2008 Mercedes GL450?

I have a close friend who is looking at a 2008 Mercedes GL450 with 104k on it. As you might imagine it's pretty impressive, he described it as "looking new". He is interested in it for his wife as an around town family hauler. I know it has a V8 and AWD. Asking price is 10k.

I've already had a long conversation with him about maintenance and higher ownership costs, but I don't know anything about Benz. Anything in particular he should be looking at on that model? Any input or experiences would be appreciated, I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks!

Should probably get a scanner that can do MB specific codes like an Autel AP200, about $63 on Amazon. Should probably also take it to a Mercedes dealer and get a pre-purchase inspection on it. You can also ask for the VMI at that point which is the vehicle master inquiry, tells you all the service done at Mercedes dealerships. Main things that jump out at me is that it has an airmatic suspension. The pumps and shocks are known to go in that mileage range so you should see if they've been replaced, compressor for the airmatic also goes. I believe that's also the M273 engine which has similar issues to the M272. Intake manifold goes, crankcase breather parts need to be replace, tensioner/pulleys, oil cooler gaskets. Someone else could probably chime in some more.

You could also go through the forums on Benzworld.org or mbworld.org and check the specific forum for that model. There's always threads about buying a particular year and recommendations. Scroll through the last couple years worth of subjects to get a feel for some problems that pop up again and again.

I've read enough to run from that GL450!
The intake manifold? Jeesh! So why does it go south?
It's got an air breather system that injects exhaust gases into the intake. When the oil separator or air breather cover goes bad, oil ends up in the intake and that gums up the flaps that move. Just replaced an intake, there's lots of half hour videos online that show how it's done but it took my mechanic closer to 5 hours to do it, he could probably do it in about 4 now as that was the first time and he had to backtrack a few times. Basically they use a tuned intake runner where the flaps open or close based on engine rpm, it gets longer or shorter runners for better performance. The oil coats the flaps making it harder to move and eventually it breaks off and causes engine damage. You'll get an error code long before that happens, but what happens is that the levers or rods break and some repair kits just replace those bits and the flaps continue to get worse until they break off. The only repair MB dealers make is to replace the intake. Intake and parts was a tad over $600 and I think I ended up paying a bit over $800 total to get it replaced. I had an MB specific scanner and the code popped up, didn't set the CEL yet. The old one was difficult to move by hand and once I pushed on the lever, it didn't spring back. The new one moved easily back and forth, popped right back after moving it by hand. You can actually buy a rebuilt one for about $350 but that only had a one year warranty and the new one was lifetime. Only reason I didn't go with the rebuilt one was because they didn't seem to sell too many of them so it wasn't a job I wanted to have done twice. In the forums, failure seems to be in the 80k-140k range so that would be right in there.

Last edited:
This is a 2008 Mercedes SUV that was quite expensive when new. The question at this point is not really so much about the trouble spots with the vehicle, but how does this person plan on approaching repairs and maintenance? Are they diligent with maintenance? Are they able to DIY some stuff? Are they going to take it to an independent shop for everything or a dealer? Are there competent European independents in the area? From what I remember these were close to $100,000 when new, and repairs and maintenance will still be inline with a $100,000 vehicle even though it's value has gone down.

To me, these are larger factors that should influence this decision, and can make or break the ownership experience. My dad owned a 2009 GL450 for about 95,000 miles. It was a good vehicle, but unfortunately he chose to take it to the dealership for maintenance/repairs which ultimately was the reason he got rid of it. His had the 20" wheel option, which at the time (he sold it in 2013) there were only 2 tire options available. He estimates he spent close to $10,000 just in tires over the ownership period of that car. The tires didn't last long, he shredded two of them, and they needed to all be replaced at the same time due to the AWD system. Besides that it needed brakes, which were also very expensive through the dealer. The LED turn signals in the side mirrors went out twice, each time the whole mirror needed to be replaced to the tune of $700. With the LED mirror light not working the turn signals would blink fast.

