2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD OM642

Hi
My latest oil analysis.
Only 4000 miles on this oil due to covid. Short journeys and stop start.
Petronas Syntium C3 Mb229.51.

Density @ 15.5°C (g/ml) 0.860

Viscosity @ 100°C (cSt) 11.8 cSt

Calcium (%) 0.142

Zinc (%) 0.085

Soot (%) 0.9%

Cr 1
Pb 0
Ni 0
Sn 0
B 114
Fe 27
Mo 120
Si 14
V 0
Al 7
Cu 2
Na 5

Diagnostic/Action
Comments are advisory only and based on information received
MILLERCARE SAMPLE ANALYSIS
Oil Condition

Report Date:
01/09/2020
Analyst:
The viscosity is in grade. Wear Metals are at a satisfactory level. The oil is in good condition.

Iron levels are what i have come to expect with this engine and i suspect are as a result of short journeys and stop/start.

Comments and observations on this are always welcome.

seems to have held up well so far?

Hi.
I am mot really sure to be honest. I thought iron levels at 27 were high considering only 4000 miles on the oil. Having said that i noted the soot levels are at 0.9% so it may well be purely down to a lot of cold running and stop starts. It all seems consistent with previous oil analysis.
I do like the healthy dose of moly and boron though.

I have an OM642 in an 08 MB ML with 120k miles. I have 4 uoa's on it. Using Mobil 1 5-40 esp I got 60ppm of iron with 9500 miles, and 42ppm with 5600 miles. With Valvoline 5-40 mst I got 29ppm with 4k miles. All of these are C3 oils. My latest uoa is with Mobil 1 5-40 CK diesel oil. I got 58ppm of iron with 5500 miles. I'm starting to think these engines just throw out a lot of iron. They have iron cylinder sleeves in an aluminum block. I would be interested in other opinions.

I have an OM642 in an 08 MB ML with 120k miles. I have 4 uoa's on it. Using Mobil 1 5-40 esp I got 60ppm of iron with 9500 miles, and 42ppm with 5600 miles. With Valvoline 5-40 mst I got 29ppm with 4k miles. All of these are C3 oils. My latest uoa is with Mobil 1 5-40 CK diesel oil. I got 58ppm of iron with 5500 miles. I'm starting to think these engines just throw out a lot of iron. They have iron cylinder sleeves in an aluminum block. I would be interested in other opinions.

Hi.
Thank you for posting your findings. I appreciate it.

We are both seeing similar iron levels. Seems my Petronas compares well with your choices. Are those C3 you use all MB229.51 approved?

That is interesting result with the CK Diesel engine oil. Seems high at 58ppm for only 5500 miles. My previous result from 2019 with same oil but with 5,000 miles was 28ppm of iron. This sample also had high soot level at 1.5%.

There was an interesting debate about the heavy duty diesel engine oils versus the C3 oils in one of my early posts. I have no DPF to protect so could in theory use either. One suggestion was the Ravenol Nordtruck 5w-40.

Yes all are C3 oils except the CK which is your E9. I was surprised about the iron with this oil. The silicon was a bit high and I remembered that the intake Y tube red seal had come lose and became looser until I started hearing air intake noises. My indy shop found it was loose and was the wrong seal number. I figure that was the reason for the high silicon. I wonder if that would increase iron wear?? The CK-E9 oils should be more protective. If you don't have a dpf, I would use E9 oils. The C3 oils are just to protect the **** DPF. I'd rather protect my engine.

Hi.
Just to clarify that my third paragraph was referring to the Petronas C3 i had used previously.

I cant find the thread regarding the HDEO vs C3 in my OM642. It would seem you are in the HDEO camp.

Back