2006 Jetta TDI Malone Tuned Stage II - RLI Biosyn HD 10w40 - 8800 miles

This is my moms car. We got it from a local TDI enthusiast in mid 2021. It has a number of upgrades including a billet camshaft and taller 5th gear. 100 mph is 2900 rpm now. It was expensive but is very clean and had sub 100k miles. It is a rare option package 2 car with climatronic and leather. It drives nice but I wish the PO did the G60/VR6 SMF conversion instead of the LUK Repset kit.

I believe lead and tin is from the new aftermarket camshaft bearings. FD is likely from short trips. My mom is almost 71 and still drives stick shift, this is her DD.

Oil is RLI Biosyn HD 10w30 and 10w40 blended 50/50. The PD engines need thick oil and eat camshafts.

Last edited:
I forgot about the RLI Biosyn oils. How are they doing these days? Hard to read the report but i think you have some break-in wear going on from what I can see.

I forgot about the RLI Biosyn oils. How are they doing these days? Hard to read the report but i think you have some break-in wear going on from what I can see.
I guess this interval was actually 7800 miles.

This is from my oil stock and is from 2016-2018. My mom likes it because it’s renewable and vegetable based.

How’s this? Easier to read?

I wonder what percentage of this oil in the bottle is actually vegetable.

I'd skip the blend and just run the 40 grade. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

How soon we forget... RLI... really good oil.

And then there was the animal fat oil:

I guess we can get there with greenie oils if we are willing to pay a little more

I wonder what percentage of this oil in the bottle is actually vegetable.

I'd skip the blend and just run the 40 grade. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

How soon we forget... RLI... really good oil.

And then there was the animal fat oil:

I guess we can get there with greenie oils if we are willing to pay a little more
I do the 50/50 blend because I got a bunch of the 10w30 on a blowout sale. $16/gal, but need a 40wt so they blend gets it there.

In order for it to be classified as renewable it must be minimum 25% veggie base stocks. I think the RLI booster pak is significantly higher than 25% because I added a small quantity to another oil and it boosted the virgin oxidation value by much more than it would if it was only 25%.

I’m not buying RLI anymore because the pricing at Zoro has gone up 25%+ in the last few years. I got a 5 gal bucket of the RLI HD 5w40 on sale last holiday season for $130, but if it’s not on sale forget it!

unless in northern Cal a 15-40 diesel would surely be a good choice IMO. still driving a stick as i will do as long as i have functional members!! good girl!!

Too bad they don't test for Antimony, since RLI is big into Antimony (and Copper).

TDI's and a heavy flywheel makes for an easy experience driving a manual transmission. I taught many people how to drive stickshift with my old TDI.

Too bad they don't test for Antimony, since RLI is big into Antimony (and Copper).

TDI's and a heavy flywheel makes for an easy experience driving a manual transmission. I taught many people how to drive stickshift with my old TDI.

The HD formula is usually around 450 ppm. It’s nice seeing the antimony as it verifies it’s actually your sample. RLI doesn’t use copper anymore.

The LUK Repset isn’t a heavy flywheel. I think it’s lighter than the OE unit by the way it drives. It also shudders under heavy throttle. Overall a disappointing clutch assembly, do not recommend.

The HD formula is usually around 450 ppm. It’s nice seeing the antimony as it verifies it’s actually your sample. RLI doesn’t use copper anymore.

The LUK Repset isn’t a heavy flywheel. I think it’s lighter than the OE unit by the way it drives. It also shudders under heavy throttle. Overall a disappointing clutch assembly, do not recommend.
A dual mass flywheel does behave differently than a regular solid flywheel.

Even the G60 flywheel/VR6 has a different behavior than the stock dual mass flywheel and clutch.

You should try a 10 pound flywheel... made that mistake...

Back