2004 toyota sienna recommendations, 0W20??

Hi folks, Picked up a 2004 Sienna. I've driven it 4k miles. Hardly any oil loss and the oil is still clean. Doing a first to me OC. I've read that Toyota has back spec'd this vehicle to 0W20, 0W25. Oil cap says 5W30. Is it worth trying to get a little better fuel mileage by going to the lighter weight? Any advice greatly appreciated. Already baught a jug of Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic 0W20. Guess I should of asked first, but I'm thinking I'll do fine with it. Thanks in advance...

With a car this old, all that matters is that it's changed regularly, especially on a vehicle that burns little to no oil.
Pick a grade that's convenient for you. Likely the same grade other vehicles in your fleet use.

Don't overthink this.

Run what ever you so desire. My old 2004 Camry consumed quite of bit of oil with 400k on the clock, I ran delo 15/40. No issues, consumed less oil

I used to own one of this year Sienna.
I fill in with 5w-30 oil with ph3600 size filter (no I don't use the ph3600 just filter with that size).

Reactions: wlk
I’d stick with 5W30, I have a much newer version of your engine (2016) and it’s spec’d for 0W20 and I’m thinking of switching to 5W30 for my next oil change...should be at 110,000 miles by then.

Do not use 0W20 in it. The 3MZ from that era was never back-spec'd for an XW20 oil. You can go with 0W30 if you must have a lighter oil than 5W30.

According to Toyota, 0w-20 can be used in your van @dino33 . Use it!

Thanks guys, I already bought it and just took the plunge. So far I don't hear any extra noises from the engine. Smooth and quiet. Feels good. I'll watch it closely to see if I'm losing any oil. As long as the back spec's are legit I should be fine, hopefully!

This chart has floated around for years.
Sorry about the fuzziness.

ToyotaOilChart-capture.jpg

I normally do my own oil changes but I have been too busy. I went to the Toyota dealership where the vehicle has been serviced for its entirety before I bought it and got a 100,000 mile service done which includes coolant engine oil and filter. On the invoice I noticed they put in 0W 20 even though the cap and manual require 5W 30. I was pretty upset until I came on here and found this diagram from Toyota. It is going to be a short interval because I am 2000 miles over the 100,000. I will probably go back to 5W 30 after the short interval.

Back