2008 R56 Mini Cooper S gearbox oil change

Hi everyone, I am writing from Italy.

I would like to do some maintenance to my dad's 2008 R56 Mini Cooper S. Over the years it has only changed the oil and filter as well as the brake fluid.

I was wondering if it was time to replace the manual gearbox oil. It has no problem but I think it may be a good idea after 13 years.

The use and maintenance booklet does not say which oil to use.

Some of you are kind enough to help me understand which oil is best to use, which specifics, what gradation and maybe even how much?

Thank you

MFT-LT-4 75W90
Shell, Motul, Castrol, Total, Mobil and others make it. Or, you can get it through a BMW or Mini dealership.

Thanks so much! Fantastic !! can I ask you how did you find that spec? 😅

Here in Italy I find these oils that have the correct MTF LT-4 specification. Which would you prefer? The price difference is not relevant. Normal use of the car

this is recommended on the redline website:oops:

Thanks again

Last edited:
Here’s a link with lots of information.

Here’s a link with lots of information.
I thank you infinitely

from the thread seems I should look for a sticker on the gearbox to understand what oil it needs

because it may require MTF LT-4 and at this point I would use Red Line MT-90 that you recommend
or it may require MTF-94

I thank you infinitely

from the thread seems I should look for a sticker on the gearbox to understand what oil it needs

because it may require MTF LT-4 and at this point I would use Red Line MT-90 that you recommend
or it may require MTF-94

If it has the LSD option it requires MTF-94, if it doesn't it wants MTF LT-4.

MINI Betriebsflüssigkeiten Stand Feb. 2011 MCS.jpg

I'll report about my latest experience wrt to gear oil on a Mini here since it may be relevant to
others.
I changed gear oil last week. 2012 Mini (Justa) R56 Cooper N16 engine and GS6-55BG manual
transmission. About 50,000 km/31kmls on the car, 15,000 km on oil. The factory fill BMW MTF
LT-4 has been replaced at 35,000 km.
Had Ravenol MTF-2 before, 50/50 mix Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80 and Castrol Multivehicle
75W-90 went in, along with small slucks of both Mannol Ester Additive and Eurol Engine Treat.
Remember Castrol Syntrans V-FE is doing great in my GTI.
After running with this fill for 2000 km I feel disillusioned. I can't assess wear, but I can for shift
quality and that went worse. Shifting both cool and hot has been clearly better with both BMW
MTF LT-4 and Ravenol MTF-2.
I'm debating which oil to use next now. Currently I tend to just return to either BMW MTF LT-2
or Ravenol MTF-2 since they both felt excellent, or a combination of both. Feel free to comment!

If your dad is just driving the car normally and it’s had the same gear oil in it for 13 years and you don’t have any problems. I’d refill it with OEM fluids or with the manufacturers fluid I.e. Castrol or Mobil. I don’t see the point in putting in a boutique oil in a car driven to get groceries. That’s just my .02. The amount and the weight should be specified in your owners manual, or if you go to the dealership then give them your vin and they will give you everything.

why the additives?

Just out of boredom, my bad.

If your dad is just driving the car normally and it’s had the same gear oil in it for 13 years and you don’t have any problems. I’d refill it with OEM fluids or with the manufacturers fluid I.e. Castrol or Mobil. I don’t see the point in putting in a boutique oil in a car driven to get groceries. That’s just my .02. The amount and the weight should be specified in your owners manual, or if you go to the dealership then give them your vin and they will give you everything.

OP is in Italy. Remember in Europe it's unusual to specify gear oil in owner's manuals since it's 'lifetime fluid' nowadays.
That said, I stated earlier what gear oil BMW specs for his MCS. Without the (quite rare) LSD option it's BMW MTF LT-4
(75W-90 GL-4) on any R55/R56 generally. OP's last visit has been April 13 2021 btw..

Yeah, I'll most likely go back to BMW MTF LT-4 quite soon, it even isn't that expensive. I'm just waiting for the second magnetic drain plug to arrive.
On a side note, while BMW specs 1.7 l for the Cooper (GS6-55BG) and 1,9 l for MCS and JCW (GS6-53BG), I managed to fill ~2.2 l into my gearbox with the car sitting level on the lift until the oil began to overflow out of the fill hole.

83222339223-v2-hubauer-shop.jpg

index.php

Last edited:
Update: Since Castrol Syntrans V-FE and Syntrans Multivehicle are difficult to obtain and/or more expensive than a couple of months before I placed my order on OE BMW MTF LT-4. Should be here in a few days. Hope it'll resolve the shifting issues.

So after five weeks I finally took the chance to change the gear oil and replaced the Castrol Syntrans V-FE/Multivehicle mixture with OE BMW MTF LT-4 75W-90. I also added a second magnetic drain plug. Feels excellent so far, noticeably better than before, but I'll comment later after I have driven a couple of hundred miles with it.

Back