2008 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is true that some of what he mentioned is subjective, it isn't anything compared to the subjective opinions you can find in many automotive magazines today. I would say his review is more objective than a lot of what I see in magazines.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The new Accord looks like a Saturn to me. Does the interior look like a Saturn, too?

No, the Accord plastic doesn't look and feel like Black and Decker tool boxes.

We test drove the upscale Saturn Aura, very nice car, but my wife thought a lot of the interior plastic was Black and Decker tool box quality level.

Haha, so true. Since about 2000 Saturn interiors have used kind of rough plastic. My sister's 1995 Saturn had decent plastic, but the seams and edges were rough and some of the gaps were kind of big.

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
The pictures I've seen (and there have been many) didn't do the car justice when I finally saw one in person.

I would agree. I finally saw one in person this week, and I must say, it looked even worse than in the pictures, mainly the Saturn-resembling rear. But the whole thing is just an unshapely huge blob. Unfortunately, that seems to be the overall trend nowadays. On the other hand, I like the looks of the new Civic.

I like both new Accords, but would prefer a TSX over the new Accord sedan. I prefer my Gen7 Accord Coupe over the TSX. That leaves the new Coupe...it's fat.

The New Accord uses timing chains. Switched from belts. The steering also telescopes. The car handles way better that the Camry. Front suspension uses wishbone (A arm) for better geometry and ride. Ride is very BMW like.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
The New Accord uses timing chains.

Only the I4. The V6 is still equipped with a timing belt.

Quote:
But your assessment of the Camry's driving position as awful is very subjective. I've driven several examples of the latest generation Camry, and I found driving position and comfort very good. The Camry now has the telescoping feature for the wheel, as the Avalon does, so almost everyone should be able to position it comfortably, and without it being on the legs (I just "re-evaluated" this in our Avalon this evening -- highly "customizable").

Fair enough, let me restate my findings regarding the driving position.

The Camry's driving position was acceptable with the seat fully lowered and the steering wheel raised. However, my knees were still fairly close to the steering wheel.

With the Accord, there was a significant amount of room between my knees and the steering wheel. The driving position was significantly more comfortable for long trips, at least to me.

The differences between the two driving positions were significant, not minor. It was enough for me to cross the Camry off my list. Trust me, I tried every combination possible with the telescoping steering wheel and seat in the Camry and it just did not come close to the driving position in the Accord.

You can find cheap materials and plastic in the accord. You have to pay the big bucks for a v6 if you want good soundproofing and other small details. I find this car very ugly and I could swear the door gaps are larger than acceptable. This is probably just an illusion. The centre stack of buttons is IMO a horrible mess with an unsightly knob to top it all off. Overall I can't find anything about this car that is much better than any of the competition. It does certainly drive nice but if they really want to market this as a drivers car then why not offer a manual with the v6? I'm sure that would make it a very appealing car to many more buyers.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
You can find cheap materials and plastic in the accord. You have to pay the big bucks for a v6 if you want good soundproofing and other small details.

I find the interior of the Camry to be significantly worse. Between the Camry, Accord and Malibu, I personally find the Accord's interior to be the best of the three.

As far as I know, there's no difference in the soundproofing between the V6 and I4.
Quote:
I find this car very ugly and I could swear the door gaps are larger than acceptable. This is probably just an illusion.

Gaps are no worse than the competition.

Quote:
The centre stack of buttons is IMO a horrible mess with an unsightly knob to top it all off.

As I've said, it appears to be a "horrible mess" in pictures, but in person the design of the center stack allows for quick and easy operation of the HVAC and Audio system, especially while the vehicle is in motion. To each his own, however.

Quote:
Overall I can't find anything about this car that is much better than any of the competition.

I do. The driving position is much better than the Malibu and the Camry, the design of the dash is superior, the interior design is better, and so are the seats.

Quote:
It does certainly drive nice but if they really want to market this as a drivers car then why not offer a manual with the v6? I'm sure that would make it a very appealing car to many more buyers.

They do. There's a 6MT V6 Coupe available.

I was given a loaner Camry and I remembered being very surprised. I thought, "why is this car such a best-seller when it's so boring to drive?" Of course, shortly thereafter I realized that was almost certainly the reason for its popularity. Sometimes it's hard for me to keep in mind that most car buyers are not enthusiasts.

The ride quality is very smooth and absorbs bumps well, but sacrifices handling response to do so. Compared to the Accord, it's like a boat on land. It's much quieter, however, and that combined with the plush ride is probably why the average buyer goes for the 'Yota.

By far, the Camry's interior was the most disappointing feature. The dashboard, lit up at night, looked like a cheap motel room alarm clock. For those of you who think the Accord's dash is too hectic, welcome to the future. Cars will only add more standard features and pretty soon most dashboards will be just as busy. However, they will probably not be as thoughtfully laid out as the Accord's. Upon first glance it seems overwhelming, but after a week of use you will most likely appreciate the button placement. In my experience with automobiles, Honda has one of the best records for ergonomics and intuitiveness.

