2005 Jeep Wrangler A/C Leak and Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler has a slow leak somewhere in the A/C system. I have owned it since new, and the A/C went down a couple of years ago. I can charge it up with a small R134a can, but it leaks back down within a few days. To clarify, it doesn't leak completely out, just down to a low pressure and seems to stabilize. I have it serviced last Fall, and the mechanic said he had to replace the Schrader valves in the service ports, but he had to use some used valves (oh well). Obviously this summer it was down again, and a friend at work who is a mechanic for our company helped me replace those again, with new ones. He pulled a vacuum on the system and it held; he charged it up, but within a week it was back to its non-functioning self. He also had a "sniffer", but couldn't find any evidence of leaks anywhere. Any ideas? Am I going to have to disassemble the system and replace all the o-rings?

The other thing is sometimes I get a loud thump from behind the glove box within a few seconds after I turn on the A/C, from the vent position. I don't think it's a blend door, because doesn't air flow over the evaporator core even with A/C turned off?

What the [censored] is the point of replacing a used valve with a used valve?

Also: A vac doesn't tell you jack squat with AC systems as far as leak testing goes. They pull parts together so they seal. In operation, they're under pressure

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
What the xxx is the point of replacing a used valve with a used valve?

I wondered that too. I always replace valve cores with new ones before a recharge. I stock a bunch

Sounds like a seal or fitting isnt able to hold the pressure when full and is purging some off, once the pressure drops then the seal can do its job. Have dye put in and check all the fittings after it gets weak again.

I bought a UV flashlight at Lowes and looked around tonight. I didn't have any dye to put in it, but there was still a little in the service port caps to give me an idea what it would look like when illuminated. I saw a few little dots behind the compressor hub, but couldn't tell if they were dye dots, or aluminum oxidation bits being highlighted. UV will "light up" white-colored items too. All fittings and hose crimps looked good. I will clean all the areas to check, get some dye, and re-check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back