2006 Ford F-250 5.4L 178,316 Total Miles Unknown Oil/Unknown Oil Mileage

This truck was just purchased by my dad. Not looking too good right now. I don't know when the last oil change was done or what was used. I know it was very dark and seemed really thin when I drained it. I installed Schaeffer 5w40 and a Wix 51372 as there was no indication of a problem. Had I known I would have used ST or something for a time. I'll sample it in 3k miles as requested by Blackstone and see where we stand. The air box was totally packed with a rats nest and had a well used K&N filter in it. I removed the K&N(not a fan) and installed a regular Wix paper filter.
1617163415738.jpg

This truck was just purchased by my dad. Not looking too good right now. I don't know when the last oil change was done or what was used. I know it was very dark and seemed really thin when I drained it. I installed Schaeffer 5w40 and a Wix 51372 as there was no indication of a problem. Had I known I would have used ST or something for a time. I'll sample it in 3k miles as requested by Blackstone and see where we stand. The air box was totally packed with a rats nest and had a well used K&N filter in it. I removed the K&N(not a fan) and installed a regular Wix paper filter. View attachment 51995
I have the same motor in my 2007 F-150. That iron # is something else. YIKES!! Does the engine tick any? These engines are known for their timing component failures, namely the phasers and timing chain tensioners, as well as some oil pump failures. These engines require lots of maintenance to stay running properly (especially in terms of oil changes). The K&N filter *might* be partly to blame, though I don't know if it would have caused an issue this significant.

I have the same motor in my 2007 F-150. That iron # is something else. YIKES!! Does the engine tick any? These engines are known for their timing component failures, namely the phasers and timing chain tensioners, as well as some oil pump failures. These engines require lots of maintenance to stay running properly (especially in terms of oil changes). The K&N filter *might* be partly to blame, though I don't know if it would have caused an issue this significant.
There is a slight tick though nothing I would consider abnormal by any stretch. I actually test drove the truck before we bought it. I don't think the K&N is responsible for everything but my theory is that it is responsible for the elevated silicon.

There is a slight tick though nothing I would consider abnormal by any stretch. I actually test drove the truck before we bought it. I don't think the K&N is responsible for everything but my theory is that it is responsible for the elevated silicon.
I agree. Looks like this engine has been neglected, badly by the PO. Hopefully it hasn't plugged any of the cam journal oil passages. Common problem from neglect on these motors, too. At least it's running/sounding ok, so you might get lucky.

I agree. Looks like this engine has been neglected, badly by the PO. Hopefully it hasn't plugged any of the cam journal oil passages. Common problem from neglect on these motors, too. At least it's running/sounding ok, so you might get lucky.
It has been on 80 mile round trips twice this week already and no issues. There is a small exhaust leak somewhere that produces a tick but nothing like I would have expected with these #s.

It has been on 80 mile round trips twice this week already and no issues. There is a small exhaust leak somewhere that produces a tick but nothing like I would have expected with these #s.
Yeah, I'm amazed at that iron, lol. For reference, my '07 5.4 produces about 4-5 PPM, or so of iron in 3,000 miles. I honestly would have thought you would've said it sounds like a literal sewing machine, with those numbers. Makes me wonder if the truck has had cam phaser lockouts? If you don't know what those are, you can Google it. Lots of write-ups on the Ford forums. Usually, with those numbers, the cam phasers are knocking badly with these kinds of numbers. I know my '07, you can hear both phasers just a tiny bit, at hot idle. Mine has 188k on it.

I would do a couple short interval oil runs and then do a recheck analysis of your oil.

Pull the oil fill and look at the head for sludge. If you dont see sludge you probably have a mechanical problem. If you see sludge that may suggest the engine was not properly maintained. Modular Fords with high miles have good results with 10w40. My father has an 06 w/ 340k and has ran 10w40 ST for years. Has about 3 seconds start up chain noise but other than that its very quiet and runs really well.

I would do like 15-20 hot cycles (Cold start in the morning plus a good 20+ mile drive) and drain it in about 500 miles and consider it a nice flush on a new to you vehicle. Then refill with the same Schaeffer and proceed to resample in 3k (or your desired interval)

The new oil you put in is instantly contaminated with leftover junk and will mess with the numbers if you sample it. I think it’s best to flush it all out and start from a fresh block and clean oil and then see how it’s doing with your driving style and conditions.

Otherwise you will waste time watching the contaminants slowly wash out in the new few oil changes / samples and won’t get to a stable report for a while.

Just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I recommend checking the timing chain guides. This is a common issue on high-mileage mod-motors; the guides are not a last-forever item - they do wear. Once the plastic liner is worn away, the steel chain eats into the aluminum guide. This could explain the numbers in your UOA. I cannot assure you 100% this as the cause, but it's the more common of several potential problems and also, luckinly, one of the easier things to fix if you're handy with tools. (Beats going into pistons and cylinders ... anyway). Plenty of vids on YT to help you see how to do it.

This truck was just purchased by my dad. Not looking too good right now. I don't know when the last oil change was done or what was used. I know it was very dark and seemed really thin when I drained it. I installed Schaeffer 5w40 and a Wix 51372 as there was no indication of a problem. Had I known I would have used ST or something for a time. I'll sample it in 3k miles as requested by Blackstone and see where we stand. The air box was totally packed with a rats nest and had a well used K&N filter in it. I removed the K&N(not a fan) and installed a regular Wix paper filter. View attachment 51995

Creekside I'll agree this looks like a case of neglect by the previous owner....if oil used was a 20 grade it has thickened considerably, add to that the flash point has dropped; both of these indicate it was run too long.

After 3k miles you may want to leave the oil in and just take a sample; I'd bet that the wear metals will come down quite a bit.

The Schaeffer 5w-40 is a great choice to use going forward. The 5.4, even though specified 5w-20, as we know prefers something thicker.

edit: Dnewton3 could be spot-on also about the chain guides.

Creekside I'll agree this looks like a case of neglect by the previous owner....if oil used was a 20 grade it has thickened considerably, add to that the flash point has dropped; both of these indicate it was run too long.

After 3k miles you may want to leave the oil in and just take a sample; I'd bet that the wear metals will come down quite a bit.

The Schaeffer 5w-40 is a great choice to use going forward. The 5.4, even though specified 5w-20, as we know prefers something thicker.

edit: Dnewton3 could be spot-on also about the chain guides.
I am going to wait to tear into it until I see the next oil sample results. If they are still poor then I will be looking at doing guides. If I have to tear it down I will replace them regardless. Too much work to only do a DNI.

Back