2008 Envoy -- the good/bad/ugly...

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I would buy another low mile TB if the price was right. I actually found a low mile V8 swb nearby but the asking price was well above what I am willing to spend. With 230k miles, my '03 has been extremely reliable needing nothing more than what I consider basic maintenance...fan clutch, thermostat, several CV axles, tie rods, ball joints. I just keep changing fluids and filters and it keeps on going. Mine is nearing the point that a major failure will be the end of our time together.

I know a few people who had these through the years and they aren't bad at all. All had a few of the problems outlined in this thread at higher miles, but never all of them. Everything is easy and cheap to fix.

I say go for it.

I've got 144,000 miles on mine and other than basic maintenance (fluid, filters, brakes, tires), the only thing I've done was a radiator, water pump, thermostat and fan clutch. I've done some upgrades to the suspension, at which point I replaced ball joints and bushings for peace of mind, and I've got a custom made torque converter on it, as well as custom braided brake hoses. Also went ahead and installed a heavy duty air-to-oil ATF cooler and a higher capacity Derale transmission pan running TES-295 fluid. It's been good to me, and I love it.

I say go for it.

I've got 144,000 miles on mine and other than basic maintenance (fluid, filters, brakes, tires), the only thing I've done was a radiator, water pump, thermostat and fan clutch. I've done some upgrades to the suspension, at which point I replaced ball joints and bushings for peace of mind, and I've got a custom made torque converter on it, as well as custom braided brake hoses. Also went ahead and installed a heavy duty air-to-oil ATF cooler and a higher capacity Derale transmission pan running TES-295 fluid. It's been good to me, and I love it.
how much did the braided hoses help

As someone noted, I had thought about trying to get into a pre-07 Tahoe. When they do become available, they are asking ridiculous prices for them. At this point in time, they are all coming from salt-free areas to MN.

I didn't have time to look at it, not in any hurry at all.

how much did the braided hoses help
The hoses alone certainly made for a noticeably firmer pedal, but combined with slotted/dimpled EBC rotors and Blue Stuff pads, the difference was night and day. Although that was not really my intension when I decided to switch to braided hoses; I replace rubber brake hoses every 3 years, as they deteriorate quickly in this part of the world due to heat. This meant I did not have to do that anymore, and the firmer pedal is an added advantage.

The hoses alone certainly made for a noticeably firmer pedal, but combined with slotted/dimpled EBC rotors and Blue Stuff pads, the difference was night and day. Although that was not really my intension when I decided to switch to braided hoses; I replace rubber brake hoses every 3 years, as they deteriorate quickly in this part of the world due to heat. This meant I did not have to do that anymore, and the firmer pedal is an added advantage.
Great to hear. I have a set that im planning to install i'll let you know how it does.

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate: despite my inherent hate for the GMT360's, I'd be lying if I said they aren't a reliable if not finnicky truck. The Atlas motor is basically bulletproof, it's everything that's bolted to them that causes issues. To name a few:

Electro-hydraulic fan clutch
Water pump
Alternator
Thermostat
Injectors
Coil packs
AC hoses
Radiator
4L60 trans
Window regulators

Etc, etc. Friend of mine currently owns a Trailblazer with well over 200k and it's been mostly reliable, but it's still running. Bottom line, I'd skip it.
You hit the nail HARD! I've done several water pump and Fan clutches, coils and thermostats. The 4L60 is to be expected to last 100k miles and the rest of the vehicle is pretty solid.

The 4L60 is to be expected to last 100k miles and the rest of the vehicle is pretty solid.
Transmission failure does not surprise me, because the ATF temperatures I started seeing when I bought mine were alarming; not only would it match engine temperature for the most part, well over the 175°F sweet spot, but it would sometimes run even hotter than the engine at temperatures exceeding 220°F.

One of the first things I ever did to mine was to install an external air-to-oil ATF cooler in front of the condenser with braided lines. I also replaced the factory transmission pan with a higher capacity Derale cooling pan; both of these helped significantly dropped ATF temperatures and I have yet to see it a hair over 190°F, even in extreme heat and stop and go traffic. This is with a 10" custom-built, higher stall torque converter installed.

I ran Dexron VI for a short while and substituted a quart of ATF for a quart of LubeGard Red, I later switched to TES-295 fluid and I have yet to have any transmission issues with over 144,000 miles, touch wood. My service intervals have also been significantly reduced. Although that does not mean the transmission will last forever; Trav and I are working on a heavy-duty rebuild that'll take place sometime in the near future before it fails.

Transmission failure does not surprise me, because the ATF temperatures I started seeing when I bought mine were alarming; not only would it match engine temperature for the most part, well over the 175°F sweet spot, but it would sometimes run even hotter than the engine at temperatures exceeding 220°F.

One of the first things I ever did to mine was to install an external air-to-oil ATF cooler in front of the condenser with braided lines. I also replaced the factory transmission pan with a higher capacity Derale cooling pan; both of these helped significantly dropped ATF temperatures and I have yet to see it a hair over 190°F, even in extreme heat and stop and go traffic. This is with a 10" custom-built, higher stall torque converter installed.

I ran Dexron VI for a short while and substituted a quart of ATF for a quart of LubeGard Red, I later switched to TES-295 fluid and I have yet to have any transmission issues with over 144,000 miles, touch wood. My service intervals have also been significantly reduced. Although that does not mean the transmission will last forever; Trav and I are working on a heavy-duty rebuild that'll take place sometime in the near future before it fails.
That sounds like a great transmission combination!

i change my 460le fluid every 30k. so far so good but i like the idea of an aux cooler as i am in florida. my neighbor never changes his atf and is on 4th transmission at 280k

TB 2008 383000km , replaced thermostat (twice), pulley(thrice) , engine seals. Once transmission rebuild , power steering service. Thrice Bushings/Ball joints and shocks/struts. Recently oil consumption increased 1Ltr per 1000km, last week cleaned PCV ventilation.

myasin

Back