2007 Lexus RX400H: 284k, $1k gamble

Back story: Being in the repair business, I occasionally have the ability to buy cars that customers no longer feel are worth repairing. I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence, as most of those vehicles really ARE past their usable life, however there are times when the stars align and I find a diamond in the rough.

Currently, my roommate is limping along a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that's pushing 200k+ miles and it shows. The trans hasn't had reverse in years, the dash is lit up like Christmas, the AC compressor recently smoked it's clutch, and the front suspension makes the kind of noise you'd expect to hear from a senior citizen trying to get out of bed in time to catch The Price is Right. She's also going through chemo to fight cervical cancer and desperately needs a car that can at the very least allow her to park in a regular space without having to worry about whether she can pull back out when she returns.

After months of having no luck, said Lexus came in to my shop a couple months ago for a general check over. At 284k, it was tired. Used up? Not at all. But tired. That being said, it was obvious that it had not only been well cared for but by all appearances was a highway queen. The interior shows the type of wear I'd expect to see in a 100-150k mile truck, not something with double that. It had a few battle scars on the exterior, needed a couple tires, and the (likely original) struts were showing their age, but overall it showed promise. The customer declined the repairs, but I left a note for my service writer to ask the owner if he was interested in selling.

A couple weeks went by and I didn't hear back, so I forgot all about it. Then, one afternoon, I was told I had a phone call. Low and behold, it was Lexus guy. He was interested in selling, however he wanted (what I felt) was an unreasonable $2,300. After weighing the options and knowing I could spruce it up for about $500, I recommended my roomie take the leap and purchase it regardless. Everything was set, until the customer called and said he couldn't find the title... of course. I told him we were happy to wait for a duplicate, which he applied for.

Fast forward a month, and I get a call. The customer tells me that the title came in, however while the truck was sitting in front of his house the cat con was stolen. Normally, this would be a deal breaker. For someone like me, it was the perfect bargaining chip. I just went and inspected things today, and I'll easily be able to replace the cat with a piece of pipe and a couple welds. There's no emission testing here in MN, so no issue (other than moral). I offered the seller $1k given the circumstances which he immediately accepted.

To sum up: it's a 280k mile Lexus hybrid SUV, in fair condition, needing ~$500 in parts and elbow grease for $1k. Even if my roommate gets 2 years out of it, I see it as a win. It is a Toyota, after all! Taking everything into consideration, I think we all did fairly well. What say the great BITOG minds? Am I nuts?

Hey 14, Good value for your roomy. Heck given market prices it may increase in value in 2 years. I am watching the used parts market go crazy. I am hearing that even some body shops are turning to the auto dismantlers to procure used glass since they cannot get new in this market. It would be interesting to look up how many of that model Lexus imported into the U.S. and then see what local yard inventory is near you that you could pick from if you have to.

Less than what I paid for Project xB, for nicer vehicle
Go for it
3MZ gang ❤️
Is this one AWD?
Run the VIN, make sure all recalls were done
If you feel the need to be proper, aftermarket converters are available in the $230 range

Less than what I paid for Project xB, for nicer vehicle
Go for it
3MZ gang ❤️
Is this one AWD?
Run the VIN, make sure all recalls were done
If you feel the need to be proper, aftermarket converters are available in the $230 range

I do believe it's AWD. I don't remember the exact details, but I know it's got a sunroof (possibly standard), does NOT have factory nav, and does not have the Mark Levinson audio system. None of which my roomie cares about. AWD would be great, of course, however her Pacifica isn't AWD either and she gets by just fine in our MN winters.

Sounds like a good deal....OT..but I'm curious...how much are these used cat-cons worth that they are being stolen so much?

Excellent deal. If you're welding the exhaust, another option is to find a cheap universal catalytic converter -- it would be more professional than straight pipe.
It's not even that expensive on rockauto it's about $230. Sounds like OP got a $1300 discount for a missing cat, doesn't sound like it's going to cost him that much to get it fixed.

For those that mentioned fixing it properly: if I lived in a state where it was an issue, the Walker option would definitely be my choice. However, given our lack of inspections combined with the age of the truck I'm more than happy to pick up a 12" section of pipe and patch up the damage. There's absolutely no incentive to fix it "properly".

That, combined with the fact that the main cat's are located in the exhaust manifolds themselves which makes the stolen cat somewhat redundant allows me to rest easy knowing that the emissions system is still working mostly to capacity.

I have a brother who is the original owner of a 2007 Altima hybrid (Toyota drivetrain back then) and is still driving it around with the original drive battery. I told him that when the drive battery dies it will set off a very loud alarm in the vehicle that is sooooooooo loud he will have to pull over and get out. That is how they are designed. Toyota does NOT want it driven with a bad drive battery. The RX400H is probably the same way. After 15 years and 284K miles that battery could die now or several years form not. No one knows. But when it does it owes nothing to anyone having served that long. As for the fix, replacing a bad cell or even a few once might be worth it but after it fails a second time it probably would not be worth it because then you can expect all the cells to soon be failing.

This is a great find as long as the HV battery works. The cost of the Highlander/RX HV batteries is astounding!

AFAIK, the hybrid battery is fine. There's no warnings on the dash that would indicate any kind of issue.

Even if it ends up needing a HV battery, it looks like reman packs go for about $1,800. I can easily replace the pack myself so the labor would be free. Still ends up being a net positive.

For those that mentioned fixing it properly: if I lived in a state where it was an issue, the Walker option would definitely be my choice. However, given our lack of inspections combined with the age of the truck I'm more than happy to pick up a 12" section of pipe and patch up the damage. There's absolutely no incentive to fix it "properly".

That, combined with the fact that the main cat's are located in the exhaust manifolds themselves which makes the stolen cat somewhat redundant allows me to rest easy knowing that the emissions system is still working mostly to capacity.
What about the oxygen sensors? Isn't there one after the cats and if you put a pipe there, it might throw a code.

Anyway it's nice if other people can breathe, I was behind one guy today with a fart can and he was basically spewing raw exhaust.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What about the oxygen sensors? Isn't there one after the cats and if you put a pipe there, it might throw a code.

Anyway it's nice if other people can breathe, I was behind one guy today with a fart can and he was basically spewing raw exhaust.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I appreciate your response. To answer your question: only the main cats (integral to the manifolds) are monitored by the downstream O2 sensors as they do 99% of the work. The stolen cat is simply there to perform a light clean up of the remaining HC's. It's not monitored by the PCM and has no O2's watching it that could set a code.

I appreciate your response. To answer your question: only the main cats (integral to the manifolds) are monitored by the downstream O2 sensors as they do 99% of the work. The stolen cat is simply there to perform a light clean up of the remaining HC's. It's not monitored by the PCM and has no O2's watching it that could set a code.

Yeah, no reason to replace that. I'd straight pipe it as well.

So it'll just sound like a dump truck going down the road?

Back