2008 and newer 4 door Jeep wranglers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im considering one of these for my wifes daily driver, we live off the beaten path and in the winter even our FWD cars can be a challenge. Ive pretty much sworn to always have a 4x4 (and i do) but the wifes not as lucky.. I know some chrysler products, some older jeep products, and some dodge products are fat with known problems.. Im not familiar with the wrangler lineup in jeeps.

the good the bad the ugly.

who's our resident jeep expert ?

For a daily driver I'd look at '11+ Patriot with Freedom Drive 2. Decent gas mileage and much smoother on the road than a Wrangler. The Wrangler will no doubt be capable in severe conditions but it isn't worth the mileage hit and rough ride, imo the Wrangler is the most impractical vehicle made today to serve as a daily driver.

How much of a budget are you working with?

Last edited:
I love mine, but it has a water leak on the passenger floor that no one can fix after 7 attempts. I've contacted Chrysler so they know that they will get it right if it takes 10 years. Some years, I believe 07-08 have oil consumption problems due to some piston ring assembly blunder for certain motors assembled in Mexico. Some have had new engines installed under warranty, others use thicker oil and it has gone away. I'd stick with an '09 and up. Expect 17mpg city, 19mpg highway. 3.8 V-6 is relatively reliable, same as in the Chrysler Minivans. Hard to stop in the snow. I hope to keep mine forever.

Last edited:
In inclement weather, everything else comparable (tires, vehicle), an AWD system will do better than the old chain driven, part time transfer case that a wrangler has.

The 4 door JKs really aren't that big (surprising). The 3.8 engine is known to consume oil.

I'd take a Wrangler over a Patriot or Compass any day of the week. Get a good set of tires on it like LTX MS or DuraTrac and it will do fine in the snow.

The 4 doors are a bit more stable in the winter than the 2 doors thanks to the longer wheel base. The 2 door wranglers swap ends pretty quick!

They did something real stupid with the transmission cooler. Instead of running it through the bottom tank on the radiator they run it through the bottom of the a/c condenser. Everytime we go on a run one of those four doors over heats the transmission and we all have to stop and wait for it to cool down. some guys are adding an auxiliary cooler with an electric fan mounted on it

Originally Posted By: RamFan
For a daily driver I'd look at '11+ Patriot with Freedom Drive 2. Decent gas mileage and much smoother on the road than a Wrangler. The Wrangler will no doubt be capable in severe conditions but it isn't worth the mileage hit and rough ride, imo the Wrangler is the most impractical vehicle made today to serve as a daily driver.

How much of a budget are you working with?

I appreciate your honest opinion, when i do buy i will likely be looking to keep the price at or under $30,000 (for a good used 1-2 year old model) ?????

As already mentioned some of the Mexican assembled engines had issues with the rings being installed incorrectly causing a lot of oil consumption in some cases. Make sure the engine was not assembled in Mexico. A simple Google search will tell you how to tell if the engine was assembled in Mexico or not.

Does it have to be new-ish? An XJ cherokee would be about the right combo of ground clearance, skinny tires (215), and sturdy axles and stuff. A decent one will be hard to find.

The Liberty doesn't have quite the same rep; I got one on auction from my work and the manual transmission made all sorts of noises that everyone says were normal.

My rural mail lady has a 4 door wrangler, so they do take abuse.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does it have to be new-ish? An XJ cherokee would be about the right combo of ground clearance, skinny tires (215), and sturdy axles and stuff. A decent one will be hard to find.

The Liberty doesn't have quite the same rep; I got one on auction from my work and the manual transmission made all sorts of noises that everyone says were normal.

My rural mail lady has a 4 door wrangler, so they do take abuse.

Last 2 years of XJ and lats few years of Tj will make the same noise. The NV3500 were very noisey transmissions.

Wish I had one
frown.gif
I like gear whine.

