2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - leaking radiator - Spectra brand OK?

The title pretty much says it - the rad has developed a significant leak, and because we only run the one vehicle, I plan to replace the rad rather than remove it for repair.

My (typically) lowest-cost parts store can bring in a Spectra rad for $280 + 12% sales taxes.

I can get a Denso from RA for c. $200 delivered, taxes in.

My preference for buying something here is let me do the repair ASAP.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Spectra radiators have been just as good as the others but one thing to never run made by Spectra is a fuel pump. Given that if I was given the choice I would choose the Denso or even a TYC brand.

Thanks all! I went with the Spectra - $280, and taxes pushed it to about $320. I would have preferred the Denso, but also want to get the repair done ASAP. Also considered taking the old one to a local rad shop, but that would have involved carrying it in a bike trailer across town, plus extended downtime. Basically, I had yesterday to get it done.

Also considered the possibility of the leak getting a lot worse quickly, and stranding my wife somewhere while waiting for the Denso to come in.

Anyway, the difference in cost between RA and local (c. $120) started to look insignificant compared to the potential downsides.

The job went well.

Roomy engine bay with the rad and fan housing out:
20240423_114151_HDR.jpg

These connectors, for the fan motors, are sometimes challenging, but they came apart OK:
20240423_114202_HDR.jpg

Old and new:
20240423_120229~2.jpg

Pulled one plug while in there. This is an NGK Iridium. Gap spec is 0.050". My wire gauge only goes up to 0.045", so I can't be sure what the gap is now.

It appeared to be a bit wide, but not excessively so (55 thou?). Should there be an iridium pad on the ground electrode? If so, it has either worn away or broken off. Only c. 50K km (30K miles) on the plugs.

Engine runs well, with no misfire codes.

Change out the plugs? If so, platinum, iridium, or ruthenium?
20240423_115203~2.jpg

If you put those back in, clean em up first!
Just pulled the one for now. Did a bit of research - the factory specs 0.050", and the NGK Iridium plugs come gapped at 0.052", so the gap is probably good.

What looked like wear on the ground electrode (or possibly a missing precious-metal tab) is actually how the plug looks when new, so I'm inclined to leave them alone for another year or so.

Thanks all! I went with the Spectra - $280, and taxes pushed it to about $320. I would have preferred the Denso, but also want to get the repair done ASAP. Also considered taking the old one to a local rad shop, but that would have involved carrying it in a bike trailer across town, plus extended downtime. Basically, I had yesterday to get it done.

Also considered the possibility of the leak getting a lot worse quickly, and stranding my wife somewhere while waiting for the Denso to come in.

Anyway, the difference in cost between RA and local (c. $120) started to look insignificant compared to the potential downsides.

The job went well.

Roomy engine bay with the rad and fan housing out:
View attachment 215835

These connectors, for the fan motors, are sometimes challenging, but they came apart OK:
View attachment 215836

Old and new:
View attachment 215837

Pulled one plug while in there. This is an NGK Iridium. Gap spec is 0.050". My wire gauge only goes up to 0.045", so I can't be sure what the gap is now.

It appeared to be a bit wide, but not excessively so (55 thou?). Should there be an iridium pad on the ground electrode? If so, it has either worn away or broken off. Only c. 50K km (30K miles) on the plugs.

Engine runs well, with no misfire codes.

Change out the plugs? If so, platinum, iridium, or ruthenium?
View attachment 215838
You're killing me. If you're going to do this type of work you can afford a gap gauge or set of feelers that exceeds .045"

Even the little tapered discs they keep at the FLAPS checkout as an impulse buy are good enough

You're killing me. If you're going to do this type of work you can afford a gap gauge or set of feelers that exceeds .045"

Even the little tapered discs they keep at the FLAPS checkout as an impulse buy are good enough
Guilty as charged! I have the disc with the ramped edge, but am told they can damage fine-electrode plugs.

I guess it's a sign of the wire gauge's age (and mine) that it maxes out at 45 thou.

Back