2006 MazdaSpeed 6 DISI ,2900 miles PP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my report from back in February. I drive about 5 miles per day, so the oil doesn't really get warm. I do try to take it on longer trips or have the wife take it to work at least once per week. I try to change it at six months, but I got lazy and actually went seven months and about 2,900 miles. Overall, the report does look pretty good. The filter was a Mazda OEM unit.

I'm doing some contract work that has me driving 52 miles each day, so the next interval should be higher miles, but under better driving conditions. Twenty of those miles each way is often the HOV lane, so a steady 65-70 miles per hour is the norm a couple times per week. I have another round of PP 5W-30 in there now with a Napa Gold filter.

The presence of fuel is a common theme with these engines. I don’t know how much it affected wear. The interval was short mileage-wise, so I’m sure that had some effect on the low wear numbers. I will be curious to see the next report with my new driving conditions. I’m thinking about 4,000-5,000 miles for an interval.

Report_2-09.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I would use PP 5W-30 if fuel dilution is an issue...

The headline and the description both mention 5W-30, but the report says 5W-20. So
21.gif

Looks good and is comparible to my CX7 at 18,000 miles I use 5w30 PP and a 6,000 mile OCI. If wear valves are good then dilution is not an issue. CHECK WEAR FIRST-THEN IF HIGH LOOK FOR THE CAUSE.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks good and is comparible to my CX7 at 18,000 miles I use 5w30 PP and a 6,000 mile OCI. If wear valves are good then dilution is not an issue. CHECK WEAR FIRST-THEN IF HIGH LOOK FOR THE CAUSE.

I assume you meant to say "if wear values are good, then dilution is not an issue".

That is not totally true. Fuel dilution can cause more than increased wear. It can also cause increased oxidation, nitration, soot, acidity .... most of which are not seen in a Blackstone UOA.

Case in point. Audi and VW FSI engines see increased intake valve deposit formation because of fuel dilution. Mitsibushi GDI engines in Europe see the same problem.

I suppose I should contact Blackstone about their mistake. Some of the values listed on the bottom are probably based on the use of 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back