2008 Honda Element buring oil after full syn switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Honda Element is burning oil after switching to full synthetic. For the first 9 years and 110,000 miles I used Honda synthetic blend with a Honda oil filter changed about every 5k and I never had to add oil between changes. Then last year, I was invited to participate in the Pennzoil Oil Analysis Program and I switched to the Pennzoil Ultra-Platinum they provided and a Fram Ultra filter. Since the first Blackstone oil analysis of my drained Honda Synth Blend said I could run it to 8k with no problem, I decided to run the Pennz Full Synth to 10k. During that 10k interval, I noticed that I had to add over a half of a quart of oil. The Blackstone analysis of the drained Pennz Ultra Platinum after 10k said:

"Wear metals look good in this sample. There weren't a lot of increases since last time, despite this oil seeing almost twice as much use. There was some slight accumulation, sure, but no more than we'd consider normal with the longer interval in mind. Silicon did read high in this sample, so it wouldn't hurt to check for air intake leaks just in case some of it is abrasive contamination, but with wear metals looking
good, we're not totally convinced there's anything too harmful going on. No contamination from fuel dilution,
water, or coolant was noted. Try 12,000 miles."

Now during this second run of Pennz Ultra Plat, I have had to add almost a quart of oil during another almost 10k interval. Is this something I should be concerned about? What do you think is going on? Should I switch back to synth blend or stay with full synth? How do I check for air intake leaks like Blackstone suggests? BTW, I have no oil leaks that I can see.

1/2 - 1 quart in 10K miles is nothing. As for why. It's possible that that particular oil in your application doesn't resist burn-off like the previous oil used. It could also be the PP cleaned up some gunk that was preventing oil from slipping past the the rings / valve seals. Who knows but really 1/2 - 1 quart is nothing to worry about at 10K miles.

Does it use any oil up until the 5K miles with the Pennzoil versus the Syn-Blend used prior?

Last edited:
My `07 Accord with the 2.4L also uses about the same, maybe a little bit more. I am running Amsoil 5w-20 SS w/ the XG7317. I think the consensus is, this is normal consumption.

It's been debated here but I've seen engines that ran on one particular oil for a long time and after a switch of oil brands this kind of thing happens.

Watch it and see if solves itself after a couple more oil changes.

I have a 3.4 Toyota that hasn't used any 5/30 oil in 276k, your problem is typical, bump the grade like you should have from the beginning.

To StevieC: Most of the oil consumption does seem to happen after the 5k or after my Element's maintenance minder says it's time for an oil change but there was some before the 5k mark.

To dbishock: What do you mean by "bump up the grade"? What should I bump it up to?

GaryD so it might have had this issue with the Syn-Blend and it just appears that the new oil is causing it. That's what I was getting at. Either way 1/2-1 quart in 10K miles is not bad at all.

To StevieC: Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about, if the longer interval made the consumption more obvious.

To dblshock: That's what I figured. Thanks. I will try that at my next oil change.

Changing from conventional to synthetic or synthetic to conventional should have no effect on oil consumption.

If your PCV valve is OK (given the reliability of Japanese cars, it probably is), chances are that your valve-stem oil seals are hardening due to normal aging and not sealing well. Perhaps you can switch to a high-mileage oil and see if they will soften and seal better again. Also, thicker oils help dramatically with worn or hardened valve-stem oil seals. So, try a high-mileage 5W-30 perhaps, such as M1 HM or M1 EP HM 5W-30.

The most likely reason your engine started using oil is due to cleaning piston rings and their grooves from carbon buildup and thus allowing more blow by to go into combustion chamber and to burn. Valve seals could be leaking now too.
It's not because of full syn oil but 'cos much better cleaning oil.
If concerned with oil use, switch back to the oil you used before, it may take some time and a few oil changes to grow the buildup again thou. Or use HM full syn if you wanna use full syn.

I have seen a number of these K24's take a significant spike in oil consumption once they reach between 100K-150K miles. Regardless of viscosity, oil type or PCV (rarely an issue), there is not much that you can do about it.

Over the last 5k miles (between 125-130K), the one in my girlfriend's 07 jumped from 1 qt every 4k to 1 qt every 2K AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I have seen a number of these K24's take a significant spike in oil consumption once they reach between 100K-150K miles. Regardless of viscosity, oil type or PCV (rarely an issue), there is not much that you can do about it.

Over the last 5k miles (between 125-130K), the one in my girlfriend's 07 jumped from 1 qt every 4k to 1 qt every 2K AFTER switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30.

Oh, if thicker oil makes it worse, it could be a ring-wear issue.

I was going to also suggest M1 HM 10W-30 (a pretty thick xW-30) or M1 HM 10W-40 but I'm not sure if it would be OK in OP's climate in the winter or help with the issue, as it could be caused by ring wear.

1 quart in 10,000 miles? no worries at all. Engine is in great shape.

Just think ... over 10k miles, assuming average speed of 35 mph and average rpm of 1800, that is 6 cylinders each having traveled up AND down 30,857,142 times ... or from an oil use perspective it would translate to one cylinder traveling up AND down 185 million times, losing one quart. Truly impressive.

others accomplish that on zero burnt...oil burn is a engine headed the wrong direction fast, it never 'gets better' and it's the product of hi speed driving on W20 motor oils IMO but congrats you probably saved the earth a cup of carbon earlier, now your depositing it back.

Originally Posted by dblshock
..oil burn is a engine headed the wrong direction fast...

ummm?

others accomplish that on zero burnt...oil burn is a engine headed the wrong direction fast, it never 'gets better' and it's the product of hi speed driving on W20 motor oils IMO but congrats you probably saved the earth a cup of carbon earlier, now your depositing it back.

More broken record blather.

You are entitled to your opinion, but this isn't a correct statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back