2005 Porsche Boxster - Delo XLE 15W-40 - 3360 miles

2005 Porsche Boxster 2.7L 5-spd manual. Recently purchased with the previous owner using LM 5W-40 of some type. This being my first Porsche H6 I didn't think much of the valvetrain clatter I was hearing, figured it was normal. The car is only driven during the warmer months and stored in an attached garage that never gets below 40F in the winter, so I wanted to try a 15W-40. Noticed an immediate difference- the valvetrain became much quieter and the engine felt much smoother across the rev range, much more enjoyable to open it up like it was designed to be driven. Refilled with Rotella T4 15W-40 and will sample again next year. Still has the original IMS bearing and although the numbers look good it will be changed next year.

Attachments

• porscheUOA.png
    porscheUOA.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 182
Both our Porsches are noticeably quieter with oils on the heavier side of the allowed range, especially on cold starts. I use M1 5w-50 in both of them now (used to use the M1 15w in the 996). Both cars hibernate. The M1 5w-50 is a good, A40 approved oil.

Congrats on the new car. They are very well designed, built and are easy to own for their capabilities.

If you're not going to follow Porsche oil recommendation for your vehicle, them don't follow gasoline octane recommendation either. Try 87 octane, it'll quieten valvetrain further. Porsche engeners are dorks anyways

If you're not going to follow Porsche oil recommendation for your vehicle, them don't follow gasoline octane recommendation either. Try 87 octane, it'll quieten valvetrain further. Porsche engeners are dorks anyways

I've attached a page from the 986 owner's manual, same engine. Like I mentioned, the car is stored in my attached garage, so it's almost never started in ambient temps below ~60F.

@wings&wheels, @rooflessVW thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into where I can source some M1 5W-50.

Attachments

• 986_oil_manual.png
    986_oil_manual.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 48
Back