2005 F150 5.4 V8, 10K, Redline/GC/Motorcraft Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully I'm doing this right, sorry its my first one. first number is my reading, second number is the Universal Average

ALUMINUM 2 3
CHROMIUM 1 1
IRON 13 15
COPPER 8 5
LEAD 1 1
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 107 55
grin.gif

NICKEL 0 1
MANGANESE 0 1
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 1
BORON 86 48
SILICON 23 14
SODIUM 7 6
CALCIUM 1737 2275
MAGNESIUM 126 186
PHOSPHORUS 694 743
ZINC 842 899
BARIUM 0 1

Comments: PAUL: Your "Ford Brew" of Motorcraft, Castrol and Redline produced a viscosity reading in the low 30W/high 20W range. Universal averages show typical wear metals for this type engine after 5150 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 5000 miles, and we found all wear at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration appear normal. We did not find any fuel, water or anti-freeze in the sample. The TBN was 2.9, 1.0 is low. Looks like a good one! Try 6000 miles for next oil change and check back.

Sorry, I dumped the unknown factory oil after 5K. This brew was in use for 5k, total 10K on the motor.

4 Motorcraft 5w-20's
1 Redline 5w-20
2 German Castrol 0w-30's

I guess the mix stayed perfectly true to form.

The silicon *is* high.
But as an additive, I'm not too worried.

I wanted to ask where that post was that describes every single one of the additives and what their uses are, as well as the metals and where they are commonly found. Thought I saw something like that somewhere around here.

Found this online:

Q & A
"What are the possible sources of silicon in oil?"

Silicon is measured by oil analysis labs to determine dirt ingression. While more often than not, high silicon readings indicate dirt, there are several other possible sources. The four most common are:

1. Defoamant additive – many oils contain defoamants based on polymeric methyl silicone. Since silicone contains the element silicon, the presence of this kind of additive will show a positive silicon reading in spectrometric analysis. The typical levels of Si seen under these conditions are around 1-10 ppm.

2. Silicone based sealant – many sealants used for industrial and mobile applications are silicone based. The level of silicon observed will of course be directly related to the amount of sealant leaching into the lube system.

3. Casting sand – some components are made by casting in sand (silicon oxide). Although new components are cleaned thoroughly prior to installation, it is not uncommon to see 50-100 ppm of silicon from new equipment. This level should drop as the component breaks-in and regular oil changes take place.

4. Coolant contamination – many engine coolants contain inhibitors which contain silicon. In an engine application, high Si readings in conjunction with other elements such as Na, K and B may indicate a coolant leak.

Without other evidence differentiating between additives, silicone and casting material as the source of silicon is difficult. However, dirt ingression can be determined by tracking both silicon and aluminum. For most common dirt, which contains the minerals silica and alumina, tracking Si and Al, which should show up in lock step trend in the ratio 3.4:1, can be used to confirm dirt ingression.

Hopefully its just in there as a defoamant!

Ok, I missed the part where the truck had 10k on it, Still breaking in.

The MC by itself would probably do just as good.

This report is excellent considering that your engine is still breaking in. The high silicon most likely is from your gaskets and is nothing to worry about at this stage in the life of your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back