2007 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i own a 2007 civic si and its got 135,000 miles. its been burning a lot of oil. currently im running castrol syntec 5w30 and i probably go throw a quart every couple weeks. ive heard the k20 burns a little oil but i think its a little absurd to be burning this much oil. is there an additive i can use or a different oil that will burn less? i want to reduce my oil consumption.

I would try a high-mileage oil if I was you. Also, I wouldn't step up a grade either (i.e. xw-40 oil). The thicker oil at operating temps may or may not adversely affect VTEC operation. If you insist on still using a synthetic, then M1 5w-30 HM would be a good option, or MaxLife full syn.

Some on this board have also reported that MoS2 has been helpful in reducing oil burn-off. Of course this all depends on the motor, and how exactly the oil is being burned (seeping past rings, or valve guides, etc).

Thanks dude all good info! I was actually thinking about 10w30 and people were telling me it's okay because I'm in SoCal but I'm like ehh. I was also thinking about castrol gtx hm but I wasnted sure what viscosity. I'd prefer a synthetic but I don't want it to burn. I'm running around in circles right now:/
What's mos2?

How often are you in VTEC?
It will burn more when you are hitting VTEC a lot.
I would just experiment with oils and go from there. I like the suggestion of something like Maxlife or M1 high mileage.

If you're consuming 500 miles/qt you've got an engine problem.
How long have you owned the car and do you know how long it's been burning oil at his rate?
Have you changed the PCV valve recently?
Is the engine power fine? Have you done a compression test?
If the compression is fine it could be clogged oil control rings and/or worn valve guide seals.
The fast solution for clogged rings is a solvent soak with a product like Kreen poured through the spark plug holes.
If it's guides seals, replace the seals.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
How often are you in VTEC?
It will burn more when you are hitting VTEC a lot.
I would just experiment with oils and go from there. I like the suggestion of something like Maxlife or M1 high mileage.

Im in and out of VTEC maybe a couple times a week, usually. My commute doesn't really allow for it too much.

Originally Posted By: Ren_Nagata
currently im running castrol syntec 5w30 and i probably go throw a quart every couple weeks.

Is it the first oil change with Syntec?

Originally Posted By: jorton
currently im running castrol syntec 5w30 and i probably go throw a quart every couple weeks.

Is it the first oil change with Syntec?

yeah

is it safe running that weight?

Absolutely.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I would try a high-mileage oil if I was you. Also, I wouldn't step up a grade either (i.e. xw-40 oil). The thicker oil at operating temps may or may not adversely affect VTEC operation. If you insist on still using a synthetic, then M1 5w-30 HM would be a good option, or MaxLife full syn.

Some on this board have also reported that MoS2 has been helpful in reducing oil burn-off. Of course this all depends on the motor, and how exactly the oil is being burned (seeping past rings, or valve guides, etc).

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back