2004 Tacoma with Toyota Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained and filled my wife's Highlander not too long ago with Zerex Asian formula and have some left over. My Tacoma's coolant reservoir looks empty, so I was going to rinse it out and fill with the Zerex Asian pink stuff... eventually I will flush the Tacoma and use Zerex asian pink in it, but any harm from mixing the Zerex and Toyota Red do you think?

Pink is good but if you add it to the red you will not benefit from the super long life that it offers. Forget the flush, drain and fill with pink and your good to go.

Ok.. I've read too many posts saying dont add the pink to red and vise-versa, just needed a little reassurance that I should not sweat mixing the two. Like I said... my plan is to eventually replace all of the red with the pink, so probably before summer this year I will drain and fill the Tacoma with the pink stuff.

Both are ridiculously overpriced. I got a gallon of red yesterday for $27 and change. At least it's full strength. Pink will cost the same and its already premixed. What a ripoff.

So is the consensus that it is in fact ok to mix the Toyo Red with the Pink stuff? (Zerex) I would assume no harm will come to my truck in doing so....

There's Toyota TSB indicating red and pink can be mixed without issues. You just wont' be getting the super long life benefits as you would if only pink was in there.

my T4R came with pink from the factory, I opted to go with red on the first flush and all future changes since it's cheaper and I do yearly flushes anyway so no point going with the pink.

Quote:
Both are ridiculously overpriced. I got a gallon of red yesterday for $27 and change. At least it's full strength. Pink will cost the same and its already premixed. What a ripoff.
True that. IIRC, when I priced both over a year ago, the full strength red was actually less expensive than the pink, seems like the red was ~$18, pink ~$22. Afaik the Toyota pink is supposed to be long(er) life.

To the OP, if you're planning a flush with the pink (either Toyota or ZerexA), since it's premix how do you plan on getting a 50% cooling system concentration? Easy to do with full strength, without draining block tough to do with premix. As suggested, if you're going to use pink(premix), just do a rad. drain and refill, and do it more often than recommended maintenance schedule.

I'd say Zerex Asian would be safe to mix with Toyota red or pink. That said, I don't prefer/like premix.

I guess I did say flush, didn't I? If I end up using the premix, I'll just do drain and fills.. which is most likely what I will do.. It is about the same price.. 2 gallons of premix (Zerex) cost about $28 at my local Napa when I did a d/f on the Highlander...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back