2008 BMW M3, BMW TwinPower Turbo 10W-60, 4672 mi

Previous UOA here. 129808 miles on the engine at the time of sampling (minor typo in the report).

1x 2-day track event on this oil (NJMP Lightning, intermediate pace, street tires). Also, a few exhaust leaks and minor emissions system gremlins found and fixed, hence the marginally earlier change; once I saw the problems, I realized I might have been dumping a bunch of contaminants in the oil for who-knows-how-long, so I wanted to get the oil out of there and start fresh. If the fuel dilution number in this report is any indication, maybe I was right.

Seems like the formulation has changed. BMW recently announced a switch from Shell back to Castrol for engine lubricants so maybe that's where the Ti and higher Mo are coming from. Different wear metals profile, too. Starting to wonder if I now have to throw out most of my UOA history. Ugh.

In the pic, ignore the anomalously low fuel dilution reading on the earliest visible sample. It was not reliable.

Wear Metals

Iron - 6
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 1
Copper - 2
Lead - 2
Tin - 0
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 11

Contaminant Metals

Silicon - 6
Sodium - 3
Potassium - 1

Multi-Source Metals

Titanium - 36
Molybdenum - 166
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 0
Lithium - 0
Boron - 33

Additive Metals

Magnesium - 18
Calcium - 2816
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 809
Zinc - 986

Other Contaminants

Fuel Dilution - 2.6% (GC)
Soot - Water -

Fluid Properties

Viscosity @ 100º C - 19.4 cSt
TBN - 5.23
Oxidation - 13
Nitration - 10

Pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like nice and consistent results, even with the track day fun. Full send and don’t worry about anything. That will help burn off the fuel. 👍🏼😁

Looks like nice and consistent results, even with the track day fun.
Sure does look that way. Hope the reality matches the numbers.

Full send and don’t worry about anything. That will help burn off the fuel. 👍🏼😁
"Full send and don't worry about anything" was one of the reasons I wanted this car. :)

(now watch it blow up tomorrow lol)

I just hope I've managed to mitigate the fuel dilution. Guess we'll find out on the next report.

Back