2007 Eclipse GT 3.8L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend from work needed a new car and showed up the next day with a 2007 Eclipse GT. Odd choice since she was originally shopping for more of a crossover/AWD type of vehicle. I don't know many people with these cars, especially here on the forum. How are they?

I wouldn't touch one. Honestly I don't know anything about them, other than I've generally heard pretty horrible reliability stories for mitsubishis.

Lol. I only had experience with one, a 95 Galant 5-speed. My buddy still drives the thing. Super base model (crank windows, no AC). I have to say, the thing won't die and it gets 8k dino oil changes and that's it as far as maintence is concerned. Clutch is original with 180k and while it feels like it lived a long life, I'd say it will keep on trucking.

Best 800 bucks I spent, and probably the best 400 he spent buying the thing off me. Fun motor for cheap little base sedan.

But I really don't know how the mid 90's Mitsubishi compares to today's Mitsubishi.

Last edited:
My wife still speaks fondly of her 3rd gen Eclipse GT.

I honestly don't know why. It made less horsepower than most V6 4-door sedans from the time and weighed quite nearly as much.

It's essentially a coupe version of the Galant.

Enter the next generation Eclipse. Still built on the North American Galant chassis. Still heavy. Bigger engine now but Mitsubishi still hasn't fixed the throttle tip-in. It's lurchy off the line.

Honestly, I think I would rather have an Accord or Altima coupe

It should be the V6 engine,that engine dates back to 1987 and the Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager....it was a SOHC 3.0 back then,good solid engine,had a appetite for oil (both burning and leaking),but I believe that problem is all behind now.I have had 2 Mitsus,and dont have any particular gripes against them.I just hate that they turned their backs to the econo-box/small coupe market 10 years ago (02 mirage) and now they are paying the price for it.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
The '07 Mitsubishi Eclipse has a better than average repair record.

Adding in all costs (including depreciation), Intellichoice rates it as "below average".

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
...I just hate that they turned their backs to the econo-box/small coupe market 10 years ago (02 mirage) and now they are paying the price for it.

I think Mitsubishi may have lost a big part of the segment when Chrysler introduced the Neon. The Colts were no longer necessary at Dodge and Chrysler/Plymouth dealers.
I don't know that they turned their back on the segment. They haven't really tried though. Beyond the Evo and the Ralliart variant, the Lancer is a pretty forgettable sedan.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I wouldn't touch one. Honestly I don't know anything about them, other than I've generally heard pretty horrible reliability stories for mitsubishis.

I'm at 225,700 on my Galant V6. Pretty much a 4-door Eclipse and it runs strong, original engine and transmission. Reliability? It's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back