2007 Mazda6, w/2.3l AT ... opinions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the 6? It can be had for approx $5k off sticker including up to a $2,250 rebate now.

It's pricing puts it closer to Corolla/Civic than Camry/Accord.

What's the MSRP?
The 2.3 is a bit of a dog. But handling definitely superior to Accord/Camry.

If it were me, I'd go for the Mazdaspeed 6. Can get about 5k off sticker right now from around 24k. This car has 270HP and beats BMW 330s in the slalom.

It depends on driving style. The 4cyl/auto is no worse then ANY other 4cyl/auto in its class.
For now, the 6 isn't as bloated as the bigger Camry/Accord/Altima competitors. Sad that Mazda is bloating it up soon(bigger/heavier/2.5L).

I also figured the 6 sales success was because it was smaller, similar to what those competitors were like a decade ago.

With dealer discounts and factory rebate pricing, Mazda's are a great buy.

Resale value is nothing to brag about. And, you need to be VERY proactive with maintenance, TSBs, and recalls.

I've heard some stories of this Ford engine catching fire but I'm sure this problem is corrected now. The 6 is really a beautiful car! If I were richer and in search of a new car, I would certainly consider this one.

Wow!
blush.gif

engine fires!

The 2.3 AT is quick enough. It certainly not a slow car. My friend has an 03 2.3 with the 4 speed and its not a slouch. The 5 speed auto is now the norm for the 2.3L.

Never heard anything about an engine fire.

Quote:

The 2.3 AT is quick enough. It certainly not a slow car. My friend has an 03 2.3 with the 4 speed and its not a slouch. The 5 speed auto is now the norm for the 2.3L.

Never heard anything about an engine fire.

Speed isn't a consideration.

I drive like a grandmaw.

sounds like you don't care about performance and are looking for reliability. Just go Accord or Camry. You can't go wrong.

Now knowing that you don't care too much about performance, the Mazda 6i that my friend has has been nothing but reliable. It's not as boring to look at or to drive like a Camry or Accord. It won't cost as much to own, insure or maintain. And at 5K off, that's a great price.

Our family owns a rental car fleet and we have some of the Value Edition models, good cars. I like them more than the Camry but I actually prefer how the Accord and Altima drive but the Mazda6 is no doubt the best looking inside and out.

My 2.3L has been good for me, but I only have 30K on it so far. I haven't heard of any major problems with that car or drivetrain, and I haven't heard of any engine fires. BTW, this engine is a Mazda-designed engine (MZR-L3). Ford dropped their Zetec engines in 2004 to use variants of this Mazda engine. For a 4-cylinder, it likes to rev and goes pretty smoothly to 7100 rpm. I looked at the 6 with a 2.3L when I was shopping but I preferred the 3. I'd also stick with the 2.3L if I were getting that car; much cheaper than the bigger engines and uses 20% less fuel than the 3.0L and 25% less than the turbo 2.3L. If I specifically wanted a mid-size car, I'd have to go for another test drive to determine whether to get the Mazda6 or the Accord. The Altima and Camry were a little too floaty and isolating for my tastes.

If it were even, the Accord or the Camry might be the easy winner, but at $16,990 the 6 is easly $2 to $3k less than the competition similary equipped.

As previously stated the 6 price is more in line with the Civic/Corolla.

Quote:

If it were even, the Accord or the Camry might be the easy winner, but at $16,990 the 6 is easly $2 to $3k less than the competition similary equipped.

As previously stated the 6 price is more in line with the Civic/Corolla.

Yes, but the 6 is also smaller than the Accord/Camry so in terms of practicality, it is also closer to Civic/Corolla. If you don't need the space, then just get the Civic/Corolla and save even more $$$$

Quote:

My 2.3L has been good for me, but I only have 30K on it so far. I haven't heard of any major problems with that car or drivetrain, and I haven't heard of any engine fires. BTW, this engine is a Mazda-designed engine (MZR-L3). Ford dropped their Zetec engines in 2004 to use variants of this Mazda engine. For a 4-cylinder, it likes to rev and goes pretty smoothly to 7100 rpm. I looked at the 6 with a 2.3L when I was shopping but I preferred the 3. I'd also stick with the 2.3L if I were getting that car; much cheaper than the bigger engines and uses 20% less fuel than the 3.0L and 25% less than the turbo 2.3L. If I specifically wanted a mid-size car, I'd have to go for another test drive to determine whether to get the Mazda6 or the Accord. The Altima and Camry were a little too floaty and isolating for my tastes.

Thank you. Finally some CORRECT information.

You probably know that this car has a cartridge oil filter with a plastic housing (prone to cracks when overtightened).

The answer, of course, is not to overtighten during filter replacement but it might be worthwhile to keep an extra "just in case".

Enjoy that car, much more fun to drive than my Camry!

Another 6i owner here. I have a 2006 model with an ATX. Great, very reliable car. I get 33-34mpg on hwy trips and about 28-29mpg in town. It has plenty of pep, though I still regret not getting the MTX.

The mazda MZR 2.3L is a very torquey little engine. Plenty of pep. It was by far a better car in every aspect than the camry and accords I looked at. The Mazda3 is more of a civic equivalent than the Mazda6.

There have been many recent reliability and quality studies out recently that have put Mazda in elite company. I wouldnt worry about that at all. I have 25k on my 6i right now with no trips to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back