Transmission Flare 2011 Camry

The fluid was exchanged by running new fluid thru the system until all the old fluid was out, pumping it out through the xmission lines, no machines were used. I went to a well-regarded and recommended local shop. It didn't flare before the replacement, and shortly after replacement I had two or three instances of flare on the 2-3 shift, then all was fine until this trip. Fluid was Toyota's WS fluid. I would bring the car back to the same shop I used for the fluid exchange.
Absolutely bring it back, because I suspect they over or under filled it.

That kind of exchange doesn’t always replace the precise amount of fluid.

I had a shop do the same thing on my 4 Runner. Didn’t check the fluid level afterwards - a huge mistake. They overfilled it by 1 1/2 - 2 quarts.

Didn’t figure it out until the transmission overheated, fried the torque converter clutch, and puked out a bunch of fluid on the highway.

The truck was never the same after.

Don’t trust that the fluid level was done right. The shift flare suggests it was not.

Absolutely bring it back, because I suspect they over or under filled it.

That kind of exchange doesn’t always replace the precise amount of fluid.
I had a shop do the same thing on my 4 Runner. Didn’t check the fluid level afterwards - a huge mistake. They overfilled it by 1 1/2 - 2 quarts.
Didn’t figure it out until the transmission overheated, fried the torque converter clutch, and puked out a bunch of fluid on the highway.
The truck was never the same after.

Don’t trust that the fluid level was done right. The shift flare suggests it was not.
OK, so waiting is not a good idea as it can generate more expensive repairs. As mentioned to The Critic, I planned to contact the shop after this weekend. Thanks again!

The fluid was exchanged by running new fluid thru the system until all the old fluid was out, pumping it out through the xmission lines, no machines were used. I went to a well-regarded and recommended local shop. It didn't flare before the replacement, and shortly after replacement I had two or three instances of flare on the 2-3 shift, then all was fine until this trip. Fluid was Toyota's WS fluid. I would bring the car back to the same shop I used for the fluid exchange.
If they just did the fluid exchange that doesn't guarantee the level is correct unless they did a level check afterwards. If they were lazy its possible they didnt. I'd verify.

My ‘14 Lexus shifts great when cold but 1-2 is a mushy slip-fest when hot. The rest of the gear changes are crisp and precise. After 2 drain fills to the amsoil low vis ATF, and a trial with a very small dose of lubeguard, I pulled a bit more than half quart of the low viscosity fluid out and added the same +half quart back of regular (thicker) viscosity - all in the amsoil family. That made a notable difference, leaving me to suspect low fluid pressure in a not-very-old (82k) unit. with that done, it is a delight and I try to go easy on it until it grabs 2nd.

On my return trip from Chicago, I found that the trans on the Camry became prone to flaring, generally on the 2-3 shift and the 4-5 shift. This is new behavior and I have some questions.

I thought I'd drive it around town for a while and see how the trans behaves before paying someone to look at and repair it. If I live with the problem a while longer, might the flare cause more damage to the trans that would end up being more costly to repair?

Around town, I'm usually in 3rd or 4th gear. Not shifting to 5th or 6th will eliminate the 4-5 occurrence of the flare. Will the 4-5 flare problem get worse over time even if I'm not shifting from 4-5?

In order to properly fix the flare issue, will the trans need a full rebuild or can just a few components be replaced? Would it be a good idea to rebuild the trans anyway since it would be out of the car and probably at least partially dismantled? Generally, what would need to be done to properly repair the flare issue, both minimally and also very thoroughly?

Thanks!
Fluid drain and fill and add some lubegard trans protectant.
Cured many a shift flare for me over a few cars.

On my return trip from Chicago, I found that the trans on the Camry became prone to flaring, generally on the 2-3 shift and the 4-5 shift. This is new behavior and I have some questions.

I thought I'd drive it around town for a while and see how the trans behaves before paying someone to look at and repair it. If I live with the problem a while longer, might the flare cause more damage to the trans that would end up being more costly to repair?

Around town, I'm usually in 3rd or 4th gear. Not shifting to 5th or 6th will eliminate the 4-5 occurrence of the flare. Will the 4-5 flare problem get worse over time even if I'm not shifting from 4-5?

In order to properly fix the flare issue, will the trans need a full rebuild or can just a few components be replaced? Would it be a good idea to rebuild the trans anyway since it would be out of the car and probably at least partially dismantled? Generally, what would need to be done to properly repair the flare issue, both minimally and also very thoroughly?

Thanks!
I'm on the edge of my seat, did you get this fixed? Your transmission is going to explode any minute.

Back