09 Scion xB

I just bought a 2009 Scion xB with a manual transmission and 146K. As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with it is a broken radio antenna mast. It has the same 2.4L used in the Toyota Camry of that era. Any particular issues I need to be on the lookout for with this vehicle?

Certain years of the 2.4L seemed to tend toward oil burning; there may be a TSB regarding it as referenced here

I would, for starters, not panic, but start collecting data on your vehicle's oil level, odds are in your favor there is not an issue Great little functional vehicle IMHO

I just bought a 2009 Scion xB with a manual transmission and 146K. As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with it is a broken radio antenna mast. It has the same 2.4L used in the Toyota Camry of that era. Any particular issues I need to be on the lookout for with this vehicle?
Keep an eye on the coolant level too, the water pumps have a tendency to seep coolant as well. I’m surprised at the number of reported issues with the 2.4 as compared to the smaller 1.5 & 1.8, too many oil consumption issues on the 2.4.

I had a 2008 xB for over ten years (original owner) before it got totaled when I got rear ended a few years ago... Had 143K miles on it.

All I did was brakes/oil/ATF fluid/plugs, etc... Still had the original water pump and most everything else, it was just basic maintenance items. It burned very little oil (didn't burn anything until 100K+ and it was less than about 0.5qt per 5,000 miles). I know from my experience, as mentioned above, things to watch out for is water pump failure (will throw red fluid when it does, can be visible on hood liner) and some would burn some oil.

It lived off Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 it's entire life for the most part.

Miss that car so much... Enjoy it!!

Monitor the oil level diligently, especially at first. I have an 09, automatic unfortunately, and its a great vehicle. It does use some oil, luckily its only a quart or two per 5k miles. It seems highly dependent on the weather and driving habits. When I shift it manually and there are periods of high rpm engine braking involved the consumption definitely seems to peak. This driving is harder than most people will ever drive a car, this I know. This last OCI I have about 2k miles on, I used 5w30 Oil, minimal hard driving and warm temps and the oil level doesn't appear to have dropped at all.

I know the history of the vehicle since new and it has not had any issues. It has had 1 set of front brakes, a few set of front rotors, two sets of rear brakes, the airbag recall, Plugs and a few batteries. It has never had any repairs outside of maintenance.

They are extremely versatile vehicles, relatively quick and they handle well. The fuel economy isn't great for the size of vehicle, I get 21mpg driving back and forth to work, sometimes as low as 18 in the winter strictly commuting with the cold starts and engine warm up time, and about 26-28mpg on the highway generally.

I find it to be a very comfortable vehicle, it rides rough, though it handles phenomenally for me anyway. Mine does have the TRD Sway bars, i doubt it makes that much difference. I have not driven any other 2nd gen xbs so I cannot compare.

Last edited:
Back