2008 Mercury Milan Tranny Drain/Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the ford dealer near me was also about $9/qt for the premium fluid. I also have a toyota dealer close by where I got the T-IV for $6/qt. Couldn't locate the mobil 3309 fluid so no price on that. Just thought I'd let you know what I found. Obviously it's your choice as to what you use.

Originally Posted By: badger05
Yea the ford dealer near me was also about $9/qt for the premium fluid. I also have a toyota dealer close by where I got the T-IV for $6/qt. Couldn't locate the mobil 3309 fluid so no price on that. Just thought I'd let you know what I found. Obviously it's your choice as to what you use.

Local independent parts store here in Western Pa. sells Mobile 3309 for $3.99 per quart.

Sounds like I should drain and refill the fluid on my moms 09 V6 Fusion with 80K. Last time I checked the fluid on the dip stick it was a nice light red color and looked perfectly fine. This car has been so reliable so far and we have done nothing other then tires, oil changes, and a set of wiper blades.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Last time I checked the fluid on the dip stick it was a nice light red color and looked perfectly fine.
Dan, like I said ^^^, the time to do a fluid service is BEFORE you start having issues. If the fluid was burnt or otherwise degraded that means you already waited too long.

I have been using MaxLife ATF in the Milan. A coworker has it in her ford 500. It works great! The price is very good for synthetic ATF too. The Toyota type IV is group I base stocks. I was advised from this board to at least add Lubegard red to the OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I have about 44,000 miles on it and the fluid looks pink not too dark even though color doesn't always indicate condition. I do not have any shifting issues.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I have about 44,000 miles on it and the fluid looks pink not too dark even though color doesn't always indicate condition. I do not have any shifting issues.
The time to do transmission-fluid service is BEFORE you have shifting issues...

+1. Seen trannies with BLACK fluid that shift perfectly.

And RF Overlord is right! You change ATF -before- something happens because when you do it to fix something, it may or may not.

At your mileage, you could flush at the time of change. Its young enough it wont hurt it. They advise AGAINST flush after 60,000 miles IIRC.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Last time I checked the fluid on the dip stick it was a nice light red color and looked perfectly fine.
Dan, like I said ^^^, the time to do a fluid service is BEFORE you start having issues. If the fluid was burnt or otherwise degraded that means you already waited too long.

Oh I know. I have also changed fluid at 50K on my Grand Prix that looked fine, and had the trans fail 10,000 miles later so in my eyes it is always a gamble. Another example of the extreme opposite is that we have never ever changed the trans fluid on my dads 98 Ranger with now 152,000 miles and it still shifts fine.

Last edited:
Am I mistaken or isn't the Fusion/Milan considered a "lifetime fill"? The wifes '06 Milan has been the most trouble-free new vehichle I have ever owned. Just rolled over 90,000mi. with never having to go back to the dealer for anything. It has the 3.0 V-6, I have never touched the trans, just change the oil every 5,000mi.

I'm not stating the fluid should never be changed, but I thought I read somewhere lifetime=150,000mi.

"lifetime fill" depends on what your definition of lifetime is. For some it is the life of the vehicle, for others it is the life of the trans before it needs a teardown and rebuild.

Is the Ford spec Mercon LV by any chance ??

Maxlife does say it meets LV spec.

I haven't been able to get an answer from Mobil on their 'synthetic fluid' The website says its spec'd for LV but every bottle in my store state 'not for LV'.

Does anyone have any info ??

I have this 2008 Milan AWD, with Aisin transmission. It just passed 70000 miles, and I believe the transmission fluid was changed at 30000 miles.

Thinking about do a drain/refill myself, and sounds like it's a simple job since this one does not have a serviceable filter, so no need to drop the pan, just open up the drain plug and refill.

Almost pumped up to start, (knowing the fluid I can use (Toyota T-IV for cheap or use Vavoline Maxlife ATF), but then I was reading some thread here. Somebody mentioned that dealer charged $150 and they do a "backflush on screen" and considering the ford's price on that fluid, $8/qt, and it requires 7.4 qts full, he went with the dealer, since he had 71000 miles on the car and would choose the DIY if the tranny was younger.

My question is, what is "backflush on screen", is it good for my transmission (I heard people advise against any flush after 60000 miles)? I called up my dealer, asked how much they charge for transmission fluid change, and was quoted $199, I then asked if you "back flush on screen", he said yes. Do they charge differently for "change" and "flush"? How do I tell if they do flush it?

Another question is, use Toyota T-IV transmission fluid or the Valvoline maxlife? Is it Ok to mix maxlife with the leftover old Motorcraft ATF after the drain?

Thanks a lot

There is another fluid option for these transmissions now. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF is JWS-3309 certified. It is one of their new Platinum Pure Plus ATF options, and it replaces their synthetic multi-vehicle ATF.

im at 45,000 on my 06 Milan (v6) and a tranny service is in mind.. I haven't even looked at it, is there a drain plug for this year ? is my 06 set up the same as the 08 ? will the Toyota fluid work the same ?

Ford Told me the same thing 150,000 miles and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back