2006 Honda Accord slow to shift from park to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I posted a couple of months ago about changing the tranny fluid out for the first time (It may have been changed at 69,000 miles) at 180,000 miles. I ended up using Amsoil OTF doing 2 d&f about 500 miles in between. Ever since then (and it has been bitter cold since here in Chicago area) it is noticeably slower to go from park to drive or park to reverse until it warms up. Also it doesn't shift into second until a little higher rpm than it used to, again when its cold then fine after its warm. I'm thinking maybe this is due to it being a little higher viscosity fluid and the extreme cold temps? I thought about doing a 3rd d&f using Amsoil ATL. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Higher viscosity? How High?

It may be the cold! My '04 Altima is doing the same thing,
when it's cold only
smirk.gif
And it's been cold here but, not as cold as some areas of other members...like Canada!
laugh.gif

I am using MaxLife(low viscosity) and I don't ever recall it doing this. It's only a second difference than normal but, noticable.

And I don't experience any 1st to 2nd shift delay though I have experienced some shift flare(discussed here in recent posts). But, the shift flare has been better than in the past. Or it's that I have slightly change my driving due to the flare.

I would just do a line off fluid exchange on these cars and be done with it. External filter on this one? Did you change it? Which engine L4 or V6?

I've read about this on a Honda forum that owners do notice this.
My 2004 Honda Accord has done this from day one. Less noticeable now after having the [censored] Honda transmission replaced at around 75k miles. Not by Honda but a shop that
specializes in transmission overhaul.

Thank you for the replies. The Amsoil OTF fluid is a little higher viscosity fluid than the Amsoil ATL. No engine light on. Its the I4 engine. It has an external in-line filter. I have not changed it yet, procrastination on my part partyly due to extreme cold. I'm not sure the nipple size on it yet or I would've ordered a magnefine (sp) in-line filter already. Anyone know the correct size? I'm sure the cold is influencing it but it never did it before I drained and flushed with the different fluid so I wondered if draining and mixing in 3 quarts of the thinner Amsoil ATL would help the cold weather problem. I've put a little over 5000 miles on the fluid since the last drain and flush.

Do a drain and fill w/ the ATL you have nothing to loose and see how it acts. I think it has more to do w/ the bitter cold than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back