2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure, Castrol GTX 20w-50

Funny but I tend to get tired of stuff over time, still dont know what I would replace the RK with. Sure there are bikes I would love to have and try out, at the same time, there is my significant other (wife) who loves riding with me and loves the RK. Its not only that but limited service for some other brands in my area and my desire to keep things simple on a bike (not too many electronics, I have enough in my life) keep me with this bike.
Only thing I can think of is a newer one but ... ahhh ... priorities and the question of would it be better?
Some may have a couple bikes, that maybe the answer for them but wouldn't work for me.
(nice truck, the Tacoma)
Alarmguy, I once had a 2000 Electraglide and a BMW 1500 cruiser. I can't remember model name but it was the in line 1500cc engine with all that body cladding. It was super smooth, comfortable and quiet. It had a high center of gravity so wasn't good slow speed or on the curves. At the time, I lived in northern Va. and the nearest dealer was an hour and a half away. At the end of a summer, I realized that when I wanted to ride, without thinking I got on the Harley. I had only ridden the BMW a couple of times. When you ride one it seems perfect but it has no "soul" or charisma. It didn't put a smile on my face like the Harley did. I sold it.
The other thing I will tell you(trying to save you some money here) is that working on them is awful. I changed the oil once. You are supposed to take half the body cladding off but I didn't. I drained the oil and found that the spin on filter is in the crankcase submerged in the oil. Try taking off a spin on filter that has been immersed in oil. You take out the drain plug, drain the oil, then take off a plate and the oil filter is up inside the engine. PITA
Where are you in SC? We just spent a week in Aiken and may move there. Maybe we can ride someday. Have you ridden the Devils Backbone in Tazewell, Va.? I plan on doing it this fall.

Wow, was great hearing from some BMW people. Not seriously looking for one, though, we know with bikes, sometimes you just seem to be in the right place at the right time and ... well, all of a sudden you got a new bike. (more on that in a minute) *L*
I have heard of the "Backbone" someplace, not sure if it was here OR possibly in the "press" as the "other Tail of the Dragon" (Im pretty sure it was an article)
Yeah, someday in my future life, would like to meet on with some people on a ride, not quite there yet, work ect. I am fortunate, I call myself semi-retired. But still have to be there 25 hours a week/great benefits package with PTO/Hollidays so I may still be there for some time. I "retired from my security business, all in all life has been good to me.

Anyway! talking about bike rides, Im getting the bike ready, Heading to the Smoky Mountains in a few days. Schedule can always change but looks like 1st stop Maggie Valley Sunday night (this is the one I may change) to break up the trip and then over to Pigeon Forge for three nights, have the place where we are staying booked and also booked White Water rafting for Tuesday.

We know the entire area well, between there and the NC side. After almost a decade of running up there and all over, including the Tail of the Dragon, Looking Glassfalls, Dams, Cherohola, Cashiers, Cades Coves, all the bike roads, almost every waterfall that you dont have to walk a mile to see, Pisgah National Forest ect, ect ,ect ... we are bypassing most everything this year and just running up there for the ride and do some fun things we know we always have fun with. On top of that, predicting the weather is a little iffy up there, looks like it will be ok, forecast as usual a little funky but whatever .. .
I think we can say that its an "odd year" with this Covid crap, my wife and I, go about our lives and enjoy, haven't changed much at all, refuse to play into the B.S. with that said, of course, we still keep ourselves aware of it and careful as we can be, much like we would do for the flu or whatever. , Last month we went to Myrtle Beach (by car for that) which we also do a lot of, was one of the best vacations we had, just kicked back and enjoyed the beach, our favorite place to stay, shopping and going to dinner, no preplanned stuff. Quality time with the wife. Never thought Covid BS would make us one of our most relaxing simple vacations. Now plan on doing that in the Mountains.

This ride up the mountains will be the same this year, no extensive preplanned agenda, so will bypass the Dragon (been there, done it so many times, it was a good experience but for us is now a road to get from point A to B. that "B" this year, is one thing I want to do and take a short ride up to Maryville to check out a 2018 RK. Im not buying a bike love my 14RK but just want to see the 2018. If I was to change bikes, it would be more for a change of colors now which would be the Blue/Silver two tone, right now I am Amber/Silver and experience the M8 engine, Im just leary as in 2018 they were still working out issues a small number of people had but they were bad, Im not buying a bike, even though I never am but sometimes ride home with one :eek:)
Wow, I wrote a book here ... off to work I go .. .

I wish that I had bought a Road King instead of my Ultra.

Ok, we had a great run to the Smokies a few weeks ago. 1st night stayed in Cashiers (The Highlands) following day did the Waterfalls ect, worked our way up to Pigeon Forge.
I live in the Lake Murray Area (the western part of the lake (lake is 41 miles long) Im a pretty good ride from Aiken, maybe just shy of an hour.
I know the entire state pretty good because of my past occupation of doing security systems.
Im starting to wonder to myself how many more trips wife and I will be taking, we are running out of new places to discover or maybe I just have to look harder.

Been kind of weird, for 10 years we had draught every year, until about 4 years ago. Bike has been sitting in the garage more then ever the last 12 months ... sooooo ... I ran across something that you may know about.
Let me start by saying, my 14 Road King is an awesome touring bike, it is freaking great, flawless performance every trip we have taken, now 6 years and almost 30,000 miles later, Im starting to wonder (as you may know) if I am done with the longer trips and cruising and done with bikes OR maybe a new experience, its why I found your post interesting.

