2007 Honda Accord V6 Maintenance Minder Question

Hello, been lurking and learning lots here over the years, have a question for the members here. On the '07 V6 6MT Accord (J30), is the maintenance minder regarding oil life simply mileage driven, or is there an actual viscosity sensor? My '06 TSX with a K24A2 had a viscosity sensor, and reflected so with the intervals between oil changes. This Accord, not so much. Last oil change I used Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N filter. Don't recall if it was High Mileage or not, my Accord currently has 130,xxx on it, K&N filter choice was made by Amazon for me, I believe it was $5 - $7 with S&S. My next change I have on deck, same combination but this jug is Platinum High Mileage and another K&N, this time due to Advance Auto having a deal, buy the oil for $37 get the filter for $3. Worked out to the same price as Amazon and Walmart. Anyway, does anyone know definitively if there is a viscosity sensor or if it's just a mile counter? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Neither, really. Honda's Maintenance Minder uses a program that predicts oil life/degredation based on a number of factors... (based in miles driven, plus info that the car is able to ascertain about those miles - were there lots of cold starts? was it mostly short trip driving? was it all highway driving? was it high load (towing/aggressive driving)?)

If I had to guess, it's the same type of system your 2006 TSX had (I believe those used Honda's typical system and didn't have a viscosity sensor - this system is far more common than sensors that actually monitor the oil).

It's a pretty sophisticated system similar to what GM uses (and has used for a while). Essentially, the car uses a penalty factor that counts down faster when operated in non-optimal conditions (i.e., if you short-tripped in winter, you might get the reminder light at 3-4k, but if you drove highway exclusively, you may make it 2-3 times that long before the light is triggered).

The upshot is that the system uses far more data than is present when changing by mileage alone (in contrast, our Toyotas trigger the light at 5k miles, and use no logic, as Hondas do, to determine the maintenance interval).

A quick search of your '06's manual says that it uses what seems to amount to the same system (the computer determining oil life) and doesn't seem to have any sort of viscosity sensor. I'd bet it's essentially the same as the '07 Accord.

Thanks TmanP, that makes a lot of sense. The TSX I did a 80iah mile RT commute with, now I work locally so it's more like a 20 mile RT. 2x a week from a few weeks ago I do a 50-60 RT to an appointment for my wife, aside from that latter RT, being that it's winter I'm laid off, so sometimes my car will sit for 3 days, or just make short trips to the store, post office, etc. Interestly enough, I was told by a Honda "expert" that there was indeed a viscosity sensor in the K24A2 variant as it is the highest performance K24. I guess being a rockstar race car builder doesn't make one an expert in all things Honda. Was believable though, I've known him for decades, his builds have been in magazines, etc. Anyway, apparently I can find the experts regarding lubrication right here. Thanks again, one small question, do you happen to know if the logic was programmed for synthetic years ago, or conventional, maybe not even taken into account? I'm at 10% life remaining, haven't even gone 3000 miles since last change. Just below it, but not 3k, not 6 months. Close, but nope, not yet.

Ehh, not sure about all that. They can say that it is 'intelligent' but my 08 TL gets changed at 5000 miles and the OLM has ALWAYS been 40%. There wasn't any difference from when I daily drove it, to the last 2 years when it took almost 24 months to go 5000 miles. If it takes fuel usage, cold starts, short trips, etc into account, it does so in a pretty dim-witted way that is pretty much unintelligible from just a simple mile counter.

And I've tracked every oil change on the TL since I bought it at around 110k, and it has always been the same, 5000 miles is 40%.

As far as type of oil, they are generally set for the lowest common denominator oil meeting the given specs set out by the manufacturer (i.e., probably a basic 5w20 meeting API specs at the time the car was built). Ostensibly, newer/higher-spec oils could last longer in use, but that's not baked into the maintenance minder spec. That is, Honda likely designed the system to trip when a standard, mineral (conventional) 5w20, available at the time the car was built, was "used up/worn out" (plus likely a margin of error of some kind).