I have a close friend who is looking at a 2008 Mercedes GL450 with 104k on it. As you might imagine it's pretty impressive, he described it as "looking new". He is interested in it for his wife as an around town family hauler. I know it has a V8 and AWD. Asking price is 10k.

I've already had a long conversation with him about maintenance and higher ownership costs, but I don't know anything about Benz. Anything in particular he should be looking at on that model? Any input or experiences would be appreciated, I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks!
I have a friend who has all sorts of income/money, and is friends/family with a MB dealer owner. He will not keep an MB product outside of warranty and service program mileage. Period. Dude has a GLS 63 AMG, Trackhawk, Escalade ESV, and a bunch of other stuff, and even he feels that the MB will bleed you dry, given what he has experienced and knows from his dealership family/friend owner. That's a pretty big red flag for me.

I have a friend who has all sorts of income/money, and is friends/family with a MB dealer owner. He will not keep an MB product outside of warranty and service program mileage. Period. Dude has a GLS 63 AMG, Trackhawk, Escalade ESV, and a bunch of other stuff, and even he feels that the MB will bleed you dry, given what he has experienced and knows from his dealership family/friend owner. That's a pretty big red flag for me.
Know a guy just like that (ESV is the going up to the lake ride) … he got mad at MB and switched to Jaguar …
(he has big sedan, her a wicked sports car) … let’s see how long that lasts, lol 😂

Know a guy just like that (ESV is the going up to the lake ride) … he got mad at MB and switched to Jaguar …
(he has big sedan, her a wicked sports car) … let’s see how long that lasts, lol 😂
My friend I referenced owns all sorts of stuff. He isn't "mad" at MB, he just knows they break a lot and they break very expensively. His family or family friend (I did not ask which) owns an MB dealership. I'd consider his opinion "informed".

My friend I referenced owns all sorts of stuff. He isn't "mad" at MB, he just knows they break a lot and they break very expensively. His family or family friend (I did not ask which) owns an MB dealership. I'd consider his opinion "informed".

MB are performance luxury vehicles that require more maintenance than others. To some, the driving experience they get is worth it to them, but to many others it just isn't. With my dad's GL450, he spent so much time and money just replacing the tires (they only lasted 20k MAX) it just wasn't worth it to him since he drove so many miles a year. I think this kind of stuff just turns people away from the brand, not to mention more expensive repairs. Some people appreciate the complexity and features, and others understandably have better things to worry about.

MB are performance luxury vehicles that require more maintenance than others. To some, the driving experience they get is worth it to them, but to many others it just isn't. With my dad's GL450, he spent so much time and money just replacing the tires (they only lasted 20k MAX) it just wasn't worth it to him since he drove so many miles a year. I think this kind of stuff just turns people away from the brand, not to mention more expensive repairs. Some people appreciate the complexity and features, and others understandably have better things to worry about.
My turn off is that I remember owning fast cars when I was in my 20's, and 90% of the time it doesn't matter how fast it is. You're sitting in traffic or not trying to get thrown in jail for tripling the speed limit, so now reliability and features are more my jam, as long as it's not a total dog. The stuff out of Japan now has most of the features the higher level MB/BMW's have, lacking only the drivetrain, really, and are super reliable in comparison, so I just kindof lost my desire to ever own anything German at this point unless it's an older P car that I restore after I retire or something.

It basically depends on what you buy. That probably makes sense for a GLS 63 AMG. The lower end models aren't as expense to maintain. The brakes on my E-350 aren't that expensive, they're normal for rotors and pads. But as you go up to an E550, the rotors/pads get more expensive and harder to find and the E63 uses special rotors and pads so that you could be paying 2k just in parts for rotors and pads. My E-350 is around $250 for pads and rotors. Plus no airmatic, that can cost $1k or more per corner to replace. The AMG tended to have more expensive and exotic parts that weren't on the lower end models, the 63 is a completely different engine than what you'd find on the 450 or 550. I'm not sure how the newer ones are, but before the new head bolts came out after 2011, engines would blow a head gasket and toast the whole engine, it also had a bunch of other engine issues.

They're not bad if you don't go to the dealer. I don't aside from warranty and software firmware updates that only the dealer can do.