Go with a newer 3.6 equipped Jeep. It is day and night better than the 3.8 models. More power, better mileage and newer technology. Maybe give the Grand Cherokee some consideration if your not dead set on a Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Go with a newer 3.6 equipped Jeep. It is day and night better than the 3.8 models. More power, better mileage and newer technology. Maybe give the Grand Cherokee some consideration if your not dead set on a Wrangler.

Ive always liked the cherokee's but the 2000's (ish) with there LOADS of problems has always had me gunshy of looking at them. i realize that was a a long time ago, ive not searched or studied up on the newer stuff.

My dad's 3.8 has been very reliable. Then again it spends several months out of the year being dragged behind a Ford V10 motorhome.

His only real complaint is that it gets worse gas mileage than their Mercury Mountaineer 4.0. The Mountaineer (Explorer) will probably go 4/5ths of the places the Wrangler does, has an extra row of seating, and has a bigger engine but still gets better gas mileage. (but hey! it gets a few more miles per gallon than the motorhome
laugh.gif
)

I installed on a new Grand Cherokee today. Very nice truck. A lot of Mercedes ML left over in that thing including locating the battery under the passenger front seat.

Check out Jeep.com. You can get a new Wrangler unlimited for less than 30k. That are not as big inside as they look, but that should not be an issue if your wife is under 6 feet.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Get a six speed 3.8. I had an auto for about a year. I towed a bit, but I put in a. B&m stacked plate trans cooler. The 3.8 would be well served with a stick. Four gears ain't enough with a heavy unlimited.

My 2010 was an AT with 3.73s. It got about 13 in town and maybe 16-17 on the highway. It was underpowered IMO and had terrible trans programming.

If it rained,you got wet. The rain gutters on the top were worthless. As soon as you opened the door,water ran inside. Generally all over your legs. The freedom top didn't leak like the earlier models were prone to do.

I installed an additional trans cooler as it needed one badly.

Some of the MT models had an issue with the trans popping out of first gear.

If you use 4wd much you'll probably break the plastic clip that connects the transfer case with the shifter.

Poor headlights were a common complaint.

The doors aren't designed to provide any crash protection.

The JKs with the new 3.6 are supposed to be an entirely different beast. IIRC another 80hp and an additional gear for the AT models.

JKForum.com has a ton of good info.

Can't really go wrong with most Jeeps. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in an old 4.0 XJ Cherokee with 200,000 miles and drive cross-country, perhaps one of the lowest dollar-per-mile (in terms of purchase price and repairs, not so much gasoline!) vehicles ever built. The Liberty, for all the shame it takes for replacing the XJ Cherokee, really is a pretty solid vehicle. The 3.7 v6 won't break any records, but its rugged. I actually like the 2-nd gen (boxy) Liberty quite a bit- the first one looked too much like my daughter's barbie toys. The 3.8 used up until the Pentastar came out in the Wrangler is very much like the old inline 4.0 it replaced- solid, low-tech, iron-block dependable. Can't kill them with a sledgehammer. The Pentastar had a few teething pains in the first year and a half, so if you do look at a newer one with the Pentastar 3.6, go for a LATE 2012 build or a 2013. They found and fixed the issue (cylinder head related) at that time. It is miles ahead of the others in performance, but its a more complicated engine by far.

I know people on here have had good luck with the Patriot, but I just can't make myself accept that platform as a real Jeep. Its a front-drive with grafted-on AWD- yes, its capable enough for a small AWD, but I'm admitting personal bias here. The fact that it shares its platform with the Dodge Caliber puts a blight on it for me.

From your description (wife car, DAILY exposure to 4x4 use) I think I'd look at a 4-door Wrangler if you feel you should emphasize the ruggedness, or a Liberty (before they go out of production!) for something more civilized but still capable of rough use without falling apart.

And just a general comment on Chrysler products- I think they're generally better engineered than Ford, Toyota, Honda, or GM products, but at times they're poorly executed (build quality is more the issue than design), and this goes all the way back to the 1950s in cycles of boom-or-bust. There have been a handful of design boo-boos also- the A604 transmission (which evolved into the 41TE) and the 2.7L v6 engine that was mandated by Daimler management... but for the most part the problems are assembly related and the bad years are rather well known. For that reason, I would avoid the later Daimler years (about 2005-2009). I (my dad, I inherited it) got a good Ram from that era, but the company was really struggling and quality was all over the map. But as of 2013, they have got their stuff TOGETHER and the skyrocketing sales prove it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They did something real stupid with the transmission cooler. Instead of running it through the bottom tank on the radiator they run it through the bottom of the a/c condenser.

