2008 Mercedes GL450?

He had the 20" wheel package with the run flats, and this was back in 2009-2013. Many of our local tire shops wouldn't even mount them. The dealer only gave the option of the OE Goodyears. We found a tire shop that offered both the Goodyears and a Bridgestone. The Bridgestones were slightly better for less money, but still ridiculous. He towed with it too, which killed the tires even faster.
Oh yeah, going to the dealer is top dollar for tires. I think mine charges about $300 a tire when I can get them at Costco for under $200.

Yeah but the donuts/sandwiches might be good. Mine has a free breakfast/lunch counter. Not all MB dealers report to carfax, found a lot of stuff on the VMI that wasn't in carfax.
Unless your state doesn’t care about corona, there’s nothing but water now :) Good point about VMI though

Unless your state doesn’t care about corona, there’s nothing but water now :) Good point about VMI though
Haven't gone lately. They had racks of coolers with drinks though, like a convenience store. They're allowing indoor dining so it's possible it's still there.

Haven't gone lately. They had racks of coolers with drinks though, like a convenience store. They're allowing indoor dining so it's possible it's still there.
The last time I went to the local dealer, they wouldn’t even allow you to touch the fridge with water. You have to ask and they hand it to you. Which I think I support for now

Yeah but the donuts/sandwiches might be good. Mine has a free breakfast/lunch counter. Not all MB dealers report to carfax, found a lot of stuff on the VMI that wasn't in carfax.
I think that's all dealers, and why when I buy preowned I always get a dealer to pull that in addition to carfax.

Also, yes, love my Mazda dealer. Every time I go there are snacks and drinks and the car gets washed.

My buddy still might be buying this thing, but at least he is going in eyes wide open. Thanks for all your help.

He's a risk taker, and has a deep enough pocket to roll the dice on this thing. Carfax on it is fantastic, only two owners and dealer serviced all the way till now. Tires and wheels have been switched out to something friendlier as well.

I think that's all dealers, and why when I buy preowned I always get a dealer to pull that in addition to carfax.
Right, any Mercedes dealer will be able to pull the VMI as all work you get done at Mercedes has a 1 year parts and labor warranty at any dealership. But if you go to an indy mechanic, they won't have access to that. I would also get the autocheck.

My buddy still might be buying this thing, but at least he is going in eyes wide open. Thanks for all your help.

He's a risk taker, and has a deep enough pocket to roll the dice on this thing. Carfax on it is fantastic, only two owners and dealer serviced all the way till now. Tires and wheels have been switched out to something friendlier as well.
Aside from the things I mentioned, I've had my 2008 E-350 for 6 years now out of warranty and it's not the nightmare that people say. Certain common things happen to it and the other half of the stuff people complain about online haven't happened to me. I hope it has the P2 option package, hard to find them loaded.

It does have the P2 package, thing looks like new and has only had two owners. If there was an older Benz to take a chance on this is probably it. He made him a low offer but was refused, he is going to wait a couple of days and see if anything can be worked out.

It does have the P2 package, thing looks like new and has only had two owners. If there was an older Benz to take a chance on this is probably it. He made him a low offer but was refused, he is going to wait a couple of days and see if anything can be worked out.
Used cars are top dollar now. I was eying a 2014 E-350 but supply really dried up and the prices went up over the last few months. Probably look to do something next year. You should have him look at the 2014+ GL's. Those had heated/cooled cup holders as an option. I read a few of the threads on the forums about the GL and I think the airmatic for that is cheaper than the E class. Look at Arnott for aftermarket airbags. I think MB is great for the DIY crowd, you can get the EPC which is their parts catalog and find all the parts that will work for your car yourself and also the WIS which is the dealer repair manual, those are about $8.50 for the software on eBay, just do a search for WIS Mercedes. If you have the part number, you can search for it and find dealers online that discount about 30% off OEM list price. Because of the high price of certain parts like ignition (EIS) or audio (Comand) you can also send them out to be rebuilt if you can wait for it, plus as a 2008, there's always ebay/car-part.com. I haven't had any problems with those two items but it gets mentioned once in a while as MB problems. Same with the 4matic, some hate it for the complexity and cost, but haven't had any issue with the two of mine.

Anyway if it has the P2 package, suck it up and pay it. I see too many people buy base model cars. Not sure about the GL, but that option is probably limited to just about 20% of the cars out there. The cost is higher if they fail, but most of the options I have still work like parktronic and my P2. Use this vin decoder to find out all it has, EPC would also give it to you:

I'd tell you to look up the brochure, but the 2008 one seems to be missing.

But you could go to Motor Trend and once you select the model, you can select features and you can see what the costs of the option packages were. I like them loaded because you get more value out of them as used cars. The used car dealers just basically price them by mileage and condition, if you got to nadaguide, there's only some basic options you can select but the ones that would cost extra when you're ordering it new don't get reflected in the used price. About the only difference is that a loaded one will sell faster than a basic model. I bought both of mine within days of it being listed as the had the P2, pano roof, parktronic, etc. Looks like the P2 package is 8k instead of 6k for the P1 package.

Can you just report back here when he’ll sell it in 6-8 months or so? I wonder if he’ll let it go for $6k or $7k

Back