2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - Coolant Confusion

Hello all - We've recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 l, and I'm changing out all the fluids.

The OM calls Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 5-year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT or equivalent. @slacktide_bitog recommended Zerex G-05 or equivalent, but I'm having trouble finding it locally. It's available through Walmart.ca, but with a huge shipping fee.

I'm leaning toward the OEM brand of coolants, because they're readily available at Canadian Tire and PartSource.

Here's OEM's online coolant selector tool:

https://oemantifreeze.ca/easymatch-oem/

Plug in a 2007 DGC, and up comes the recommendation of their Orange II.

https://oemantifreeze.ca/oem-orange-ii/

I'm trusting this is a good HOAT coolant; it says it meets the Chrysler MS7170 and MS9769 specs.

Thoughts from the BITOG coolant experts?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all - We've recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 l, and I'm changing out all the fluids.

The OM calls Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 5-year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT or equivalent. @slacktide_bitog recommended Zerex G-05 or equivalent, but I'm having trouble finding it locally. It's available through Walmart.ca, but with a huge shipping fee.

I'm leaning toward the OEM brand of coolants, because they're readily available at Canadian Tire and PartSource.

Here's OEM's online coolant selector tool:

https://oemantifreeze.ca/easymatch-oem/

Plug in a 2007 DGC, and up comes the recommendation of their Orange II.

https://oemantifreeze.ca/oem-orange-ii/

I'm trusting this is a good HOAT coolant; it says it meets the Chrysler MS7170 and MS9769 specs.

Thoughts from the BITOG coolant experts?

Thanks in advance!

Recochem makes good stuff :)

Also, in Canada, they supply Napa's house brand coolant.

Recochem's Canadian lineup seems to be different than what they sell down here :unsure:
For example, that Orange II for your car isn't offered here; they say to use Gold in the US. On the flip side, Asian Green is offered in the US but not Canada (instead, you get Blue I and II)

Reactions: JC1
Here in the US, the Zerex G-05 can be ordered at any NAPA. Not sure if that's the case in Canada, but something to check into, anyway.

The OEM brand system of labeling their coolants is confusing as both Gold and Orange II meet MS9769 (Chrysler's HOAT spec), but they recommend Orange II since it matches the factory Chrysler HOAT colour better. You can also find G-05 at Napa in Canada for $15.59 for the premixed version.

The OEM brand system of labeling their coolants is confusing as both Gold and Orange II meet MS9769 (Chrysler's HOAT spec), but they recommend Orange II since it matches the factory Chrysler HOAT colour better. You can also find G-05 at Napa in Canada for $15.59 for the premixed version.
I visited my local NAPA earlier this afternoon. They had no Zerex out at all. There was an array house-branded coolant, similar to the OEM lineup (which is consistent with what @slacktide_bitog said above).

I was confused by both their Gold and Orange jugs of coolant being labelled as for Chrysler products, and so waited to talk to a counter person for clarification. No one appeared. I called out a couple of times, and finally walked out after about 5 minutes. Frustrating! Thus the decision to go with CT/PartSource instead.

Here in Virginia where I am all the parts stores sell Zerex because I have had to get special coolants before and just went to Advance Auto and Auto Zone and O’Reilly and got them and at Napa they tried to sell me their house brand no thanks.

I would be very leery of something that claims to meet both MS-7170 and MS-9769 because they are both very very different coolants. MS7170 is an IAT conventional american green. MS9769 is the extended life HOAT.

I would be very leery of something that claims to meet both MS-7170 and MS-9769 because they are both very very different coolants. MS7170 is an IAT conventional american green. MS9769 is the extended life HOAT.
Yikes, I'm just back from buying the OEM Orange II - will have to do more research before using it! Thanks!

An IAT and HOAT are not that different, as a HOAT is an hybrid of an IAT and an OAT. MS-7170 and 9769 are mainly performance specs, and MS-7170 is a very old first gen spec that is easy to meet for a modern coolant. A lot of the modern IAT's that you can still buy are much closer to being an HOAT.

Back