2008 Mustang V6 Best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run my car daily and drive her pretty hard. I did my last oil change with 5W-30 Motorcraft semi synthetic oil and a motorcraft filter. What is the best I can put in her besides royal purple or amsoil. I dont want to have to purchase my oil online. I heard that the motorcraft filters were good as well as their oil. Could I do any better? Mobil 1 with a puralator filter? Thanks a bunch.

What kind of oil change interval?

Offhand I'd say Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, Kendall GT-1 Liquid Titanium 5W-30 would be your "best" bets over the counter, but even the Motorcraft Syn-Blend, Havoline, MC5000, PYB, etc. will serve you well in most instances.

I would stick with Motorcraft filters, I don't think you can beat them for the money.

Alright, sweet. Ill just keep up the same oil changes. Would there be any chance I could run 5w-20? Thats what GT's run. Im just curious because they carry that in the 5 quart bottles.

Originally Posted By: Sixxer
Alright, sweet. Ill just keep up the same oil changes. Would there be any chance I could run 5w-20? Thats what GT's run. Im just curious because they carry that in the 5 quart bottles.

The 4.0 SOHC is one of the few Ford Engines not running 5W-20. I have several in my work fleet Explorer including my daily driver. I have yet to run 5w-20. I would guess if Ford thought they could use 5W-20 in the 4.0 then they would have given the OK . They have not so I would stay away. There are a few 5W-30's that are on the "thinner" side of 30. Might want to try those..

No. The 4.0L specs 5W-30 for a reason, even though most all other Ford engins spec 5W-20. I'm sure they have a reason for it in this case.

5-30 MC semi synth is rare. I have never seen it. Does it say so on the bottle?
HOw long are you leaving it in there? For over 5K, use a full synthetic.
I also like Pennzoil yellow bottle dino a lot - get the new one, not an old version left on the shelf.

Lets try and keep the oil change under $40.
Car mileage is 33333.

I would say Pennzoil Plantium with a PureOne filter

I completely agree that the MC 5W30 blend is great for your usage. That being said, my wife's 08 V6 Mustang seems to run a bit smoother on PP 5W30.

for 3000 Mile OCI

Grade: 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum
or
Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Whichever you can find cheaper

Filter:
Fram Tough Guard or any filter of similar price range!

Having said all this, whatever you have been doing will serve you just fine!

Originally Posted By: Nick R

No. The 4.0L specs 5W-30 for a reason, even though most all other Ford engins spec 5W-20. I'm sure they have a reason for it in this case.

Agree, they DO need thicker oil. If you are 4.0 powered I'd run a thick 30 or even a 40. I'm running 40, 5w40 winter and 15w40 summer. MPG, power all the same only much quieter and "seems smoother" totally unscientific but then I'm not always a rational man lol. But 20s forget it. That is as rational as you can get as its the only motor they wont spec for 20. That really tells me they mean it for good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back