xd in particular. I once almost bought a secretly wrecked truck with a non blue title that wasn't advertised as wrecked and repaired.

Here in texas though i don't know if it's in other states when your vehicle gets in a major accident your title is supposed to be salvage after being deemed a loss and once it's rebuilt and inspected you get a blue title that shows it's been rebuilt. But the damage was apparent as the whole front end wasn't straight and the welds were obvious and the control arm was bent and the front right wheel was a little tilted. The rear was slightly twisted if you looked at it from a little distance. But it wasn't declared salvage on the title which can't be right. And i asked the guy if the title was clean and he said yes. But I asked him about all the damage and he said that it was just a minor fender bender.

Here in texas though i don't know if it's in other states when your vehicle gets in a major accident your title is supposed to be salvage after being deemed a loss

But it wasn't declared salvage on the title which can't be right. And i asked the guy if the title was clean and he said yes. But I asked him about all the damage and he said that it was just a minor fender bender.
So apparently it wasn't deemed a total loss. Cost to repair usually has to be more that 75% of it's retail value to total the car. And of course if there was no insurance, there is no insurance company to total it.

So apparently it wasn't deemed a total loss. Cost to repair usually has to be more that 75% of it's retail value to total the car. And of course if there was no insurance, there is no insurance company to total it.
That's what i thought too but it did have insurance at the time i looked at it. Though i also questioned if the insurance he had was fake. I couldn't tell so i just got a bad feeling and left. It was cheap at 2000 for being a 2004 frontier. I was suspicious it could've been a hit and run incident. I've witnessed a total of 5 here in Houston. Most recently was not even 2 years ago.

Why does this thread sound familiar?

Did you find another one?

Why does this thread sound familiar?

Did you find another one?
Yeah, that’s a slightly annoying story. That particular xD turned out to be a manual in spite of what the ad said.

This particular xD turned out to be garbage. The heat wouldn’t work during the test drive. Got it back to the lot and it was basically empty of coolant. The guy started pouring antifreeze into it and it came courting out of the underside of the engine somewhere. I just left when that started happening.

Yeah, that’s a slightly annoying story. That particular xD turned out to be a manual in spite of what the ad said.

This particular xD turned out to be garbage. The heat wouldn’t work during the test drive. Got it back to the lot and it was basically empty of coolant. The guy started pouring antifreeze into it and it came courting out of the underside of the engine somewhere. I just left when that started happening.
That's sad 😳
People forget that selling a car is not a meritocracy 😒

Back