2006 and newer Hondas - a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo all other cars in the 80's and 90's other than Honda or Toyota were susbtandard LOL

see my puffery and widage comment.

Char Baby said:
I loved my Honda's and still respect Honda today although, I don't want to miss out on other manufactures' offereings as, the competition has certainly cought up all over the world.

Honda today, certainly IS NOT the automotive darling that they once were...expecially when all other vehicles('cept Toyota) were sub standard back in their[Honda] Hayday(mostly the 80's/90's).

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Soo all other cars in the 80's and 90's other than Honda or Toyota were susbtandard LOL

Char Baby said:
I loved my Honda's and still respect Honda today although, I don't want to miss out on other manufactures' offereings as, the competition has certainly cought up all over the world.

Honda today, certainly IS NOT the automotive darling that they once were...expecially when all other vehicles('cept Toyota) were sub standard back in their[Honda] Hayday(mostly the 80's/90's).

Well, we certainly can't argue with most customers reviews and opinions as well as the automotive press back then! I should have mentioned that most Asian vehicles(and very few domestic vehicles) were amongst the more(though, not most) reliabe vehices on the road here in the U.S. There were some acceptions.

We have to admit that Honda "WAS" in it's Hayday during those years. Yes, even compared to many Toyota's(though, Lexus took Toyota to a higher level).

Today, it's a completly different story. And very good to see the competition(especially the domestic vehicles) have gotten on board, as crual as it may sound! European Vehicles though great to drive, are still plagued with issues.

We too had friends/family that owned Honda's of the 70's-80's that were(as I mentioned) less than steller and very dissapointing. Though the reports and testing back then still showed different. I thought the early 70's thru early-mid 80's, that the Asian vehicles(even HonYota) were junk/rust buckets/cancer cases that we couldn't get parts for.

Last edited:

Char Baby said:

You are correct.

All other makes besides Honda were substandard in the 80s and 90s.

You hate this truth but it is the truth. ConsumerReports, and millions of actual owners, and the fact that Honda had the heighest resale value in the industry in the 80s and 90s belies your opinion. Shatters it, actually.

I only own a Toyota and a Bentley presently, but in the past I had several Hondas and they all were trouble free beyond 200k miles. But I'm just one owner, so don't take my word for it. Stand back and research the millions of owners of 80s and 90s Hondas that would say the same thing.

This issue is self-evident, and is beyond opinion and subjectivity.

I worked in a garage in the late 70's to mid 80's part time while in high school and college. cant tell you how many Honda cam shafts and head gaskets we did on those things. It helped put me thru school LOL I would harldy call any Honda or toyota from 70-s thru 90's superior to anything, all cars have their good and bad points but Honda and Toyota always get the free pass. IMHO those from that were rot buckets and had just as many issues. Where they shined was better economy and fewer overall problems since a mid 90's Honda had fewer power otions and less to go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Char Baby said:

Well, we certainly can't argue with most customers reviews and opinions as well as the automotive press back then! I should have mentioned that most Asian vehicles(and very few domestic vehicles) were amongst the more(though, not most) reliabe vehices on the road here in the U.S. There were some acceptions.

We have to admit that Honda "WAS" in it's Hayday during those years. Yes, even compared to many Toyota's(though, Lexus took Toyota to a higher level).

Today, it's a completly different story. And very good to see the competition(especially the domestic vehicles) have gotten on board, as crual as it may sound! European Vehicles though great to drive, are still plagued with issues.

We too had friends/family that owned Honda's of the 70's-80's that were(as I mentioned) less than steller and very dissapointing. Though the reports and testing back then still showed different. I thought the early 70's thru early-mid 80's, that the Asian vehicles(even HonYota) were junk/rust buckets/cancer cases that we couldn't get parts for.

I worked in a garage in the late 70's to mid 80's part time while in high school and college. cant tell you how many Honda cam shafts and head gaskets we did on those things. It helped put me thru school LOL I would harldy call any Honda or toyota from 70-s thru 90's superior to anything, all cars have their good and bad points but Honda and Toyota always get the free pass. IMHO those from that were rot buckets and had just as many issues. Where they shined was better economy and fewer overall problems since a mid 90's Honda had fewer power otions and less to go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Char Baby said:

During the 80s and 90s I worked at an independent garage, and we services every make. By far 80% of what we FIXED were domestic cars. We almost never more then change the oil on Hondas and Toyotas of that day. They were bullet proof, and by a massive margin over any domestic makes. It was night and day.

