2005-2008 Mustang V-6 w/5 speed manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering a 2005-2008 Mustang V-6 5 speed manual, anyone have one or any experience with one? From what I’ve read the V-6 is surprisingly quick especially with the manual trans (mid 6 second 0-60 and low 15’s in the quarter) and has a lot of low-end torque (240 @ 3,500 rpm) Thanks!

I would recommend driving one if you haven't. They are as quick as you say but IMO they don't feel like it. I've only driven one with the manual trans, but the trans was clunky and the car felt about as "peppy" on the test drive as my wife's 2.3l Mazda3 which gets much better gas mileage.

If it's the speed you're after, however much I hate to say it (because everyone says it) IMO you're much better off getting the GT if you can swing it. I've driven both and the difference is night and day. The V6 feels peppy but the V8 feels fast. If "peppy" is good enough then there are better cars that are more efficient and handle better to boot.

If raw speed isn't important, you just really like the Mustang's body style then it could be a decent car for the right price I suppose.

Have they gone with a design that leaves behind the tail-happy nature of the Fox-body? I could get those things sideways with the 2.3L 4-cylinder. Even when I really didn't care to...

If your not looking for speed but just want something good looking with a little pep, than go for it. But don't come back crying when you get dusted by a GT and spend all your money trying to keep up or look like a GT. I read somewehere that like 60 percent of Mustang drivers modify their cars.

There are a surprising amount of mods you can do to the v6 , too!

check out some forums if thats what your into .

The new V6 can be had with good financing rates and they'll beat the old GTs. Good gas mileage too.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The new V6 can be had with good financing rates and they'll beat the old GTs. Good gas mileage too.

...but they won't beat the '05-'09 V8 GTs. The new (2011-) V6 has a similar HP rating, but less torque, and has freeway/fuel economy gears.
The "3 valve", all-aluminum 4.6 V8 takes very well to modification, with LOTS of aftermarket support. Unless you're looking strictly at insurance cost or MPG rating, the '05-'09 GT is the Mustang to get, if you like that style (I do). They also use a stronger, stiffer chassis than the previous body style ('04 and earlier), and they handle much better than the older cars. You'll also find the '05-on cars to be roomier inside. I recommend the 4.6L GT from '08-'09; late '08-on cars used the improved spark plug and cyl. head. If you're set on the V6, they're still very nice...but you'll find yourself saying, "wow; I could'a had a V8..".
BTW- I have an '08 GT and get about 26 mpg on highway cruises.
smile.gif

I remember when my dad used to have a '92 5.0 LX. We called any 4-cyl Mustang a "wimp-stang". Now, as you say, even the lo-po Mustang can out-run the older 5.0s.

OP, if you do get a V-6, please don't monkey with the exhaust. There are so many guys around here with V-6 Mustangs with Flowmasters. I guess they think they sound like V-8s. They don't.

I had a '92 LX with 2.3L auto. Oh man was that thing slow. There was nothing fun about that car. I'd pick the V8, or '11 V6.

Originally Posted By: oldlugs

...but they won't beat the '05-'09 V8 GTs. The new (2011-) V6 has a similar HP rating, but less torque, and has freeway/fuel economy gears.

True, but I suspect that with the appropriate axle ratio the 3.7 will give the 4.6 3V everything it can handle.

The 3.7 seems to be responding to simple bolt-on modifications about as well as the 4.6 3V does.

Or you can just get a used Mach 1 and smack down 3Vs at will.

Nice video. From a rolling start, the two appear to be extremely close. Objectively, the 6 appears to be the easy choice, in terms of fuel economy and initial cost. Subjectively, there is no choice to be made for those who crave the V-8 rumble.

I realize the slightly older V-6 models are a slower proposition than the new 2011s (but still handsomely quick).

I'd actually get it with the Auto. We own an 2007 V6/5A and it is a good combo. The engine has lots of power, great torque. For an automatic, the transmission is very snappy, responsive, and has a very agressive TQ lock up with allows you to really feel the torque. The amount of power that it has at 1500RPM with TQ lockup is nothing short of amazing to me. I've driven alot of cars, and that is the best automatic I've ever driven.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'd actually get it with the Auto. We own an 2007 V6/5A and it is a good combo. The engine has lots of power, great torque. For an automatic, the transmission is very snappy, responsive, and has a very agressive TQ lock up with allows you to really feel the torque. The amount of power that it has at 1500RPM with TQ lockup is nothing short of amazing to me. I've driven alot of cars, and that is the best automatic I've ever driven.

Keep your automatic. Not everyone wants a slushbox!

Honestly, I'd take a V6 manual over a GT auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back