2007 GM L92 6.2 Escalade Recommendations

I've recently bought a 2007 Cadillac Escalade with the 6.2 L92 V8. It only has around 60,000 miles and runs very quietly, but since changing the oil to Valvoline SynPower 5W30 I'm conscious that it has some piston slap until it's warmed up.

I'd totally forgotten this, but I actually moved away from this oil in my 4.0 Jeeps a few years ago as I noticed it seemed noisier, but didn't understand what the noise was back then.

It was definitely quieter with the previous oil, but of course I don't know what that was! I'm looking for any recommendations - are there any oils that in your experience will quieten the piston slap noise when cold?

All I can say is my Yukon Denali with the same engine likes this oil and additive combo. 158k miles, lots of towing 8k lb boat/trailer. Plus 1qt mobil 1 5w-50. I had the same noise when I bought it around 78k, I did the whole kreen thing and it helped.

Attachments

• 20211023_010959.jpg
    20211023_010959.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211023_010929.jpg
    20211023_010929.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 115
Thanks both! I'd wondered about Mobil1, as I'm pretty sure it's hard to go wrong. I normally get on really well with Valvoline, just not this particular 5W30.
I've never really used additives or flushes before, but will read up on them some more.

I did use a different filter - it previously had an ACDelco PF48 on there, but I moved to an ACDelco UPF48R, which according to RockAuto is a high performance/HD option.

I had the first gen Escalade ext w the 6.0L engine. I used mostly regular supertech oil filters w old version of magnatec and PYB 10/5w30. Zero noise. I recommend trying the regular OCI type oil filters and see if it’s better.

Thanks both for the thoughts.

Can I ask - what is an OCI filter?
I'm open to trying the previous type of filter, but I can't quite see how the new (supposedly better) filter is causing more piston slap.

I should clarify a bit more that it's definitely a piston slap sound. There's never any rattle on startup or any other unpleasant noises (like I've had in the pat with bad oil filters), plus it's silky smooth and quiet when up to temperature!

Thanks both for the thoughts.

Can I ask - what is an OCI filter?
I'm open to trying the previous type of filter, but I can't quite see how the new (supposedly better) filter is causing more piston slap.

I should clarify a bit more that it's definitely a piston slap sound. There's never any rattle on startup or any other unpleasant noises (like I've had in the pat with bad oil filters), plus it's silky smooth and quiet when up to temperature!
I can only guess that oil pressure is being affected by the different filter, and stories abound with reports of different filters causing issues.

Having said that there is one other thing to check. LS engines are notorious for breaking exhaust manifold bolts causing minute leakage that sounds like ticking. May I suggest you look at all the bolts holding the exhaust manifold on and report back. I realize that it doesn’t coincide with the timing of your observations but it may be contributing to the overall noise.

Back