2005 Camry Transmission flare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the 2006-2007 camrys have an issue with transmission flare during the 3-4 shift. My 2005 (its an 06 but not the new body style) has been having a hesitation issue when accelerating from a stop. It does this in parking lots and its the 1st to 2nd gear shift at low speed with light pedal input. Fluid is good to go. It has done this with fresh T-IV and Redline( redline did smooth it out some). When it hesitates it jerks, kinda like a stutter.

Since the warranty is still in place I have taken it in to Toyota on several occasions. The jerk of a service writer told me there are no TSB's on the the car regarding transmission issues. I doubt he even checked on it. They test drove the car and reset the ECU. He gave me the lame excuse that the computer learns as you drive. YA dont say! I hate dealers. My tacoma drives great. No issues. Im frustrated that Toyota is so lame when it comes to taking care of these transmission issues. Has anyone experienced this or heard of it in a 2004-2005 camry SE 3.3 V-6 (3MZ-FE)? Thanks

It was the 2007 and newer 6-speed autos that had 3-4 shift flares, but the matter has been resolved.

There was a TSB out for the 04-05 3MZ-FE V6-equipped vehicles regarding the complaints that you mention, but the 2006s aren't listed.

Here's some info from that TSB:

Quote:
Toyota Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 5
TC003-05
Title:
ECM CALIBRATION: SHIFT FEELING
ENHANCEMENT
Models:
’04 -- ’05 Camry (3MZ--FE, 5--Speed A/T)
Technical Service BULLETIN
June 3, 2005
To improve the transmission shift feeling during specific operating modes, the Engine
Control Module (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. These improvements include:
- Reduced downshift lag when accelerating at speeds from 10 to 20 mph.
- Less gear hunting when driving on/off accelerator pedal at 20 to 30 mph
(for example: during heavy rush--hour traffic).
- Improved response rate during heavy acceleration from a stop.
NOTE:
- Version 12.2a or later Diagnostic Tester software is required to perform
this procedure.
- Before proceeding, verify the ECM (PCM) calibration has NOT been updated by
checking for the Authorized Modifications Label (shown in step 1 of the Repair Procedure).
- Harsh ATM shifting may result if any Repair Procedure steps are omitted (specifically steps 2 and 4 of “Flash Reprogram ECM” on page 5).
- 2004 -- 2005 model year Camry vehicles equipped with 3MZ--FE engine and 5--speed automatic transmission.
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
TC3001 Recalibrate ECM Engine & Transmission 0.9
89661--06A40
89661--06A41
89661--06B00
89661--06B01
89661--33A10
89661--33A11
89661--33A80
89661--33A81
26 99
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is
in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
TRANSMISSION & CLUTCH
Introduction Applicable
Vehicles
Warranty
Information
ECM CALIBRATION: SHIFT FEELING ENHANCEMENT -- TC003-05 June 3, 2005

If he is on the cusp of body styles, year changes, etc., and there are parts used that are the same, it could well be that he has one of the ATs that is on the list. A VIN check with the engine and transmission serial numbers may be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back