2005 Explorer rear diff question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the rear diff fluid in my 2005 Ford Explorer. Its two wheel drive with the 4.6L and the RSC traction control. I will be using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140. Do I need to add anything to the fluid since the rear is limited slip?

TIA for your replies and information.

Are you sure you have a limited slip? The RSC traction control may have eliminated the limited slip differential by using applying brake pressure to the needed wheels to assist with traction and control.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Are you sure you have a limited slip? The RSC traction control may have eliminated the limited slip differential by using applying brake pressure to the needed wheels to assist with traction and control.

This is correct. It could still have Trak-Lock in the axle, which is indicated by an "L" in the gear ratio on the axle tag. For example, "3L73".

Originally Posted By: amsoil.com
Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oil.

Amsoil is some high dollar stuff...especially for an '05 ford. Save some moola and use a cheaper oil that meets spec and you will be fine.

I just changed the diff oils on my '01 Jeep and I used Mag1 Syn. It's basically a generic brand. Meets spec and much cheaper. JMHO

I would use Ford FM if needed as I found only one to be effective if the unit is LS I'm betting you'll need it. Start with .5oz per Qt gear oil. Amsoil is great gear oil and would use in this app just might need little more FM as many do.

Why spend the money for Amsoil when dozens of other oils at a much lower price meet the same spec-- especially in a 2005 high mileage Ford truck rear end? I don't understand the psychology behind wasting money. I'm not trying to be offensive. I just am trying to understand. No fleet...police...fire department...taxi....delivery....commercial....is going to run fancy boutique oils and fleet vehciles get the crud beat out of them and often are the highest mileage vehicles in the road. Just my opinion and no offense. Again, just throwing it out there and this is a forum so obviously the OP wanted discussion.
smile.gif

I had a limited slip in an 04, it failed under warranty then I kept Amsoil in it for the next 130k miles with no issues. I changed it ever 30k and put in the whole tube of the additive in the squeeze tube from Napa.

Antidotal.....the under warranty failure was probably a manufacturing issue. It happens. Changing every 30k is just overkill and a waste of money and waste of resources.

Not sure what rear axle is on the explorer, but on my old F150 with the 8in rear, the diff fluid change was as simple as 3 quarts of Supertech 75w140. Even going with the cheapest, that viscosity of oil is still $15/at or so.

Didn't need friction modifier in mine, but the prevailing thought is that Fords own friction modifier is the best stuff to use.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Why spend the money for Amsoil when dozens of other oils at a much lower price meet the same spec-- especially in a 2005 high mileage Ford truck rear end? I don't understand the psychology behind wasting money. I'm not trying to be offensive. I just am trying to understand. No fleet...police...fire department...taxi....delivery....commercial....is going to run fancy boutique oils and fleet vehciles get the crud beat out of them and often are the highest mileage vehicles in the road. Just my opinion and no offense. Again, just throwing it out there and this is a forum so obviously the OP wanted discussion.
smile.gif

What is your definition of high dollar? Amsoil 75W-140 is $13.05 per quart with preferred pricing (which I think Pablo extends to all Bitog'ers--correct me if I am wrong on this Pablo) and Supertech 75W-140 at Walmart is $11.37 per quart, for an insane difference of $1.68 per quart. I would not put Supertech in the same category as Amsoil even though it meets the specification.

However, if you switch to a more popular brand like Valvoline 75W-140, it is $20.06 per quart at Walmart (which is $7.01 MORE per quart). I would likely consider Mobil 1 gear lube to be in the same class as Amsoil but it is $13.30 at Walmart, so I do not see where you can accurately claim that:

Amsoil is some high dollar stuff...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
smile.gif

What is your definition of high dollar? Amsoil 75W-140 is $13.05 per quart with preferred pricing (which I think Pablo extends to all Bitog'ers--correct me if I am wrong on this Pablo) and Supertech 75W-140 at Walmart is $11.37 per quart, for an insane difference of $1.68 per quart. I would not put Supertech in the same category as Amsoil even though it meets the specification.

However, if you switch to a more popular brand like Valvoline 75W-140, it is $20.06 per quart at Walmart (which is $7.01 MORE per quart). I would likely consider Mobil 1 gear lube to be in the same class as Amsoil but it is $13.30 at Walmart, so I do not see where you can accurately claim that:

I would like to chime in, So if it does meet the specifications, then what "is" the difference other than just the name??

Originally Posted By: GRed
I would like to chime in, So if it does meet the specifications, then what "is" the difference other than just the name??
The purpose of my post was to show contrary to popular belief Amsoil is not "high dollar", with that said, there are multiple tests online that show how Amsoil performs versus other gear oils. Do a search and form your own opinion.

Diffs generally leak at the pinion seal. If it is wet down low in front. Use whatever spec lube is recommended for the diff. The front diff on the Rat leaks, so I have a qt squeeze bottle of store brand 80-something on the premises.

After I drove the Borman 6 for a few yrs, I felt a mild shudder coming from the diff with LSD. I did a little research and went with Mobil 1 75 90. It is the only synthetic lube I have ever used.The shudder never came back. It was 10 bucks a qt X2 at the time. So I changed it after 100 K mile. Mostly diffs and transmissions like t be topped off every so often
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
smile.gif

ToadU - Amsoil is not high dollar. Not sure what high mileage has to do with it either. I want to keep the vehicle as long as possible. $13 for a quart is good, especially as 2015_PSD points out, other Wally World offerings are more expensive. Amsoil is priced reasonably. Opinions vary, that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors......chocolate isn't for everyone.

Oil is cheap, driveline components are not.

Thanks to everyone for their input and opinions.

Last edited:
I have an 04 F150 with limited slip. Used Mobil 1 75w140 with limited slip additive already in it, did a few tight turns and figure 8s after the service- no noise or chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back