So just this weekend, on the computer I have been reading about this, what seems to be, simple, well priced, light, inexpensive, Yamaha Sport Tourer ... redesigned in 2019 Im finding it interesting, the Yamaha TRACER 900GT ... https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...yamaha-tracer-900-tracer-900-gt-ar179362.html
Might just fit the way my future riding will be, if I keep riding, thing is, trying to figure out the future is rough at times. *L*
Every hear of it? Really looks like a fun ride, I like the looks, has storage so would be good for an over nighter ect...
(I do this all the time, look at other bikes, so dont take this too serious, yet)

I like, for lack of better words, the simplicity of the Tracer 900 GT, kind of like the Road King too me.
It has what I want, bags, ABS a lite version of traction control and heck, weighs in at 500 pounds instead of 800. At the same time, its not going to be the smoooooth ride of the RK on the interstate.
Anyway, I go through this every year or two, its a thought and fun to think about, dont think I am there yet though.
Smokies below -
IMG_2440.jpeg
IMG_2388.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you done the Devil's Backbone in Va.? 32 mile road between Marion (on I-81) to Tazewell? I plan on doing it this fall.

Ok, we had a great run to the Smokies a few weeks ago. 1st night stayed in Cashiers (The Highlands) following day did the Waterfalls ect, worked our way up to Pigeon Forge.
I live in the Lake Murray Area (the western part of the lake (lake is 41 miles long) Im a pretty good ride from Aiken, maybe just shy of an hour.
I know the entire state pretty good because of my past occupation of doing security systems.
Im starting to wonder to myself how many more trips wife and I will be taking, we are running out of new places to discover or maybe I just have to look harder.

Been kind of weird, for 10 years we had draught every year, until about 4 years ago. Bike has been sitting in the garage more then ever the last 12 months ... sooooo ... I ran across something that you may know about.
Let me start by saying, my 14 Road King is an awesome touring bike, it is freaking great, flawless performance every trip we have taken, now 6 years and almost 30,000 miles later, Im starting to wonder (as you may know) if I am done with the longer trips and cruising and done with bikes OR maybe a new experience, its why I found your post interesting.

So just this weekend, on the computer I have been reading about this, what seems to be, simple, well priced, light, inexpensive, Yamaha Sport Tourer ... redesigned in 2019 Im finding it interesting, the Yamaha TRACER 900GT ... https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...yamaha-tracer-900-tracer-900-gt-ar179362.html
Might just fit the way my future riding will be, if I keep riding, thing is, trying to figure out the future is rough at times. *L*
Every hear of it? Really looks like a fun ride, I like the looks, has storage so would be good for an over nighter ect...
(I do this all the time, look at other bikes, so dont take this too serious, yet)

I like, for lack of better words, the simplicity of the Tracer 900 GT, kind of like the Road King too me.
It has what I want, bags, ABS a lite version of traction control and heck, weighs in at 500 pounds instead of 800. At the same time, its not going to be the smoooooth ride of the RK on the interstate.
Anyway, I go through this every year or two, its a thought and fun to think about, dont think I am there yet though.
Smokies below -
View attachment 28845View attachment 28846

Wow! That looks like great riding country to me. Your RK with the tourpak is just the way I would set it up for the wife and me too. Great looking Road King.

The Road King appeals to me just because it has everything you need without all the extra doo dads. It's just a long distance machine reduced to it's core elements. You should forget about trading it in and just keep on keepin' on.

Regarding the Tracer, that's a nice bike. I've never ridden one but I believe that it's based on the 3 cylinder engine that's been out for several years now and has had great reviews. It looks to be a new version of the FJ900 but I could be wrong. In any case, that is certainly a bike to consider for those of us who aren't getting any younger and want to keep riding on a bike that's lighter and more nimble but still capable of keeping us entertained.

very low metals which was good
430 flash is very good shows no fuel at all
however, look at the susvis ... its barely middle 40wt

this report shows more about your motor than about the oil
think about that

steve

very low metals which was good
430 flash is very good shows no fuel at all
however, look at the susvis ... its barely middle 40wt

this report shows more about your motor than about the oil
think about that

steve
With the historically low wear metals over almost 60,000 miles of occasional testing, wouldn’t it be more proper to say it shows more about the oil (sheared in a non-shared sump, albeit over a 5,000 mile OCI) than it does the engine?

With that said, it is an air/oil cooled engine, so some shearing could be expected from temperature extremes depending on how hot the engine gets in commuting where there could be stop and go traffic. Or is that your point? That this engine shears oil, which is the point of “...shows more about your motor...”.

:D :D :D :D :D

if this is the report that you get with the horrible oil that gtx20w50 is...congrats on your motor! its almost goldwing class ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

if this is the report that you get with the horrible oil that gtx20w50 is...congrats on your motor! its almost goldwing class ;)

Thanks for chiming in. Bonz beat me to the punch here and I now see the point that you were making.

I have been using this oil for decades knowing that it's not the "best oil". It's not the oil that I started out with on this bike but the synthetic that I was using was weeping onto the clutch plate at the rear seal. This was causing occasional clutch slippage and when I switched to GTX the clutch slippage started to slowly diminish until it eventually disappeared altogether. This is a common problem on this bike that has a dry automotive style clutch. Switching to GTX has stopped the weeping and I am still on the original clutch.

A new clutch on this bike involves basically splitting the bike in half and is a major endeavor with lots of expensive BMW parts. So although GTX is not the optimum oil, it is working for me and my plan of getting a new bike when I wore this one out may take longer than I thought.

certain rubber/plastic used to (and apparently some still do) with certain types of synth oils that cause swelling/leaking
major pain
i think any of the dino oils would have gotten you back to a nonleaking status.
however, with that said, dont change anything ... at your current rate of wear...you will be sick of the bike before the motor wears out

Back