2006 charger. From ultra 5w-20 to BC 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

I figured I would post my observations going up 2 grades.
Mileage has increased however idle times have significantly decreased. Oil temps stabilize at 190f at 70mph. Takes about 25 miles to reach stabilized temps.
Left the fram ultra filter on. It's got 11000 miles of use thus far.
At 190f oil temps oil pressure is 25psi at idle and 52 psi at 2000rpm/70mph.
That's an increase of 2psi at both idle and at speed.
Engine no longer has a slight tick which. Oils just be from new oil. Old oil wasn't midnight black even with 10000 miles on it.
And internals are spotless.

I thought at 20 grade was required so that the MDS would operate correctly on this engine. Are you having any MDS problems?

Mds is unaffected.
Let's think about this for a minute.
5w-20 cold is much thicker than 0w-40 hot.
So if mds works on a cold engine with a 20 grade then a hot 40 should be fine too,right.
I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. So flare side is absolutely correct.

Are we in the beginnings of a swing back to heavier oils on this forum? I just put M1 0W-40 in a 5W-30 application and may never look back. The engine is smooth as silk. I'm thinking of putting it in my 20-spec'd CR-V now.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Are we in the beginnings of a swing back to heavier oils on this forum? I just put M1 0W-40 in a 5W-30 application and may never look back. The engine is smooth as silk. I'm thinking of putting it in my 20-spec'd CR-V now.

I was always a thicker is better guy,and now that warmer weather has arrived I am much more spirited as far as the pedal goes.
I didn't trust 20 grades up until Caterham clued me in. The hemi is a bit less rev happy with a 40 grade though. I can tell the difference.
Absolutely no valvetrain noise now though.
I'll be using M1 0w-40 on my next interval which should be mid-summer or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back