So, theoretically, I can use the MM as a rough guide since I use strictly full synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum or Platinum Plus exclusively is what I'm getting. Thinking that a change in March just before my layoff ends April 1st will be sufficient, then another in September as it will be 6 months for the winter abuse my poor car gets. Maybe 0% + a few K, or 6 months whichever comes first? In case my situation work wise changes. Seem logical, or am I missing something right in front of me?

Ehh, not sure about all that. They can say that it is 'intelligent' but my 08 TL gets changed at 5000 miles and the OLM has ALWAYS been 40%. There wasn't any difference from when I daily drove it, to the last 2 years when it took almost 24 months to go 5000 miles. If it takes fuel usage, cold starts, short trips, etc into account, it does so in a pretty dim-witted way that is pretty much unintelligible from just a simple mile counter.

And I've tracked every oil change on the TL since I bought it at around 110k, and it has always been the same, 5000 miles is 40%.
That TL is a J32 right? Strange how your experience with it differs so much from mine, we have basically the same engine just you have .2 liter on my J30 and a better flowing intake manifold.

That TL is a J32 right? Strange how your experience with it differs so much from mine, we have basically the same engine just you have .2 liter on my J30 and a better flowing intake manifold.
J35A8, it's the Type-S motor 3.5L. Still basically the same thing, just punched out and hotter cams.

Also, FWIW, don't overthink the oil change regimen. non-VCM J-Series motors are not hard on oil in any way, and will use just about anything within reason and live long lives.

I need to update my signature for the 03 Accord, it is on the downhill run to 300k, and still runs like a top. Uses about a quart in 5k, but that is well within what I would consider 'ok' for that mileage. It as had everything from 0W20 to 10W30 and everything in between. It lives on 5W30 these days since that's what the Ranger takes and I prefer to only keep one oil on hand to cover everything if possible.

Last edited:
Nice! 2 days before getting my 6 6 I got ghosted on a 6spd Type S with the waffle wheels in that sweet blue, I don't think it was Super Sonic blue, but I'm sure you know the color I'm referring to. Sorry, forgot that the J32 was the previous gen. Gotta grab an intake manifold from a scrapyard Odyssey or the other model that has the J35, can't recall right now as I'm new to the J series, love the Ks and H22 and that's what I know. For now at least.

Kinetic Blue Pearl.... like so:

Mine is an A5 though since when I bought it I was doing a lot of commuting and didn't feel like doing the M6 thing. Still, it has been a really fun car for a big(ish) GT type car. It gets to run in the mountains every now and then these days. It is currently back in DD mode since the kid mashed bambi with her Compass and it is in the shop.

The non-typeS TL had the 3.2, quite a few more of those out there. There's the RL that used the 3.5 as well, but those are probably rarer than the TypeS was. Just wasn't a big seller.

IMG_20221008_142552334_HDR.jpg

I have noticed that even getting into VTEC somewhat often, this engine uses no oil, big difference from the high performance 4 cyl DOHCs. H22 between changes used about 2 quarts or more after I fixed the leaks, and the K24A2 would use 1, maybe 1.5 between changes. You're right, I do overthink it, this is my first Honda V6, I've always had 4 bangers that had a thirst for oil, even the single jingle F2x that was in my 2000 Accord coupe. I gotta relax lol

I have noticed that even getting into VTEC somewhat often, this engine uses no oil, big difference from the high performance 4 cyl DOHCs. H22 between changes used about 2 quarts or more after I fixed the leaks, and the K24A2 would use 1, maybe 1.5 between changes. You're right, I do overthink it, this is my first Honda V6, I've always had 4 bangers that had a thirst for oil, even the single jingle F2x that was in my 2000 Accord coupe. I gotta relax lol
Really, the only engine things you'll have to watch out for, and none of them are going to blow up the motor, is the oil pump area and vtech seals. They're usually pretty drippy when they hit over 150k and you've got to take all the timing gear out to replace them, so I usually recommend that when the second timing belt change comes around near 200k that you go ahead and pull the oil pump and pan off and do all those seals at that time. That and have the valve clearance checked if you're over 100k, at least once and then you can probably forget it for another 150k. Both of my motors were tight on the exhausts. Not 'burn a valve' tight, but I wouldn't have wanted them to go more than 200k before checking it.