The only people that think otherwise are those that cannot handle the truth about the massive differences in reliability between Honda and the domestics in that 80s and 90s era.

Last edited:
VNTS said:

There are always going to be those stories about one shop that saw lots of Honda's and made money on'em. OTOH, North Ameriacn, European & Asian reports of vehicle reliability can't all be wrong.

I worked at my dad's gas station from '69-'79 and during the late(er) 70's after the cost of gasoline was in the uprise and forign make became more popular, forign vehicles including Honda's came into dad's station only for oil/filter change. This doesn't meant that the cars didn't need repairs nor that Honda's didn't need repairs, it just means that we didn't see'em.

Dad worked on all makes, mostly domestic! Forign cars weren't hard to work on, only hard to get parts for!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
My friend bought an excellent condition 05 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L with 50,000 miles on it for $6000.

Wait, correction the car has 500,000 miles on it. Sorry about that:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113906

A fool and his money departed.....Personally I would only take an unknown vehicle with 200k+ for free.

I am still floored my wife posted her car at work (large hospital) and sold her car for $3000 with 200k. She only paid $11k for it with 5k miles on it. She did little to it except air filter and oil herself mostly. Her father took at 110k and replaced all belts including timing belt, brakes etc,tires.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
I question the OP's motives. He uses a lot of circumstantial anecdotal "evidence" to show his hatred toward Honda. He makes a lot of claims that make no sense. Here's one: "the dealer fought my friend when he wanted to replace his engine with a used one". The OP sounds like someone young, and lacking education. His lies run contra to ConsumerReports stellar reviews of Honda in general, AND FROM ACTUAL OWNERS.

Its nice that you make judgements on someone who you hardly know. I'm actually very educated and have a college degree, not to mention I've been wrenching on cars since I started driving, and worked 3 summers in my buddy's shop. I don't claim to be a know it all on cars, these are only the experiences I've had. I've said repeatedly I do not hate Hondas. Not sure what questionable motives you think I have.
confused2.gif
I guess sharing the experiences of friends/family vehicles I have ACTUALLY WORKED ON is no comparison to some company generated review.

I talked to my co-worker this morning regarding his Pilot and he is having it towed to another shop. The dealership refused to put in a used engine and apparently did not care if he took his business elsewhere.

I still like Hondas. Heck, we have two of them sitting in our driveway right now and they aren't going anywhere for a while. My point is that like another poster said, Honda does not deserve the "free pass" it often gets from people on this forum. Can they be reliable? Absolutely, when given proper care. Just don't expect to drive them into the ground and not expect some repair bills.

This is only my opinion, based on my experiences, nothing about that gives you the right to call someone uneducated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
All cars are about the same...

LOL~ You read the strangest things on internet forums.

Name me a brand new 2013 car that will fall apart before 100k or not make it to 200k with proper care and maintenance?

Reliability wise they are all about the same - good.

I still don't think Hyundai/Kia is there yet.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
All cars are about the same...

LOL~ You read the strangest things on internet forums.

Name me a brand new 2013 car that will fall apart before 100k or not make it to 200k with proper care and maintenance?

Reliability wise they are all about the same - good.

I still don't think Hyundai/Kia is there yet.

I think Hyundai/Kia turns out a pretty good product, but there is something about the driving dynamics I just don't like. I think they need a little more work on chassis tuning - but their cars seem to be just as reliable and long lasting as anything else on the road.

Honda quality is gone down the tubes. My step mom's Oddessy is contently breaking down..My friend of over 15 years had a 12' civic that had AC issues from day one and COULD NOT EVER get over 33mpg. At 21k it was traded 2 weeks ago for A 13' civic and it has a noise already that sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I JUST walked out and looked at the car, it has 1300 miles on the odo. I have refused to go to the dealer with her to report the issues her cars have had, I REFUSE to let her drive my truck because Honda said we will fix it but we do not have a loaner for you to drive. This happened last time the AC went out in her 12' civic. It has actually been a sore spot for us. She, just like some of you guys will defend Honda till the bitter end..EVEN when they have crazy multiple expensive issues. I told her if she takes the 13' in for the wheel bearing that she had better get a loaner because she WILL NOT be driving my truck,
why....why.. get another Honda if the last one had so many issues and the service department treated you like scrap...????WHYY? I told her don't come crying to me when that little pos breaks down.. I don't want to hear it.

