2006 Ram 5.9 UOA results

Hello everyone, new to this forum. Just had my first UOA done on my truck, 2006 Dodge Ram 5.9 w/90k miles (mostly pulling). Engine is all stock except for ATS intake horn and boost fooler. The potassium level has me a little concerned. I have been noticing my coolant level in the reservoir dropping an inch or so. Had the typical leak at the hose fitting next to the turbo that I had to tighten up twice so thought that was the culprit. Doesn't seem to be leaking anymore when sitting cold and doesn't appear to be leaking with engine running. Although the later is hard to tell as it's right next to the turbo and exhaust so maybe it's getting cooked off as it leaks. 🤷‍♂️
So that's what brought me to do my first UOA. I'm no expert in reading these numbers except for professor Google. Just wondering if the potassium number is high enough to warrant the head being pulled to see if the gasket is leaking. Thanks in advance for all the help.

UOA sceen shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch for a trend on the potassium. If it increases I would take a close look at the EGR cooler.

Welcome @AZdieselburner. I’m not sure if the 5.9L is different than the 6.7L but usually when the head gasket goes on a 6.7L the overflow bottle over fills and gurgling can be heard when you shut the truck off. Has any work been done on the cooling system? Air is hard to get out of these systems. I’d keep an eye on things but don’t overthink it. The report states that there’s no signs of antifreeze in the oil.

Just my $0.02

Welcome @AZdieselburner. I’m not sure if the 5.9L is different than the 6.7L but usually when the head gasket goes on a 6.7L the overflow bottle over fills and gurgling can be heard when you shut the truck off. Has any work been done on the cooling system? Air is hard to get out of these systems. I’d keep an eye on things but don’t overthink it. The report states that there’s no signs of antifreeze in the oil.

Just my $0.02
I replaced the water pump and tstat (non Cummins) about 15k ago and just recently decided to put a new Cummins tstat in after noticing a very slight bump in my coolant temps after using aftermarket water pump and tstat. But I think that was mostly because I also started using an obd reader that showed my exact water temp instead of just relying on the stock temp gauge. Yes I did do the proper burping of the air out of the cooling system both times.
I figured I’d put about 3k on the fresh oil and do another analysis. Luckily I can just take mine locally and get the results same day.

I replaced the water pump and tstat (non Cummins) about 15k ago and just recently decided to put a new Cummins tstat in after noticing a very slight bump in my coolant temps after using aftermarket water pump and tstat. But I think that was mostly because I also started using an obd reader that showed my exact water temp instead of just relying on the stock temp gauge. Yes I did do the proper burping of the air out of the cooling system both times.
I figured I’d put about 3k on the fresh oil and do another analysis. Luckily I can just take mine locally and get the results same day.
Yes tstat needs to be Cummins based on all my research. The non OEM ones just don’t cut it. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Just my $0.02

Back