Jeep W5J400 - Mercedes 722.6 ATF Analaysis.

Hi.
A little background information first if i may.

I have a 2008, Diesel Grand Cherokee. It has the OM642 Engine coupled to the W5J400 Transmission. This is Jeep's designation for the Mercedes 722.6. The W5J400 was made in Germany by Mercedes.

My Jeep has 102,000 miles on it. The fluid and filter was changed via a simple pan drop about 20,000 miles ago. Invoice for fluid said 'Mopar Dexron 4'. Not sure what was used.

I have Arthritic joints so i can't get under the Jeep to do a proper pan drop. I thought that pumping some old fluid out of the dipstick tube and replacing with fresh is better than doing nothing.

I sucked 2 litres out and put two litres of Ravenol ATF+4 back in. I intend to keep doing this into the future.

The fluid was not as black as i expected. Still had a red tint to it. Did not smell burnt, no bad smell at all really.

I sent of a sample for analysis as follows.
..................................................................................

Appearance Red, Opaque

Density @ 15.5°C (g/ml) 0.841

Viscosity @ 100°C (cSt) 6.07

Calcium (%) 0.028

Zinc (%) 0.002

Cr - 0
Pb - 12
Ni - 1
Sn - 22
B - 83
Fe - 169
Mo - 0
Si - 9
V - 0
Al - 37
Cu - 335
Na - 18

Comment from Analysis Company.

'The viscosity is acceptable. Wear Metal Analysis reveals high Copper and Tin (Bronze)'
..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Any comments or suggestions or observations would be most helpful please. I am no expert. Not sure where the copper is coming from. This Transmission uses bearings rather than bushings.

I should add that that Transmission is working perfectly. No issues at all with it.

Many thanks.

Tikka.

That's a good transmission if you take care of it. Does that Ravenol meet the 722.6 specs? Some had torque converter drain plugs and some didn't. The drain plug is small and can be overlooked. I'd keep doing what you are doing.

That's a good transmission if you take care of it. Does that Ravenol meet the 722.6 specs? Some had torque converter drain plugs and some didn't. The drain plug is small and can be overlooked. I'd keep doing what you are doing.
Hi.
Thanks for replying.

I used the Ravenol ATF+4. That is the fluid that Jeep recommends for the Transmission when used in a Jeep.

Just in case i misunderstood loneryder. The Ravenol ATF+4 is a Chrysler approved and licensed fluid.

Back