2008 Mercury Milan Tranny Drain/Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
p.s. my local Ford dealer stated $249.99 for the transmission service. NO.

My dealers quoted 200-290 (not including tax and supplies) for the flush. I actually wanted to have it flushed at this time and will consider drain and refill later on. But I saw somewhere people say Ford has a special tool to do backflush transmission. It sounds like a different, specialty service, but when I asked around, nobody in the dealerships I called would admit or even know about it, they said it's the same machine other shops are using. Why should I use the dealer if other shop does the same for cheaper? Anyone knows the fact?

so next question:

are Mobil 3309
Ford genuine
Toyota Genuine
all the exact same product ????

amazon price is around 5.50 a quart for Mobil
amazon price for Toyota is around $7.30
and Local Toyota price is 8.03 per quart.

I think im going to order the 12 quart pack of amazon prime. $68 bucks ! if its all the same

Originally Posted By: DSteven
I also have a 2008 mercury Milan V6. I have used Maxlife ATF for several drain & fill procedures. The transmission works very well. I also added a bottle of Lubegard Red. The shifts are more smooth and refined. With the Ford Premium ATF, the shifting was a bit more harsh. Either way, adding a bottle of Lubegard Red is a good idea.

This is the combo I used in the Aisin 5 speed in my Equinox. Great combo.

Im going to jack this thread just a bit, This thread got me thinking about my 46,000 mile 06 Milan and the service im planning to do soon.

2 things.
Any real benifit of using "Lube gard red" in a healthy passenger car that seems to shift smooth enough for me ? If im going to do a tranny service say every 50,000 miles is using this extra product going to make any real difference ?

#2 I did notice the tranny fluid last night while still dark pink, it looked healthy but had what looked like black specks on the dipstick.. To my knowledge this may be the first time ever the transmission dipsick has been pulled.. my first thought was the plack paint on the dipstick has been eaten off by the detergent in the fluid.. but that's speculation.. regardless, im going to dump and fill this transmission several times over the course of the summer. (ordering a 12 quart pack of Mobil 1 3309 today from amazon.

Last edited:
I bought an '06 Milan with the Asian 6, my wife drove it for roughly 120,000 mi. then my daughter has had it for the last year and a half as shes just finishing college. Ford manual states "lifetime fill" and this trans has never been serviced and it currently has approx. 140,000 mi., trouble-free.

I said when I bought this car that I was going to stick with the owners manual and I have. I'm sure as long as the correct fluid is used no harm can be done, but as in my instance the factory fill has been just fine.

Originally Posted By: MrNobody
I saw somewhere people say Ford has a special tool to do backflush transmission. It sounds like a different, specialty service, but when I asked around, nobody in the dealerships I called would admit or even know about it, they said it's the same machine other shops are using. Why should I use the dealer if other shop does the same for cheaper? Anyone knows the fact?
There's no such thing as "back-flushing" a transmission. Ford recommends using a fluid exchange machine that uses the transmission's own pump to evacuate the old fluid while drawing in fresh. Many shops have this type of machine. Example

I appreciate your opinion, However to my knowledge (im no chemist mind you) but im not aware of any "Forever" fluid.. everything wears out. And if you choose to stay ahead of the ball (me) buying a 12 pack of Mobil 1 fluid and doing several fill drains and spending $68 bucks V.S. a slipping transmission between 100,000 and 200,00 ?? well, I just prefer to do the drain and fills and have that extra piece of mind knowing I did what I could to maintain that transmission.. If that means I get a extra 50,000 miles out of it is it worth it ? it is to me.

First, I go with what the manufacturer recommends. If they say no scheduled service until 150k, then that is what I would do. The exception would be if the ATF smelled "burnt" or looked an unusual color. Or personal preference.

Second, I go with what the manufacturer recommends. If Ford recommends Motorcraft Premium ATF that is what I would use (full disclosure: I worked in Ford transmission engineering for a few years).

uc

Buying your oil/ATF at a dealership is not the most cost effective solution. Auto Value auto parts store (independently owned) can order the exact same Motorcraft oil/ATF at a much lower price.

The worst thing you can do is allow someone to install ATF not approved by the manufacturer or to run your old ATF through some kind of "super" filter and then just add some "additives". Additive packages are "trade secrets". Sometime even the vehicle manufacturer does not know th exact chemical make, but the do know how to test the ATF for the properties to make your transmission operate correctly.

Some transmissions have drain plugs, some don't. Pulling a drain plug will NOT get most of the oil out of your automatic transmission. There is a lot of oil in the torque converter that does NOT drain into the pan when the engine is off.

Dealers/repair shop use an "exchange" system that sucks the old oil out while adding fresh oil. You can do this your self by disconnecting the fluid return line from the transmission cooler (typically inside the bottom of your radiator) and starting the engine. While the old oil is draining (better have a big pan because you will likely remove 10 qts or more), add fresh oil through the dipstick. You should be able to see the change in color from old to new oil going into the pan.

After you have re-attached the return line, start the engine and check the level. Top off if necessary. NOW TEST DRIVE THE CAR FOR 15-30 MINUTES ! Check the level AGAIN ! THIS IS CRITICAL !! Overfilling and engine with oil is not good. Underfilling a transmission is bad. Overfilling a transmission can be DISASTROUS, including possible under hood fire !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
...if you choose to stay ahead of the ball (me) buying a 12 pack of Mobil 1 fluid and doing several fill drains and spending $68 bucks V.S. a slipping transmission between 100,000 and 200,00 ?? well, I just prefer to do the drain and fills and have that extra piece of mind knowing I did what I could to maintain that transmission.

Mobil 1 ATF meets Motorcraft "Mercon V" standards.

I does not meet these standards:
  • Motorcraft Mercon LV
  • Motorcraft Mercon SP
  • Motorcraft FNR5
  • Motorcraft Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back