That's interesting that they did that with the Wrangler, because they also did that with the minivans a few years prior. Our '03 Grand Caravan had a separate condenser, separate transmission cooler (no tow package), and a dedicated radiator. But our '07 had the transmission cooler integrated with the condenser. In the end, both were smaller with less capacity, and you could tell with the A/C performance in the summer time. Even the stated refrigerant volume on the newer van's A/C system was less than on the older van. I really disliked that engineering decision.

My neighbor has a 2008 4-door JK, and my parents have a 2012 4-door JK. I would absolutely recommend the newer model, with the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Though still better on-road than the older 4.0L (they had an '06 TJ as well), the 3.8L engine is overwhelmed by the weight of a fully loaded 4-door JK. The 3.6L is a peach, though it does love to rev. Some people like that (I do), but it takes other people a long time to get used to that.

The 3.8 is a complete dog compared to the 4.0 - on the highway and off road. I'll take a 4.0 in a JK - then I'd get a better suspension, more interior room and an engine that belongs in a jeep

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Can't really go wrong with most Jeeps. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in an old 4.0 XJ Cherokee with 200,000 miles and drive cross-country, perhaps one of the lowest dollar-per-mile (in terms of purchase price and repairs, not so much gasoline!) vehicles ever built. The Liberty, for all the shame it takes for replacing the XJ Cherokee, really is a pretty solid vehicle. The 3.7 v6 won't break any records, but its rugged. I actually like the 2-nd gen (boxy) Liberty quite a bit- the first one looked too much like my daughter's barbie toys. The 3.8 used up until the Pentastar came out in the Wrangler is very much like the old inline 4.0 it replaced- solid, low-tech, iron-block dependable. Can't kill them with a sledgehammer. The Pentastar had a few teething pains in the first year and a half, so if you do look at a newer one with the Pentastar 3.6, go for a LATE 2012 build or a 2013. They found and fixed the issue (cylinder head related) at that time. It is miles ahead of the others in performance, but its a more complicated engine by far.

I know people on here have had good luck with the Patriot, but I just can't make myself accept that platform as a real Jeep. Its a front-drive with grafted-on AWD- yes, its capable enough for a small AWD, but I'm admitting personal bias here. The fact that it shares its platform with the Dodge Caliber puts a blight on it for me.

From your description (wife car, DAILY exposure to 4x4 use) I think I'd look at a 4-door Wrangler if you feel you should emphasize the ruggedness, or a Liberty (before they go out of production!) for something more civilized but still capable of rough use without falling apart.

And just a general comment on Chrysler products- I think they're generally better engineered than Ford, Toyota, Honda, or GM products, but at times they're poorly executed (build quality is more the issue than design), and this goes all the way back to the 1950s in cycles of boom-or-bust. There have been a handful of design boo-boos also- the A604 transmission (which evolved into the 41TE) and the 2.7L v6 engine that was mandated by Daimler management... but for the most part the problems are assembly related and the bad years are rather well known. For that reason, I would avoid the later Daimler years (about 2005-2009). I (my dad, I inherited it) got a good Ram from that era, but the company was really struggling and quality was all over the map. But as of 2013, they have got their stuff TOGETHER and the skyrocketing sales prove it.

My thoughts are the same - they try harder and have neat engineering, but they just can't make it work.

If I had a choice of 3.8 vs 3.6, I'd get the 3.8. The 3.8 is more of a Jeep engine than the 3.6 is. As long as it's one of the American built and not Mexican built engines (that drink oil and spin bearings) I think it would be a better choice.

My parents had one of the mexican built 3.8s ... Never had any power, consumed oil like crazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back