2006 chrysler 300 3.5 limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i got a check engine light on, checked with code scanner and got E78 and E79 , the scanner does not show what this code is this is the second time this week the code came on. What is this code mean?

Those codes don't make sense. What scanner are you using?

The closest to those codes would be:

P1478 Battery Temp Sensor Voltage Out Of Limit
P1479 Transmission Fan Relay Circuit Open Or Shorted

Originally Posted by jeep58
Today i got a check engine light on, checked with code scanner and got E78 and E79 , the scanner does not show what this code is this is the second time this week the code came on. What is this code mean?

According to the internet: "The E79 error code indicates that your Xbox 360 has either a corrupted file system or a hard drive problem."

You sure you plugged your scanner into the Jeep and not your XBox?

I've never seen a trouble code like that. Every one I have seen is a letter followed by 4 digits, and I've never seen one that started with an E.

What kind of scanner did you use? Maybe it's got a proprietary set of codes that have to be cross-referenced with the standard ones. Check its OM?

What if the scanner has internal error codes that indicate a lack of communication with the OBD-II plug, or other internal problem?

Oops, I just noticed you have a Chrysler 300 and not a Jeep...not sure where I got that from, but I thought it was odd to have a Jeep with 3.5L...guess that's why, it wasn't a Jeep!

Anyway, I wanted to ask what, if any, drivability issues are having with it? Low mpgs, erratic idle, hard starting, etc?

What about the 100K mike maintenances, have you done those (or had them done) yet.

The car runs fine the OBD-II is Autel Auto link AL319 I have used it before when I got the cat code came up and replaced the cat cats with a high flow cats, that was back in the warm weather. Every thing worked fine that I got the code for bad cat with the new cats. I put on spacers on the cats to stop the cat code from coming back on, and it has not shown that cat code since. I will try to get a picture of the code next time it comes on !

FWIW I did a Chrysler one time, I forget what it was as I don't work on them but he had it scanned all over the place except the dealer and of all the scan tools I own only one (the older snap on unit I had would probably have given it also but it got sold on ebay so I cant say) would give me the info. All the others came up with gibberish.

Originally Posted by jeep58
The car runs fine the OBD-II is Autel Auto link AL319 I have used it before when I got the cat code came up and replaced the cat cats with a high flow cats, that was back in the warm weather. Every thing worked fine that I got the code for bad cat with the new cats. I put on spacers on the cats to stop the cat code from coming back on, and it has not shown that cat code since. I will try to get a picture of the code next time it comes on !

In looking through the user manual for that scanner, it seems pretty straightforward how to get the stored DTCs, so I'm not sure if you're seeing the wrong thing or it's just displaying some other type of info.

Can you confirm you retrieved these E79-E80 codes through the Stored Codes menu? Did the actual screen displaying them have any other info on it, like car make?

Also, the manual make a pretty big deal about updating the tool with the latest software from their website. Have you ever updated your scanner from their site? Have you done it in the last 6 months or so?

58485E7A-E77B-469B-9D8A-B82F424A0C1D.jpeg

These are very basic tools and usually will not retrieve manufacturers specific codes for all modules. There is no such thing as a inexpensive full featured scan tool unless its a VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back