My Ford's can go 200k miles with nothing but fluids and filters but a 6 month old Honda can't make 50k miles SAD!

As much as I once loved Honda vehicles(their cars were once at the top of the charts in their respective catigory/class), I think that there are as good or better choices. It's not just all about Honda anymore!

For cars(I can't speak for motorcycles),I think Honda's "Hayday" was when the old man was still alive and Honda was still active in Formula 1 Racing.

The whole company once had style for their time period(when Acura was in it's infancy) compared to the competition but, it's a matter of taste now. Not bad looking cars/suv/cuv's but, there are so many good looking vehicles in their class now.

At one time, Honda's seemed better built from the inside/out! More solid! Smoother, more fuel efficient 4 cylinder engines, best manual trannys, longer life out of the car with fewer(FEWER) problems. Though not without problems.

Sure, I even had some problems/issues! But, when it was fixed, it was fixed and never had to fix the same problem multiple times. And the problems were "FEW"
smile.gif

I loved driving them but, Honda vehicles aren't for everyone. I loved the view outward, the low dash/cowel look out of the windshield and all around with a wide open feel(large glass/slim pillars) but, disliked the lack of sound insulation.

And I loved the sound of their engines at WOT and the way I was able to throw the car into a corner with the standard susspension but, hated the ride over broken pevement(even mild road imperfections)! I loved the driver seat for short or long trips(bad back) but, hated being a passenger in my own vehicle(lack of overall comfort).

There was and still is alot to like about Honda vehicles but, they're not the only game in town anymore! We really need to test all vehicles in their respective class and see/feel what's best for our criteria. The choice you make may surprise you!

I agree with you on one thing, the 8th generation Civic rides like [censored]. I hated the suspension on my 2011. My Si on the other hand is way better, the ride is great and the suspension doesnt make any noise or anything. The regular Civic is awful for ride quality.

I have never had any powertrain issues with either my 2010 or my 2011, they have been totally reliable, and my 2011 I put 60K miles on in 2 years.

I am not disappointed in our 2009 Fit. Overall, it has been a reliable, fun to drive and fairly efficient car. Every time I drive it, I am reminded of a street-legal go-kart. It is a ball of fun to drive, and gets 40 mpg on long trips. Things I would improve would be adding more sound insulation since it has none, and program the AT differently so it does not drop 2 gears at the slightest touch of throttle.

The dealer we purchased it from, however, was a pretty slimy outfit that I purposely drove past when ours needed the lost-motion-spring recall done. Even the pretty good dealer we got warranty work done at had a few issues, such as one overly aggressive service advisor who lied to my face about who was paying for the recall. Thankfully there was a good walking trail nearby or things would have gotten ugly, and the service manager reeled his minion back in.

This is another thing I liked about Honda vehicles. That Go-Kart feel of the driving experience. The low dash and cowel that I mentoined above. A bit smaller steering wheel than in other cars too.

Not super fast cars in a race but(not that I raced them) but, they felt more than their power suggested due to being smooth and very responsive and cruised on the highway as well as cars costing much, much more money.

Last edited:
The 1980s sucked for most cars because:
1. Nearly all CV axles didn't last. Rebuilds are even worse, and they were never cheaply priced back then.
2. Power steering racks had the same problem.
3. McPherson struts drove up the cost of suspension repairs dramatically.

Anyway, my father knew guys with 80s Honda Accords. Often after the warranty expired, the higher ups at Honda would still fix it free, or at a lower price. They then took the failed part to a laboratory and determined how to make a better one.

Nowadays that doesn't happen. My dad knew a man with an Odessey that had the transmission fail soon after the warranty expired. He got zero help from Honda, so he sold the van and looked elsewhere.

Nothing is going to be perfect. Our V has had some minor issues like heat didn't work and the drivers door lock would act up. I was able to fix both issues myself. The valve train is a typical 2.4L although I've found PP has quieted it down to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back