2007 Vw Rabbit 5spd gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the factory the Rabbits get full synthetic oil for this manual trans. It takes 1.9 liters of fluid. VW says this is a lifetime fill oil (say the same thing with their auto transmissions) but I have a hard time swallowing that. Any recommendations for fluid change? I'm sure if there is a magnet, it's somewhere in the trans. Would changing it every 40k miles be OK?

yes i'm a tech but this area is always in question around the dealer.

My dad has the same year Rabbit with a little over 50,000k on it and I redline it quite a bit and it's still going strong, I was told the same thing from the service department but I didn't trust the guy so I asked a tech and said it would be good to change at 80 to 100,000k or just wait till you need a new clutch and get it done then but it depends on how you drive and how much load you put on it.

I know these transmissions have issues with 3rd gear and the diff. A lot of times they shed teeth, grind 3rd, or blow the diff apart and a hole through the case. I'm not sure what is causing these failures, but I would rather try and do something about it if its lubrication related or not.

Redline or Amsoil would be great. Get the ones that are the right viscosity for you.
Changing it every 40,000 is a good idea, especially compared to a 'lifetime' .
But the factory is right - a lifetime lube always lasts until the component breaks - thus it's life is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back