Reactions: Ws6
Find a local independent MB mechanic and get his opinion on the car. $100 well spent, almost guaranteed to save the rest $9900.

My turn off is that I remember owning fast cars when I was in my 20's, and 90% of the time it doesn't matter how fast it is. You're sitting in traffic or not trying to get thrown in jail for tripling the speed limit, so now reliability and features are more my jam, as long as it's not a total dog. The stuff out of Japan now has most of the features the higher level MB/BMW's have, lacking only the drivetrain, really, and are super reliable in comparison, so I just kindof lost my desire to ever own anything German at this point unless it's an older P car that I restore after I retire or something.

Yep, I totally get that. My car is just an entry level 3-series with a naturally aspirated engine. Bought it used, it handles great for my needs, and luckily with my work hours I can still open it up enough on empty roads early in the morning. I have no desire for anything more powerful especially if I sat in city traffic. A friend owns a tuned 335i pushing 600 hp. I'm not sure how it's even usable on the street. You can only press the gas for a few seconds before you are passing arrestable speeds, and we are several hours from any tracks. :confused:

Yep, I totally get that. My car is just an entry level 3-series with a naturally aspirated engine. Bought it used, it handles great for my needs, and luckily with my work hours I can still open it up enough on empty roads early in the morning. I have no desire for anything more powerful especially if I sat in city traffic. A friend owns a tuned 335i pushing 600 hp. I'm not sure how it's even usable on the street. You can only press the gas for a few seconds before you are passing arrestable speeds, and we are several hours from any tracks. :confused:
I had a 2011 Z06. 0-100 in under 8 seconds. You're right. It's fun, but if you keep having fun, you're statistically bound to also have a big not fun. My little Japanese SUV is 0-100 in like 16 seconds, lol, and it's enough for me on most days.

Looks like you probably had the 19 inch tires. There's a few 20k sets of tires out there, but Costco also sells a 50k set. On the 18 there are also 80k sets of tires you can buy.

Find a local independent MB mechanic and get his opinion on the car. $100 well spent, almost guaranteed to save the rest $9900.
I would prefer the dealer, they see them all the time plus they will have the MB system to run a scan. You can also get the VMI from the dealer, can't do that at an indy and the VMI will tell you if maintenance has been done and whether you need to do it or not like the airmatic. Get the VMI before the appointment starts as some dealers won't give it out, then you can just threaten to cancel it and go to another dealer that will. Plus you'll get some snacks/drinks and a car wash which you won't get at the indy.

Looks like you probably had the 19 inch tires. There's a few 20k sets of tires out there, but Costco also sells a 50k set. On the 18 there are also 80k sets of tires you can buy.

I would prefer the dealer, they see them all the time plus they will have the MB system to run a scan. You can also get the VMI from the dealer, can't do that at an indy and the VMI will tell you if maintenance has been done and whether you need to do it or not like the airmatic. Get the VMI before the appointment starts as some dealers won't give it out, then you can just threaten to cancel it and go to another dealer that will. Plus you'll get some snacks/drinks and a car wash which you won't get at the indy.
1. If the maintenance was done at any decent shop, it’ll be available for free via carfax care. If the service history is empty there, I wouldn’t even consider the car. You can check any car by it’s license plate in 5 seconds
2. In my experience, I’ve seen only 1 dealer that was on par with my local MB shop. I’m not talking about a generic “European car care” at a local shell gas station.
3. I don’t care if the car gets washed, I’m there for diagnostic

He had the 20" wheel package with the run flats, and this was back in 2009-2013. Many of our local tire shops wouldn't even mount them. The dealer only gave the option of the OE Goodyears. We found a tire shop that offered both the Goodyears and a Bridgestone. The Bridgestones were slightly better for less money, but still ridiculous. He towed with it too, which killed the tires even faster.

3. I don’t care if the car gets washed, I’m there for diagnostic
Yeah but the donuts/sandwiches might be good. Mine has a free breakfast/lunch counter. Not all MB dealers report to carfax, found a lot of stuff on the VMI that wasn't in carfax.

Back