Kinetic Blue Pearl.... like so:

Mine is an A5 though since when I bought it I was doing a lot of commuting and didn't feel like doing the M6 thing. Still, it has been a really fun car for a big(ish) GT type car. It gets to run in the mountains every now and then these days. It is currently back in DD mode since the kid mashed bambi with her Compass and it is in the shop.

View attachment 128864
You S.O.B lol 😂. Goddammit I wanna msg the guy again and scream at him some more, BUT, I'm one of those everything happens for a reason guys that believes in karma, so you may hate that train of thought or not, but I firmly believe I drove to just outside The Bronx with a pocket full of cash only to call my GF for her advice and GTFO for a reason. Very popular there to use FB and Craigslist for robberies and carjackings, likely both really.

Appreciate the advice! I was also going to do a compression leakdown test too, a V6 timing belt is pretty intimidating to me, not like a D15 lol. So I'll wind up paying, neighbor has a 2012 V6 and just did the belt, serp belt, water pump, tensioner, etc, bill was cheaper than the dealer, but at the only trustworthy place besides a dealer around here it was still about $2400.

So, theoretically, I can use the MM as a rough guide since I use strictly full synthetic
When the MM tells you it's time to change the oil, since you're using synthetic, no, you're not necessarily "due" to change it. If it's winter and you don't have a heated garage and it's going to be 1500 miles before you can change it, I wouldn't hesitate. How many miles or time can you keep going ? No one can say.

They can say that it is 'intelligent' but my 08 TL gets changed at 5000 miles and the OLM has ALWAYS been 40%. There wasn't any difference from when I daily drove it, to the last 2 years when it took almost 24 months to go 5000 miles.
I've seen other people say similar things but I've also seen others (my own experience as well with an '05 Odyssey which was very early with Honda's MM system) and it triggered (15%) anywhere from 5500 miles up to 7500 miles. Our driving was fairly consistent, with some exceptions of course.

I have an Odyssey with the J35 and IMO they are kind of tough on oil. Usually see a lot of varnish on one of the heads when you do a valve adjustment. And if you have VCM going, things are a lot worse.

Don't know about the Accord, but following the MM on an Odyssey with synthetic oil is -- in my opinion -- marginal at best.

So, theoretically, I can use the MM as a rough guide since I use strictly full synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum or Platinum Plus exclusively is what I'm getting. Thinking that a change in March just before my layoff ends April 1st will be sufficient, then another in September as it will be 6 months for the winter abuse my poor car gets. Maybe 0% + a few K, or 6 months whichever comes first? In case my situation work wise changes. Seem logical, or am I missing something right in front of me?
The Pennzoil Platinum you are using is a higher-spec oil than what was originally specced for your '07 Accord. I have an '07 k24 and use Mobil 1. I think of the higher-spec oil as giving an extra margin, rather than using it to go past the OLM. For my k24, oil changes are usually at 6000 miles, with 15% to 20% remaining on the monitor. I have changed the oil earlier than 6000 miles a couple of times, when the monitor was down to 10%. I wouldn't be comfortable ignoring the OLM, even with today's oils (just me).

I have an Odyssey with the J35 and IMO they are kind of tough on oil. Usually see a lot of varnish on one of the heads when you do a valve adjustment. And if you have VCM going, things are a lot worse.

Don't know about the Accord, but following the MM on an Odyssey with synthetic oil is -- in my opinion -- marginal at best.
His doesn't have VCM. You do have to keep up with changing the PCV, but the non-VCM motors are much easier on the oil.

Back