2008 Honda Element buring oil after full syn switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
It's been debated here but I've seen engines that ran on one particular oil for a long time and after a switch of oil brands this kind of thing happens.

Watch it and see if solves itself after a couple more oil changes.

this~

I remember years ago when I had started using Havoline in pretty much everything (Pre-depositshield) and then started putting it in my parents vehicles. My dad's f150 with the 4.6 started to use oil for a bit after switching it from whatever was used in it previously but after a couple intervals it stopped using.

As mentioned it can happen and might take a few OCIs to resolve itself. I think what happens more often that not is most people aren't aware that switching to synthetic oil might cause this, and that it can go away. Instead they switch back and then trash synthetic oil. The same can happen changing brands, and you'll hear about people trashing the brand instead of giving it time. Human nature rules in many instances, it's easier to complain than look for an answer, or try and wait it out.

Good on the OP for seeking an answer.

How much did you burn by the time you reached your old 5k interval? That is really what you should compare.

Just adding a different angle to all the good comments you already have, I owned a high revving vw golf in the 90's. Ran it on Mobil 1FS since new.
At 150k miles stage, mobile changed the grade form 10/50 (or maybe 15/50) to 0/40. After the first change, the engine starled using oil; I think this happened a lot as mobile introduced the M1 10/50 FS grade for higher mileage vehicles.

Once I put this in it, the problem went away. The car ran happily for another 60k miles when it was stolen
frown.gif

I owned a new '03 K24 5/20 spec Honda Accord..I hope it's just a couple OCI's but have doubts.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I have seen a number of these K24's take a significant spike in oil consumption once they reach between 100K-150K miles. Regardless of viscosity, oil type or PCV (rarely an issue), there is not much that you can do about it.

Over the last 5k miles (between 125-130K), the one in my girlfriend's 07 jumped from 1 qt every 4k to 1 qt every 2K AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30.

The car also gobbled up oil when using 20 weight oil.

2007 Honda Accord, 130650 miles
Out: Idemitsu 5W-20, OE Honda oil filter, about 2500 miles. Drained this early due to massive oil consumption.
In: Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30, OE Honda oil filter. This will be my first time using a 30-wt in this vehicle.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I have seen a number of these K24's take a significant spike in oil consumption once they reach between 100K-150K miles. Regardless of viscosity, oil type or PCV (rarely an issue), there is not much that you can do about it.

Over the last 5k miles (between 125-130K), the one in my girlfriend's 07 jumped from 1 qt every 4k to 1 qt every 2K AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30.

Out: Idemitsu 5W-20, OE Honda oil filter, about 2500 miles. Drained this early due to massive oil consumption.
In: Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30, OE Honda oil filter. This will be my first time using a 30-wt in this vehicle.

I think The Critic meant "AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-20."

I don't think you noticed the slight burning of oil when only going 5K miles. Now that you're OCI is 10K, the burning is more noticeable. I doubt it has to do with the oil itself.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
How much did you burn by the time you reached your old 5k interval? That is really what you should compare.

It probably went from the top hole on the dipstick down about 1/4th towards the bottom hole.Most of the usage seems to have happened after the 5k point.I'm going to keep a closer watch on it after my next oil change to see for sure if it's using equally during the 10k interval or if it speeds up after the 5k.

W20 is real tough on the timing chain and equipment here too, best to get off it asap.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I think The Critic meant "AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-20."

Sort of. When I made the post, I forgot about the 5W-20 that I had used for a brief period of time.

I used 0W-20 from about 95K-123K. Then I switched to 5W-20 synthetic for 5K, no problems. Then I did a second oil change with 5W-20 and after 2500 miles it was quite low on oil. So I filled it with EP HM 5W-30 and after only 1800 miles it was 1 qt low. I think the increase in consumption is a mechanical issue and is not related (or remedied) by a switch in oil.

Originally Posted by Garyd
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

It probably went from the top hole on the dipstick down about 1/4th towards the bottom hole.Most of the usage seems to have happened after the 5k point.I'm going to keep a closer watch on it after my next oil change to see for sure if it's using equally during the 10k interval or if it speeds up after the 5k.

From my own use of 5k intervals on a V8 car I owned for 6 years, I saw anywhere from a 1/4, 1/2, to 2/3 of a quart burn off, depending on the brand used, all 5w30.

As you lose oil as the miles ad up, the remaining oil is working harder and harder while becoming more and more depleted. Burn rate ramps up. I've always been a fan of adding a little extra when I change my oil. If I had your fit, I would probably put an extra 1/3 quart in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back