But I am also critical of the timing belt issue (the J35 is quite versatile but dated), as well as the lack of HID projectors outside of the V6 coupe. The front end of the car looks a little labored, but it may have to do with new pedestrian safety regulations. I also feel Honda studied BMW intensely: the taillights are heavily reminiscent of the 5-Series, and the Hoffmeister kink in the rear window panel is quite a direct copy. The taillights in the JDM Honda Inspire (which is their version of our Accord) are slightly different and look very similar to the 7-Series.

There is no such thing as "the perfect car", but the '08 Accord is a well-tuned conglomeration of compromises. Honda has once again chosen to utilize double-wishbones on all four corners. Sharp handling, adequate power, cavernous interior, excellent standard features. It's also quite impressive that such a powerful six-cylinder could achieve Partial-Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) rating, though only available in 15 states.

Mike, again, you're stating personal opinions about the relative merits of the cars as facts. You've got to realize that others will see these subjective issues in their own terms, and there's no "right and wrong" about it, just what's important to them vs what's important to you. If a particular buyer values quiet and relaxed more than always listening to an engine or the wind, then they'll probably see the Camry as a better choice than the Accord.

One factual quasi-error in your statement, regarding sound deadening. According to the Honda site, the EX Accords, both V-6 and I-4 add the active noise cancellation feature, that the I-4 only LX cars do not have. So there is a difference, but it's not strictly I-4 vs V-6, but rather, LX vs EX (with the LX no longer being available as a V-6). Now, I could be reading the chart wrong, or it could be a mis-print, but again, from Honda, there is a difference in the Accord family re noise deadening capability.

When I went looking at new cars, the Accord was at the top of my list, mostly because of the interior. I was 90% sold already. Then I made the mistake of test driving a TL just for the heck of it and now I own the glorified Accord.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
When I went looking at new cars, the Accord was at the top of my list, mostly because of the interior. I was 90% sold already. Then I made the mistake of test driving a TL just for the heck of it and now I own the glorified Accord.

We got one last year. We tried to convince ourselves it didn't make sense when the Accord was the same beneath the skin (they feel like different cars) but cold logic lost and we bought a TL.

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
I like both new Accords, but would prefer a TSX over the new Accord sedan.

I'd also go for the Acura.

Something weird on the 08 Accord.

I drive 50 miles one way 4 days a week and all day at work.

I still have NOT seen a 2008 Accord on the road!

Saw the new Toyota, Civic, Fit and most other new cars right after they came out..

My 3 cents..

Bill

Few Accords on the road so far. It is wierd, compared to the numerous older ones. Maybe the good Honda customers are still frightened away by >msrp asking prices. I dunno. I still really like my '07 car. If I had to replace it, an '08 Couupe would top my list. I wanted a new CRV, but my woman has an older one and why buy a new vehicle as a winter beater when you already have one?

Critic, you're right about the manual v6, the salesman must have thought I wanted a manual V6 sedan? I have driven this car and I have grappled with the knob and other buttons on the centre stack. I would not have stated my opinion of it otherwise. I give honda credit for getting this portly car to handle and drive so well, I just don't think it really deserves the pedestal many people place it upon. Maybe the introduction of the fabled accord diesel engine would change my mind......

ekpolk- I think it's apparent to everyone reading this thread that The Critic's review is stating his personal opinion about the vehicles. Moreover- almost anything is subjective when it comes down to it- I don't even think timing belt vs. chain can be stated as an objective criteria because both have their pros and cons (chain lasts longer, but is usually noisier, etc.) Bigger engine (more powerful, but worse fuel economy).

So you are right- it all comes down to what is important to you, and I think The Critic is very clearly stating his opinion about the car in his posts. When he says "the driving position is much better than the Malibu and the Camry, the design of the dash is superior, the interior design is better, and so are the seats"- that's obviously his opinion of the vehicle. When he states the panel gaps are no worse than the competition, that is also subjective until he posts some measurements.

moving:

I disagree. I think it's important to qualify descriptions offered. "I like/don't like the seating position", is different than, "the seating position is good/bad". Whether a car has a belt or a chain is purely objective; it's one or the other (excluding exotic mechanisms). On the other hand, one's feelings about the relative merits of chains and belts is more subjective.

Don't get me wrong, Mike's input here, in this post and his others, is most appreciated. And our rules do not require any adherence to journalistic standards, but when this sort of write-up is offered, it is important to be explicit about the line between fact and opinion (not that the major automotive pubs are particularly good about this, but that's another story). Further, by challenging him on this (and I don't mean that in a bad way), I hope to increase the clarity of the discussion. Maybe this is purely his opinion (which is fine), or maybe he'll come back with something like, "the Camry has only x inches of knee room, meaning..."

I take all car reviews professional and forum posted as subjective with some biases mixed in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back